Opeth - London - Review

Wanderingblade

Just Hangin' Around
Jan 5, 2002
Leeds/London, UK
Visit site
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

That was awesome! I missed most of Withering Surface's gig, but they seemed solid from what I've heard.

Arch Enemy were a total step up mind, frenzied and powerful. Angela was one hell of a frontman(woman?), and was a virtuso on Air Guitar. And she looks too small to be doing that with her voice... ah well. My gain, anybody who failed to turn up's loss. Ravenous was definitley the hilight of their end of the gig.

Opeth... Well. We all know this, but it bears repeating again...
OPETH FUCKING RULE!
Interestingly enough, if you hear live mp3s/bootlegs from that gig, and you hear someone growling those same words, thats probably me.
Anyway... they were awesome. Godhead's lament was powerful, The Drapery falls beautiful... Demon of the Fall was :yow::headbang::OMG::worship:

In fact, the only overall downside of the gig in general was the evil way in which they played it last so I couldn't edge to the back and be ready to scamper...

What can I say? Come back Opeth, I miss you already.

Thanks to the band, and all the friendly people at the gig :)

Originally posted by _Transparent_
:lol: i thought the sound at this gig was better, with the underworld you can't hear the vocals if your standing too near, and at the Mean Fiddler its crisper, oh well i like both venues anyway.

Yea the sound usually is crisper at the LA2 but this time I just thought it didn't sound as good.....

They did play absolutely amazingly though....hardly any mistakes

i thought the underworld sound was a bit better the second snare sounded alright but the bass drums were really quite

did you notice Mikey tried to get us to buy the rip-off special edition BWP (tut, tut)

the keyboards in withering surface were cool

Originally posted by Pierogi
i thought the underworld sound was a bit better the second snare sounded alright but the bass drums were really quite

did you notice Mikey tried to get us to buy the rip-off special edition BWP (tut, tut)

the keyboards in withering surface were cool

yeah the keyboardist was one of the funiest people i've seen ever, he was swaying like a woman from side to side like some sort of childrens Tv person in a suit or something (like Big Bird in Sesamee St) classic.

I got there later than I had planned. It was nearly 6PM when I arrived. I didn't really watch Withering Surface or Arch Enemy, at least not very much. I'd watch a little then go try to buy some stuff (I got some stickers and a patch [plus extra for something special for a certain website], a flag, and a shirt.

When it came time for Opeth to play, I made my way up to the front, but was on the right side pretty much right in front of the speaker. I stayed there the whole time. Took some pictures, but who knows how they'll develop. I didn't think the sound was too great, but maybe it was party because I was right in front of the speaker as well. The only time I really felt myself start to really lose myself was in "Demon of the Fall", but there was a part in one of the songs (I think it was "Godhead's Lament" or "The Drapery Falls") when I suddenly felt a huge emotion that almost turned into tears. That was kinda weird. Other than that, I just watched, listened, and enjoyed (or tried to because some girl kept thowing her damn hair in my face and eyes).

I felt a little disappointed that I didn't really meet anyone. I knew there were people from here at the show and it would have been nice to say "hi". The people there seemed really awesome. There's something about Opeth fans (or fans at Opeth shows). I felt like I was in a place where I could meet almost anyone and feel comfortable talking with them and be comfortable around them. To say it's rare for me to have that type of feeling would be an understatement. I was actually wondering if I was capable of it, and if so in which setting and with which people. I think I may have found the answer tonight. But I'm such a damn recluse and shy dumbass that I didn't talk to a single person other than the guy at the merchandise booth. Oh, and Peter after the show.

Anyway, cool show. I'm really hoping to be able to go to Birmingham on Thursday as well.

Opeth's playlist (not necessarily in the right order):

The Leper Affinity
Godhead's Lament
The Drapery Falls
Credence
Advent
White Cluster
Demon Of The Fall
um.. am I missing something here? Well I'm tired and stuff.. plz someone help :)

I have only listened to a few Arch Enemy songs but they kicked some serious ass tonight.. Withering Surface was pretty good too, hadn't even heard of them before..
Well, the truth is that I enjoyed Opeth better last December.. the crappy sound and the assholes kicking and pushing (for no apparent reason.. I bet they didn't know either..) contributed to that.. yes u know who u are..
I got a poster signed by all the guys (the Opeth guys that is), a t-shirt, some photos during the concert AND with the guys (I'll post them here as soon as I have them produced and scanned), and met a lot of ppl... all 4 of them, Lee_B, blah blah blah.. I had a great time anyway :) I also heard from Mikael that they had a special playlist for London.. AND he is the one posting here as Mikael Akerfeldt, I asked this one personally :) Keep up the good work guys, u rule!

Originally posted by MountainDweller
The people there seemed really awesome. There's something about Opeth fans (or fans at Opeth shows). I felt like I was in a place where I could meet almost anyone and feel comfortable talking with them and be comfortable around them. To say it's rare for me to have that type of feeling would be an understatement. I was actually wondering if I was capable of it, and if so in which setting and with which people. I think I may have found the answer tonight.

I have to agree! The Opethfans are special. At the
two Opethgigs I've been to there have been no
crazy people there just to mosh... They're all there
for the music, which means they're all enjoying it.

When I last saw them the 18th of May it was at a
metalfestival, and even though the people there
might have come for other bands as well they
were totally cool during the opeth gig. I was up
front and I survived! >:eek:P hehe...

I also noticed that the people there were easy to
talk to. One opening sentence and there you go :eek:)

I'm pretty hesitant to talk to people (or talk period) because of my damn American accent. I hate it! :mad:

Lol! I should've been there then, cause I'd love
to hear your accent! >:eek:) hehe...

I usually don't talk to people either, but the
atmosphere was different at that gig. Or maybe
it was just cause it was in Sweden? The whole
festival was filled with cool people :eek:)

I think I may have seen Lee. Did you and Peter greet eachother and hug outside after the show? Maybe it was someone else.

I met all the guys, but didn't hug any. It was just when the guys got out of Mean Fiddler. Peter was the last one I talked to though. I was wearing a MAYH t-shirt, if that helps..

Yeah there were 4-5 greek guys, including me, and that didn't go unnoticed :p I'll post some pics when that's possible, so you'll see me. I saw a guy... there's a photo of him on that opeth members pics site... his nick is "7-something". That's the only guy I recognised.. and Lee_B. I guess he'll post something if he sees this :)

I think I may have seen Lee. Did you and Peter greet eachother and hug outside after the show? Maybe it was someone else.

Yeah that was me. The fat cunt in the Cock And Ball Torture t-Shirt. Mrs_B wouldn't have been too far behind.

It was a good show. They played really well and it was a good combination of songs. The sound wasn't too great, but the closer I got to the stage the better it got. I'm not a big fan of the Mean Fiddler. It's the same as the Underworld where if you want any kind of a decent view of the band you either have to get squashed up the front or get there when the doors open to snag one of those prime spots upstairs. In an ideal world they'd be playing the Garage (but a bigger version :)), since that's my favorite venue in London.

Good to meet you MindzI. I met Anggi too (Redblueyes), who came from the US for these shows. I also should have met UM Mark, but thanks to a fuck up by some twat at the Mean Fiddler he wasn't on the guest list...

Lee_B

Lee

't was a good gig. Very cool, and most enjoyable, although I don't see the point of crowd-surfing to opeth, but then again, I am getting old, but still ...

Spent most of the opeth gig perched in a place with a nice viewpoint mesmerised, all of the arch enemy set swinging hair about, or trying to, not really enough space... 't was cool.

Withering surface were spent near the bar, good, but not terribly inspiring.

Opeth/Arch Enemy is definetly a good combination though. One of the best gigs I've been to in ages :)

I didn't go:( I couldn't! I was very very sick! I even missed my english exam! I couldn't get off the bed! *cryes again* this is the second opeth gig I've missed! why does my life suck so much?