Opeth Inspired Original Music

I have this acoustic passage in a song that is very inspired by how the first part in "Benighted" is played, although it sounds nothing like it.

That happens to me a lot, I will aim for a certain sound or feel that I hear in an Opeth song and it ends up coming out completely different, though in my head there is still a connection. I think Mikael touches on that aspect in the Rehearsal Tapes DVD when he speaks of Burden. He said he was going for a certain Scorpions' song vibe, though the song came out sounding nothing like the actual Scorpions track.

To Mantraschism:
I'll have to check out your tunes tonight as I'm stuck at work for the time being.

@ever dying: Thanks man, I appreciate that. =]

@Amaran9th: Cool man, thanks! \m/

I'm recording a new song now. Again, the song's not really new - I'd say winter 2006. I'm going to TRY to take my time with the recording (I tend to get impatient), and make it good, but it should be up in a few days, at latest.

I've been playing guitar for maybe 3 years now. I've mostly been playing other people's songs, but lately I've been trying to write stuff, and it seems like when I write stuff it sounds like another band that I listen to. And I don't want it to be like that, if I have a band I want it to be original, not another band trying to sound just like Opeth. It's fucking hard as hell to write original stuff that sounds good. Anybody else have a problem with this.

I would say yes, when I first began to write original songs I probably came off as a rip off of whatever bands I was into at the time (this was long before Opeth). The more you write I think you truly develop your own sound and then can take inspiration and turn it into something unique while still staying true to your influences.

Just keep writing and eventually you'll break away from that feeling. I'd have to agree with Mikael that 80% of the things I write turn to shit the next day when I hear them again, but there's usually a gem that sneaks through.

It takes a while to develop a style you can really call 'yours' - much longer than three years, for me. It's natural to copy those who inspire you. Just look at Opeth: didn't Mike say he wanted 'Watershed' to be like a metal version of Scott Walker's 'The Drift'? It didn't quite come out that way, I think, because Opeth do have a style all their own, they've been playing so long. But fifteen years ago? Not so much.

In other words, I'm telling you to just hang in there and try not to get too impatient. Time has a way of changing how you think, play, and write music, as you hear more stuff, experience more things, get better at your instrument, etc. Your individuality will eventually become evident in your music.

Good luck and take care!

Thanks man, glad you liked it! It's a very personal song, lyrically.

Speaking of 'Enemies', I've uploaded the revised version. I basically just touched it up here and there: the guitars are fuller, I redid some vocals, added some harmonies, etc. I think it's better than the old version. Check it out!