Opeth influences....

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Often times I put on Mercyful Fate's early albums (Mellisa/Don't Break The Oath).....and whenever I do, I can't help but wonder if Mikael is/was a fan or not. Mellisa in particular has a very similar structure to earlier stuff, say, Morningrise etc. Anybody ever heard him make reference to them?

Incidentally, I would suggest Mellisa in particular to anybody who likes Opeth and is looking for "similar" stuff. I realize there are vast differences....but songs like Satan's Fall are really Opeth style epics, and both albums are a good snapshot of the kind of thing Opeth is doing now (Albeit without a Death vocal) from all the way back in the early 80's. I think that all Opeth fans would dig the shit out of the first two Fate albums.....If you've never heard 'em....try 'em.

Also, while I'm diggin' in the past here, let me recommend both Beyond the Gates, and Seven Churches by Possessed. Not real easy to find, but to very early Death metal albums that are awesome. Jeff B's voice reminds me of Mikael's, a little bit anyway, on, say, The Funeral Portrait.......

I also hear a good deal of Coroner in Opeth's guitar work. I think Mikael said he was into them. Well worth checking out, one of the most original thrash bands I've heard. Maybe some Voivod as well.

Obviously Maiden are influences on the great guitar harmonies (Priest too). I see similarities with Mikeals singing on Deliverance with David Vincent (ex-Morbid Angel) but I think that's simply down to natural singing styles, not influences.
BTW Damnation may have been influenced by old folk bands like Pentangle.

Oh yeah....the Morbid Angel influence is pretty obvious on Deliverance. Especially Master's Apprentices. I've never heard Coroner....which somebody mentioned above here. Frankly, on Blackwater Park anyway, I also hear a Tool influence.......