Opeth inspired by... Immortal?

Tempo is similar but the riffs are pretty different tbh, although its hard to tell what Immortal are actually playing thanks to the production

well the notes are indeed the same, but there are only 4 of them, it's literally impossible to come up with a 4-note sequence that hasn't been thought of before

Immortal is very famous here. I can almost see that surfboard picture right now.

Definitely similar. But what the hell, it wouldn't be the first time Mike has "stolen" a riff. And to be honest, the riff in TLE is a hell of a lot more groovy. Sure it's the same progression, but that isn't really everything.

He's said he loves Black Metal, and the early records have some fairly clear BM influences, I don't doubt he's heard Immortal a couple of times.

well the notes are indeed the same, but there are only 4 of them, it's literally impossible to come up with a 4-note sequence that hasn't been thought of before

Mike Å said:
Yes, sounds like the same riff. I have that album (on vinyl) but can't say I've ever listened to it all the way through, and certainly not deliberately stolen anything from it. But, yes, same riff pretty much.

There ya go.

Hmmm at least when making such a video, the maker should add more parts or more similiraties instead of being "obsessed" with that only riff. Pretty boring in fact.. and there's simply nothing special about those two riffs that makes them particulary similar.

Hmmm at least when making such a video, the maker should add more parts or more similiraties instead of being "obsessed" with that only riff. Pretty boring in fact.. and there's simply nothing special about those two riffs that makes them particulary similar.

Agreed mate, with this thinking u may find countless songs in metal generally that sound the same, when they make riffs they just can't avoid similarity sometimes