Opeth- London Gig.

We've been here since about half nine and met and talked to Peter and Martin Lopez for a good while, then Peter and Mikael came out and we had a natter with them. Got photos, tickets signed, etc etc. Should be an awesome gig.

OfficerDown said:
Can anyone give me directions to the Empire? From the Shepherds Bush tube station that is...
There are of course (just to be confusing) two Shepherds Bush Empire Stations.

One is on the Central Line and the other is on the Metropolitan (Hammersmith Branch) line.

From
http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/INFO/SHEPBUSHEMPIRE.HTM

Capacity: Unreserved events: Stalls - 1150; Level 1 - 340; Level 2 - 225; Level 3 - 285; Total - 2000. Reserved seating events: Stalls - 356; Level 1 - 266; Level 2 - 201; Level 3 - 275; Total - 1098.

Directions: Exit Shepherds Bush Green tube station and turn right. Straight up to the Green and the Empire is located on the right.

Public Transport: Nearest Tube - Shepherds Bush (Central line and Hammersmith & City). Buses - 49, 72, 94 95, 207, 220, 237, 260, 283, 295, 607. Parking: Limited street parking. NCP car park on Shepherds Bush Green.

Venue Box Office Information:
Open 12:00pm - 5:00pm Mon - Sat. Tickets for gigs at Brixton Academy can also be bought here.

However, best looking at this map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=523334&Y=179781&A=Y&Z=1

The Empire is more or less next door to 'The Walkabout' on the west side of the green. There's an O'Neills pub on the other side I think.

Does anyone know if there is a support band tonight and if so who it is?

Also any idea when they will be on stage.

Cheers

Scratch that people.

I've just looked at the Shepards Bush Empire's website.

No Support

First Set 8:00
Second Set 9:30

I think I'll stay in the bushranger until 9:30 catch the second.

Only kidding.

Alex Guinness said:
Is The Bushranger the pub next door?

No that's either O'neills or the Walkabout.

Please don't take my last post as a suggested venue for a quick pre-gig pint. I have to be honest I've never been in but it doesn't take my fancy.

If you're like me and enjoy a pint of the black stuff (as your name suggests) I would venture into o'neills.

bennylove said:
No that's either O'neills or the Walkabout.

Please don't take my last post as a suggested venue for a quick pre-gig pint. I have to be honest I've never been in but it doesn't take my fancy.

If you're like me and enjoy a pint of the black stuff (as your name suggests) I would venture into o'neills.

The name was carefully chosen, you are correct...

O'Neills' it is then.

Alex Guinness said:
Just got in from the Shepherds Bush gig...

A great night, especially getting Demon Of The Fall as an encore...

Very happy

That's good that they played Demon Of The Fall as an encore, but unless MFN shows some heart, it won't be on the DVD. Was the rest of the setlist as advertised? Any special moments?

Set 1:

Windowpane

In My Time Of Need

Death Whispered A Lullaby

Closure

Hope Leaves

To Rid The Disease

Ending Credits

Harvest

Weakness

Set 2:

Master's Apprentices

The Drapery Falls

Deliverance

The Leper Affinity (I got out at the end of the song.. first row for 2 hours was pretty much unbearable.. did they play "Fair Judgement"?)

Demon Of The Fall (Does anyone know if they recorded it for the DVD?)

That's all. I'm exhausted. I was giving a fight for the whole gig. 6th time I see Opeth.. great once more. Lopez doesn't give a shit about recordings or anything, he improvises every single second. He rulez :)

Brilliant Gig. I thought the Damnation stuff especially sounded excellent.

One thing though why was there so many people throwing up last night. I counted three, one guy splattered others boots with hilarous consequences.

TheMindzI said:
Lopez doesn't give a shit about recordings or anything, he improvises every single second. He rulez :)
Lopez was totally on form. Love it when he's in that kind of mood. In some songs he was just off in a world of his own. It think that's his best drumming performace i've seen - because of all the improvisation :) It's gonna be a rather special DVD!

Kozmos said:
Lopez was totally on form. Love it when he's in that kind of mood. In some songs he was just off in a world of his own. It think that's his best drumming performace i've seen - because of all the improvisation :) It's gonna be a rather special DVD!
Yep, it was cool to be able to see him so clearly - not hidden away at the back of the crappy Mean Fiddler stage. I found myself watching him even more than Mikael - my favourite bit was the second half of Closure - awesome stuff

Here's my crappy review of the show :)

Yeah it was good, though I have to say that I enjoyed the first set more than the second - basically because I had a good view for that set and I didn't get jostled so much by my neighbours.
The downstairs section of the Empire was pretty full. Not as packed as I've seen it for a few bands, but at least there was some room to move and breath. There were some people on the first balcony. Don't know how they got there as security wouldn't let me go up there.

There were about 4 proper cameras plus a couple of handhelds floating around. There was one fixed camera on the left hand side of the bar at the back of the stalls, with another camera on a track in front of the mixing desk (able to move parallel with the stage), another in the first circle (I think) and another operated by a technician on stage. Martin Lopez's drums were sited back right of the stage, with a set of keyboards, back left (shrouded in black sheets - I really wanted to know if there was a 'real' mellotron on stage). The other Martin, Peter and Mikael took up their usual positions and there was a big backdrop with the O of Opeth on it. Lighting was subdued - lots of purple, blue, green and some white - hope that they were bright enough to produce a crisp image.

Opeth were due on stage around 8PM, but didn't actually appear until 8:15. The crowd was fairly enthusiastic and pretty loud. As the intro music faded, they went into Windowpane - a lovely tune which came over very well. As the tune ended Mikael spoke for quite a long time, explaining that the band were fairly tense and were going to try and perform with "no fuck-ups" - something they achieved as far as these ears were concerned.

They played the Damnation album straight through, save for the insertion of Harvest in between Ending Credits and Weakness . Mikael swapped back and forth between electric and acoustic guitars and for once I was able to see the face of Martin Mendez as he wasn't headbanging his way through the set for once :) It was pretty much as per the CD with the exception of Closure, where the band seemed to have fun with the second part of the song, speeding up considerably as the song came to an end. Awesome - particularly Mr Lopez's drumming.

After a good long break of half an hour or so, Opeth returned for the second set around 9:45PM. . This was the heavy set and it got off to a great start with Master's aprentices, which I'm not sure I've heard them play live before. The Drapery Falls was great but not quite as awesome as I'd expected, but maybe the fact that I was getting sprayed with beer by some of my neighbours took the edge off this for me.

"You guys having a good time? It's a bit different to the first set" joked Mikael, before announcing "One of the top 3 Opeth songs we've recorded" - namely Deliverance - the crowd loved it. Then after a further announcement from Mikael (which was spoken too quietly for me to hear clearly) The Leper Affinity which I thoroughly enjoyed. I really must replace the copy of Blackwater Park that I got rid of.

Then before introducing the last song, Mikael mentioned that "we're no longer four" and explained that for the Damnation tour, Per Wiberg (Spiritual Beggars) was playing keyboards (and doing backing vocals). It wasn't clear to me whether he was just on board for the tour or as a permanent member. Anyone know? The final song of the second set was the brilliant A Fair Judgement.

They came back of course for the obligatory encore - which will not appear on the DVD. Before that, Mikael had the audience perform first a death metal growl and then a high-pitched scream - neither of which seemed to meet his exacting standards - 'Not quite David Vincent', he joked - but it was for fun anyway. I guess that because Music For Nations are funding the DVD, no pre-Blackwater Park material was being recorded - which is a shame. Can't have a real Opeth gig without Demon of the Fall, can we?

The crowd were pretty enthusiastic and fairly noisy - Mikael and the band seemed to be very pleased with the crowd reaction (obviously he couldn't hear the assholes who were talking throughout most of the gig). The band seem to really like playing London.

Opeth

set 1:
  • Windowpane
    In my Time of Need
    Death Whispered a Lullaby
    Closure
    Hope Leaves
    To Rid the Disease
    Ending Credits
    Harvest
    Weakness
set 2:
  • Master's Aprentices
    The Drapery Falls
    Deliverance
    The Leper Affinity
    A Fair Judgement
Encore (NOT on the DVD)
  • Demon of The Fall

Good review...

There were seperate tickets for the balcony, two of my friends were up there as they were told that the standing tickets had sold out. They apparently had a great and clear view. Standing tickets had not sold out though as my girlfriend managed to buy one from the Box Office about 8:10.

I too was a little disappointed with some of the other members of the crowd, there seemed to be many kids in the audience that wanted to try their hand at a death metal vocal at a particularly quiet time (presumably so that they could brag to their mates "That was me!" on the DVD). Unfortunately most of the quiet times were in the middle of the Damnation tracks... I couldn't help being disappointed and thinking "Have some fucking respect for the band and their performance".

Mikael always seems to tell the London crowd that we are the best crowd, but he may just do that everywhere. Maybe he couldn't heat some of the idiots talking all the way through (why do these people go to the gig in the first place?!), but I think he was quite aware of all the kids trying to get noticed. He did seem a little more chatty and in upbeat mood than the usual shy frontman I have come to expect.

As ever, though... I came away very happy and am pleased that I made the sacrifices to afford to go.

Has anything further been mentioned about a projected release date? I seem to remember November and March have been mentioned. November would make sense for the Christmas marketing, but would that not be a little quick?

Are there any extras beyond the performance due to be added to the DVD?

Thanks to all the people that made last night positive, they far outnumbered the self-obsessed kids.

I was up in the balcony aswell, and to be honest I couldn't hear that much talking during the tracks, apart from during Weakness, but maybe it was because I wasn't on the floor. Some fucking journalist woman came and sat next to me during the damnation set, and asked me for all the track names...I gave her 3 and got fed up, so I gave her 2 fake ones and said I didn't know the rest. Fcuking annoying though, as she made me miss Closure...she also started to cry when her camera was taken off her. Luckily she didn't sit next to us during the Heavy set, but I did see her bothering other people down the front...

Anyway, it was amazing. The Demon of the Fall was amazing, as was the whole show. Their playing was flawless, and Lopez was brilliant. I also really liked Per's backing vocals...I can't wait to get the dvd...

Was it just me or did the sound sound weird during Weakness? It might have just been where I was sitting, but it sounded all fuzzy...oh well. It's a minor point, and the whole night was awesome.

Well they'll probably keep the pricks screaming during the songs out of the recording. I don't think the audio on the DVD will be *exactly* what we heard last night.. it'll be much clearer.

Alex Guinness said:
I too was a little disappointed with some of the other members of the crowd, there seemed to be many kids in the audience that wanted to try their hand at a death metal vocal at a particularly quiet time (presumably so that they could brag to their mates "That was me!" on the DVD). Unfortunately most of the quiet times were in the middle of the Damnation tracks... I couldn't help being disappointed and thinking "Have some fucking respect for the band and their performance".

YES! i had to move three or four times because i had people behind me shouting so bloody loudly.

It wasn't funny in the first place. Screaming it does not make it any more funny.