Opeth last night

Useful to go to an expensive concert to get stoned and drunk...
You could do that at home for free.

D.

I'm with Dennis here. I just cannot get into them, though there are some aspects in their music that I find interesting, the overall sensation does not fit my tastes.
As far as concerts go, I'll be attending Porcupine Tree, The Gathering, Brad Meldhau and probably Headway fest and Iron Maiden. Also there are more than probable dates on summer for Pat Metheny (which I higly recommend live!), so this year is going to totally rock!

keeper of the flame said:
I agree but on the other hand:
Why do you think the Rolling Stones were ever so popular?

W.
Because they wrote great songs and were (are) a real good live band...

D.

Redelijk said:
Probably the death vocals and endless double bass patterns...

D.

The exact same reason I can't get into them. My girlfriend loves them. She saw them recently and even met them, too.
I've tried to get into their stuff. I don't mind one or two tracks from Deliverance, mostly for the dynamics.
I just don't like the repetitive song structures (some people think they're pretty progressive, I don't see how), each song seems to go on too long with the same parts going 4, 8 or 16 times through *yawn*
The double bass thundering constantly through each song/section gets boring very quickly. It's always the same thing, with no syncopation or offering much to the song. Ironically I quite like the drum sound on Deliverance.
I also find the guitar playing pretty dull, too.

If it wasn't for the clean vocal and softer sections, I would think absolutely nothing of them.

I gotta admit.. great musicians.
I watched Opeth from the side of the stage at the Dynamo fest last summer and the drummer has some sick double bass chops. Devin Townsend was standing right next to me obviously impressed by Opeth's show as well. Gotta love backstage passes...
Watched Strapping Young Lad (with Gene Hoglan) from the side of the stage too. Ed Warby and Soulfly's drummer were standing next to me watching Hoglan and we all just stared with our mouths open.

Anyways...
I did a clinic at ProgPower 2000. After my clinic, some really dark guy with his hair over his face came up to me and started talking to me in some really hard to understand language... After a couple of sentences I realised it was English with some heavy accent. He was very shy and kept complimenting me about my clinic. He told me he played bass in a project and would love me to play drums on their cd. I wrote my email address and phone number down, and he told me he'd call me soon.
I then asked where he was from and what his project was called. He told me he was from Sweden, and then he told me he was playing at the fest later. When I asked which of the bands he played in, he said "Opeth" (who were the headliners).
I didn't know Opeth at the time (only the name).
Funniest thing was that when Opeth went on stage, the guy I talked to appeared to actually be their drummer (Martin?). So appearantly he also plays bass when he's not playing drums for Opeth.

Never heard from him again though...

Dennis

Redelijk said:
Because they wrote great songs and were (are) a real good live band...

D.

I'm sorry but to me the Rolling Stones have become a big Charade.
I used to be a Stones fan for years,I liked their cheeky approach to songwriting and music, but they have turned into a drag. Endless repetition of the same guitartricks. Only doing albums and tours when they need money etc. They were an excellent 70's band. In the 80's they tried to follow every trend from disco, reggae to punk. Never in the lead . In the 90's they ripped themselves off. And those great live shows are only great because of the extra line up of singers and musicians and stage attributes. I'm sorry but to see a couple of old corpes going through a setlist of old favourites which Jagger just wants to get over with is pathetic. Greatest rock & roll band in the world (like they are announced on the live Get yer yayas out! true, but those days are over)

W.

Ultima Ibanez Overlord said:
The exact same reason I can't get into them. My girlfriend loves them. She saw them recently and even met them, too.
I've tried to get into their stuff. I don't mind one or two tracks from Deliverance, mostly for the dynamics.
I just don't like the repetitive song structures (some people think they're pretty progressive, I don't see how), each song seems to go on too long with the same parts going 4, 8 or 16 times through *yawn*
The double bass thundering constantly through each song/section gets boring very quickly. It's always the same thing, with no syncopation or offering much to the song. Ironically I quite like the drum sound on Deliverance.
I also find the guitar playing pretty dull, too.

If it wasn't for the clean vocal and softer sections, I would think absolutely nothing of them.
Yeah, i agree with that!

Man, is it a good thing that everyone has a different taste ;)

Most of the stuff u guys don't like I really love in Opeth. Normally I don't care much for grunting vocals but with this guy...it just fits in so brilliantly with the way the riffs are written. The guitarists hardly ever play the same chords and really some of the disharmonic stuff they pull off would theoretically sound out of tune but with them it just doesn't. And repeating bass drum patterns? Yeah, years ago on their old albums. Lately it's all about the dynamics between soft and extremely heavy.

Let's face it, how many bands actually sound like Opeth? Remember how difficult it is to sound original nowadays and they have actually found a way to do it!

Well, enough raving from me, I guess u all already knew I liked them ;)

Rgdz

Eddy

I think Opeth really did an amazing job, I saw them once on Dynamo but this show was lot's and lot's better... very, very fascinating...