Opeth- London Gig.

TheMindzI said:
Well they'll probably keep the pricks screaming during the songs out of the recording. I don't think the audio on the DVD will be *exactly* what we heard last night.. it'll be much clearer.

Hardly any audience noise is picked up on the microphones, but it'll still probably need quite a bit of tweaking to edit it out. I really hope they succeed, otherwise it'll ruin the DVD for me.

landfill said:
YES! i had to move three or four times because i had people behind me shouting so bloody loudly.

It wasn't funny in the first place. Screaming it does not make it any more funny.
that fucking bitch who screamed bloody murder as Mikael started to sing Hope Leaves (right after he proclaimed it one of his fave songs) needs to be put down.

oh and i noticed the cameras were still filming while Demon of the Fall was being played....?

Malis said:
that fucking bitch who screamed bloody murder as Mikael started to sing Hope Leaves (right after he proclaimed it one of his fave songs) needs to be put down.

oh and i noticed the cameras were still filming while Demon of the Fall was being played....?
I was quite suprised when he said it was one of his favourites, but I also missed the start of the song because the fucking woman started asking me questions again :yell:

And yeah I noticed the cameras were still on too...the one up on the balcony was atleast...

They'll probably use it as extra video footage, cos i doubt they'll be able to get the publishing rights for the music.

But it is great they played it- A Fair Judgement is a fantastic song, but exactly the worst one to end a gig with

amazing gig, they should have played Blackwater Park and Funeal Portrait but meh...

was knackering standing so long, but i had a great view for both sets and i scored Akerfeldts pic, so im pretty pleased to say the least :D

The crowd was amazing. They really knew how to enjoy a gig and how to mosh. I came out totally knackered but with no injuries.

I hope if any of the crowd banter got onto the recording that they're selective with what they keep. Some of it was stupid but some of it was funny.

Fuck the 2 6ft+ guys at the front left. Why didn't they give anyone a chance to see? I also couldn't see Lopez or Mendez for the whole show. I watched Mendez the whole time at Birmingham though, but I still want a gig where I can see Lopez. I feel really sorry for the people that are even shorter than me, especially most of the women there.

Shepherd's Bush Empire is probably now one of my favourite venues. Everytime I go it never gets too hot. Despite being asthmatic I didn't have to leave the pit once.

It was simply an awesome gig but I wouldn't be surprised if the atmosphere is lost on the recording. But that's why I went in the first place; to give the DVD more meaning to me personally.

EDIT: I looked at the merch stand both before and after the gig and could only see shirts. However at McDonalds afterwards someone had a Damnation CD and something folded up. Possibly a poster or leaflet. Anyway, I was hoping that they'd be selling posters of the PDF file that's on the official site. If they were did anyone get one?

Yeah the shirts were rather expensive weren't they! It was a blinding show, some very annoying people in the crowd tho, kept glaring at em thinking *Shut the f**k up!*.

Deafbystereo said:
Yeah the shirts were rather expensive weren't they! It was a blinding show, some very annoying people in the crowd tho, kept glaring at em thinking *Shut the f**k up!*.
They weren't too bad, for shortsleeve at least. I was only going to buy a shirt if there was one specifically for the night. There seemed to be some with the Damnation artwork on them, but I don't consider last night to be part of the Damnation tour so I didn't want one of the shirts.

Hehe, at the gig in Stockholm the crowd was so quiet between the songs Mikael always said something like "Be more quiet please" and smiled.

Hope Leaves: I know the bitch you were talking about. She completely ruined some of the songs in the mellow set for me too. I was sat on the other side of her (I was the one with a part afro / part braided hair :p) She asked me a couple of song names as well, so I just said I didn't know them. She wasn't even a fan either if I overheard your conversation with her correctly - you told her the song Closure had been played and she hadn't even heard of it and had to ask whether it was Closer or Closure. I found it tremendously funny when she came back and started balling her eyes out though! Respect to the steward for confiscating her camera.

I also noticed the cameras still recording for Demon of the Fall. They have done that as an encore at each of the 3 gigs I've been to. I was impressed with how quickly they returned to the stage too - I remember them really taking the piss at one of the other gigs, people must have been shouting for 10 minutes at least.

£22 for a tee shirt and £28 for a long sleeve is definitely not cool. I don't understand why they were so expensive - who sets that price? At the previous two Opeth gigs they have been normal price - about £10-15 for a tee.

Definitely the best Opeth gig I've been to and probably the best gig. I would have preferred the heavy set to have been a bit longer but they'd obviously already played a lot of material.

i was on the front row, right hand side and there were some very annoying girls behind me (they must have been abouit 14) who kept trying to shout opeth in a death voice during the damnation set. and failing, and sounding like complete twats. they were also complaining that short people cant get to the front all the time and that they were being crushed.

had these people never been to a concert before???

unfortunatley me and my 2 friends had to bail out before demon of the fall to get a bus (which we missed anyway, i've only just got back home. grr), but i've seen it played 3 times before...

fucking amazing concert, they were really on form. i didnt hear a single mistake, apart from a loud pop during one of the quiet songs.. cant remember whihc.. (weakness?), but im sure that can be edited out. apart from that, mikaels voice was perfect, always in tune, per ruled and i remembered thinking 'i never remebered lopez being that good!'. lopez did some amazing drumming.

they were also a lot more active on stage, moving around quite a lot which was good. really enthusiastic. much more than normal.

Jesus christ guys.Lets calm down a little.The crowd shouting was no different to what you would get at any other gig,i dont see why some of you expected it to be different at this show just because its for a dvd,and it wasnt even that bad at all in the first place.Most of it was funny.And personally i thought it was quite cool at the amount of young kids at the show.

Anyway,the gig was incredible,even though i was and still am really fucking sick.Yesterday morning i wasnt going,but then i was like "fuck it,its opeth",and just had to deal with it.I cant belive how well they played the whole of Damnation,and is it just me,but did they add about 2-3 minutes extra in the middle of closure? Which in my opinion was one of the best songs of the night.They was they picked up the tempo on the last part and all started to headbang was excellent.That'll be a great moment on the dvd.And the fact that they played Masters Apprentices made the whole experience worthwhile on its own.

ChrisEmerson said:
yeh they added a lot to the middle of closure, presumabley so mikael could change guitars (which he did), but it sounded very cool anyway.
yeah i noticed that when he changed guitars they didnt kick in the the bit that they were supposed to play.Then for the next three minutes or more i was thinking "why arent they playing the last build up of the song",and then they kicked in to it,and it was incredible.They should have played it in the heavy set!

Most definately the best gig I've ever been to :)

For once I didn't have a random token nutter behind me in the queue, which made a nice change! Infact it was possibly the most well-behaved queue-outside-of-a-metal gig I've ever stood in.

I perched myself on the ledge near the camera guy on the left hand side downstairs & got a perfect view of the whole band all the way through the first set until i lost my spot in the 'interval'.

Sound & stage presence I could not fault. Mikaels voice was amazing. Drapery Falls & Deliverence sounded awesome.

I totally agree about the merchandise prices. But I ended up buying a skinny-tee anyway. Was gonna get a hoodie, until i saw the price...£45...no fuckin chance!

Had to leave just after A Fair Judgement started cos I had to get right to the other side of London, so I missed Demon of the Fall, arse :(

Well worth the 9 hours of travelling to get there & back! So glad i went

robin said:
Hope Leaves: I know the bitch you were talking about. She completely ruined some of the songs in the mellow set for me too. I was sat on the other side of her (I was the one with a part afro / part braided hair :p) She asked me a couple of song names as well, so I just said I didn't know them. She wasn't even a fan either if I overheard your conversation with her correctly - you told her the song Closure had been played and she hadn't even heard of it and had to ask whether it was Closer or Closure. I found it tremendously funny when she came back and started balling her eyes out though! Respect to the steward for confiscating her camera.
Yeah, she kept asking if it was Closer or Clover or something so I got fed up and said i didn't know...I'm still really annoyed that she made me miss Closure though. And yes, I also thought it was hilarious when she came back crying...although it took her long enough to hand her camera over...Anyway it was the only bad thing about the night, and it was still great :)

Hope LeavesWas it just me or did the sound sound weird during Weakness? It might have just been where I was sitting said:
Yes, there was some interference of somekind. sounded like there was a loose connection or something.