1st post/opeth in london!

selfabuse

autopenned 24/7!
Dec 2, 2001
Suffolk, England
selfabuse.co.uk
I registered the day I got back from the gig last week but "technical difficulties" have stopped my posting... finally I can post (thanks Ultimate Metal help bloke!)

Anyway, just to say that the gig was awesome.

As a person who has never been to see any european metal bands before it was great to see 2 technically tight bands.
Katatonia played perfectly but I was one of only a few people who was singing along and jumping about! Two blokes behind me were just talking through the set saying stuff like "they're alright but the quicker they get off the more opeth can play" - bastards!

I was also surprised to learn that the singer was soo young and so fat! He also was rather dull and just stood ther tapping his hands but damn could he sing. I was also super surprised at bad murder day (having never heard old katatonia) but it was v cool and the only point where the rest of the crown got
really excited (ended with big applause).

Anyway.. Opeth absolutely rocked. The sound was a bit off. Too distorted and samey (the solo on leper affinity was not too clear) and the strumy part at the start of drapery falls sounded completely wrong (although when they returned to it in the "spiralling to the groud..." part it sounded great. Generally though it was awesome. I had seen people saying that opeth were dull and michael has no stage presence. I was expecting him to take it v seriously and be a bit dull but he was just having fun and loving every moment of it. His english was damn good and he took the piss out of the crowd a bit. The most awsome part of the set was deffinitely Bleak - WOW. I love that song and live it was cool... the fake ending into a solo and then at the end the heavy bit was just insane.

I only have both Opeth and Katatonis last 2 albums each so I didn't know any of the old stuff but it sounded cool although I wish they had played a mellow song between the last too (eg face of melinda). Oh well. Hope they come back soon.

Novembre were cool too. Not what I expected... better. I like their guitarist. He looked like a short haired Bill Bailey on speed.

Yeah I saw them when they came to Frankfurt and opeth deffinately was awsome (thread Concert by opth_001) if you only have 2 opeth than you need to hit the cd store and get "orchid", "mornigrise", and "my arms your hearst" all of which are sweet albums and a must have in your cd collection. Damn I sound like a salesman :) .

Katatonia was sweet too but like you I also only have there last 2 albums :( but reliable sorces tell me that all of there albums are good so I guess I need to hit the cd stores too :) .

As for November I didn't know who they where and didn't really like there style it seemed too ordinary but to each his own. Well I"ve said my 2 cent hoe you enjoyed it if not who cares :)

…

…

…

…

…If only I had a bullet then I'd show them…

Hello, welcome to the board.....I think the way Jonas' stage presence is fits pretty well if you ask me......and by the way it is Brave Murder Day not "Bad"......get ready to get addicted the coolest forum around and have fun:)

Cheers for sharing your experience selfabuse. :D
"His english was damn good and he took the piss out of the crowd a bit" :lol: ;)