opeth in milan - the day after

Oct 29, 2001
just a brief comment to let you all know how the gig in milan went.

madder mortem got on stage at 8pm, perfectly on time, and played for more or less 50 minutes.
i state in advance i didn't know the band before, so it was something new for me, and usually i'm not too easily impressed at first listening; their performance was quite good in my opinion (someone was complaining about some problems with the sound, but i don't think it was so evident, or i'm getting deaf). the singer has a really good voice, and an ok level of energy on stage, probably to compensate the bass player's, lol.

at 9 o'clock it was opeth time, and lots of people from the back rows came forward to fill every possible room left.
the atmosphere was getting really hot. to describe how i felt when the red curtains opened, the word "excited" is surely not enough.
the setlist was the same as every other date (can't recall if in the exact order, though), plus a double encore: when they came back on stage - after a couple of minutes of "opeth! opeth!" prayers - they announced they would have played a song they seldom had performed before. and that song was harvest. that was really amazing, i don't know how mikael can sing like that at the end of a gig. after that, the "usual" demon of the fall drew the ending line. jesus, two hours!!
i would have liked to hear them play master's apprentices - and probably i'm not the only one - and i didn't like the lights that much (after having seen the pictures taken in paris, the ones in milan were probably quite shitty in comparison), but i can't really complain at all, the show was fantastic.

after the show, the guys came out ready to meet the fans, to talk with them and to sign everything they gave them to sign (i've seen lots of people giving them their entire discography plus tickets and posters to sign :eek: and i thought that my ticket + just one booklet was too much).
they've been really nice; ok the audience was really warm last night, but i don't think after a long tour and after a 2 hours long gig i'd have the strenght to do that, if i were in their shoes.

opethpainter took some pictures, and i guess he'll let you know when (if) he uploads them :)

Awesome gig!
It was nice to see how Mike interacted with the audience and "Harvest" was a real surprise and came quite unexpected!
I really appreciated the friendliness of the band with their fans after the show, it was incredible to talk to Mike and Peter for such a long time as if we were chatting with friends!
They are sooo kind and nice!

Oh man!, Harvest!, thats wicked. I want to hear it badly, anyone have recordings of this show?!!, cause I could trade you the Philly show for it (thanks D6S6M6 :) ).

yes guys, if everything goes OK on thursday i'll get my photos...

expect something special, since there are so many photos taken after the concert with the band. yeah, we talked like we were friends since a lifetime ago... and also mikael remembered the other times he met me when i gave him my drawings [not the original copies, of course!].

here's the tracklist:

the leper affinity [a classical opening]
advent [play it 'till death]
deliverance [finally a new song played on stage]
godhead's lament [fucking amazing... really, no words can describe their performance on this song]
the drapery falls [the smash hit single]
credence [4ever beautiful]
bleak [mike was god on the clean vox of the chorus]
a fair judgement [ok, ok, opeth comes from another planet...]

encores:

HARVEST [fuck!!!!! they played harvest!!!!!!! but i also think that mikael was wrong on the last verse...]
demon of the fall [the end]

What to say more? All of the guy who attended yesterday already told the amazing and exciting show!!
And what to say more about the tracklist??? Harvest!!! The played Harvest!! I have goose pimples now thinking about it... But the whole tracklist i liked... Guys, i don't know what else add... i'm waiting impatient for opethpainter pics... and it would be a great thing to try to find out if there's a recording of the concert.. that's all...

mmmmh, i think mikael said that they had played it just a couple of times before, maybe in some of these new european shows in spain\portugal\france