Opeth - new album details & US tour coming!!

jem777az

Bozzman
Sep 23, 2007
Peoria, AZ
One of my most anticipated releases of the year!

From Blabbermouth:

Swedish progressive metallers OPETH will release their tenth album, "Heritage", on September 20 via Roadrunner Records. The CD was produced by OPETH vocalist/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt and was recorded earlier this year at Atlantis studios (formerly Metronome studios) in Stockholm. Mixing duties were handled by Steven Wilson (PORCUPINE TREE) and Åkerfeldt. Longtime collaborator Travis Smith also worked with Åkerfeldt to create, design and execute the album's artwork.

"Heritage" will be released in several configurations that will certainly incite the interest of OPETH's legion of fans, known for their passion for collecting and collectibles. The album will be released as a standard version; as a special edition loaded with extras; as a box set exclusive to the Roadrunner and the band's own official Omerch webstore; and as a double LP. There is something for every OPETH fan, thanks to this variety of options.

Commented Åkerfeldt, "It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19."

Åkerfeldt went a little deeper and described the music contained within "Heritage", saying, "It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself.

"It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote, basically, the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste.

"I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record.

"I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like.

"If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be OPETH, but it's different from the stuff we've done before.

"I've listened a lot to ALICE COOPER for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like 'No More Mr. Nice Guy'.

"I hope you'll like it once you hear it."

"Heritage" track listing:

01. Heritage
02. The Devil's Orchard
03. I Feel The Dark
04. Slither
05. Nepenthe
06. Haxprocess
07. Famine
08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth

OPETH will embark on a seven-week, headline tour of the U.S. Dates will be announced imminently.

Last.fm shows an Opeth/Katatonia date in Canada in early October so......

Opeth and Katatonia would be sweet! I pray there's an AZ date. Here's food for thought. How about adding Bloodbath to the bill since the band is pretty much Opeth+Katatonia (minus one of the guitarists). I would be so freaking happy if they could swing that.

Opeth and Katatonia would be sweet! I pray there's an AZ date. Here's food for thought. How about adding Bloodbath to the bill since the band is pretty much Opeth+Katatonia (minus one of the guitarists). I would be so freaking happy if they could swing that.

Actually, the other guitarist is now touring with Katatonia (and was Blakkheim's tech before that), so they'd all be there. I don't think that Bloodbath would really play all that well to a Opeth/Katatonia crowd despite its membership, however.

Actually, the other guitarist is now touring with Katatonia (and was Blakkheim's tech before that), so they'd all be there. I don't think that Bloodbath would really play all that well to a Opeth/Katatonia crowd despite its membership, however.

That's cool I didn't know the other guitarist was with Katatonia.

But I disagree with your other statement. I think Opeth and Katatonia fans are quite aware of Bloodbath and many enjoy them. The stylistic difference between Bloodbath and the other two could be an issue for some people though. But I would still love to see it. If not, then Bloodbath doing a tour of their own. I realize the chances of that are slim though.

That's cool I didn't know the other guitarist was with Katatonia.

But I disagree with your other statement. I think Opeth and Katatonia fans are quite aware of Bloodbath and many enjoy them. The stylistic difference between Bloodbath and the other two could be an issue for some people though. But I would still love to see it. If not, then Bloodbath doing a tour of their own. I realize the chances of that are slim though.

Opeth and Katatonia have some of the most loyal fans I've seen. A good chunk of the fans are crazy about anything Mike or Jonas do, regardless of the style of music (or how "good" it is). Kinda like Devin Townsend and his fans. Thus, I think that a good chunk of the fans in attendance would be thrilled to see Bloodbath on the roster, even though the music is quite different.

However, I personally would prefer if they stayed off the roster and toured separately. I don't know how long the sets would be, but I wouldn't want to take a chance of them suffering any sort of fatigue from playing two sets each night.

Opeth and Katatonia have some of the most loyal fans I've seen. A good chunk of the fans are crazy about anything Mike or Jonas do, regardless of the style of music (or how "good" it is). Kinda like Devin Townsend and his fans. Thus, I think that a good chunk of the fans in attendance would be thrilled to see Bloodbath on the roster, even though the music is quite different.

However, I personally would prefer if they stayed off the roster and toured separately. I don't know how long the sets would be, but I wouldn't want to take a chance of them suffering any sort of fatigue from playing two sets each night.

I totally agree that if doing two sets would cause fatigue and could possibly affect their performance, then don't do it. But I'm afraid that we may never get all the Bloodbath guys together and able to tour the US again. This is a golden opportunity for them to take advantage of their schedules. This is of course assuming that the Opeth/Katatonia tour is a sure thing :lol:

Especially considering Opeth typically does long headline sets from what I hear.

I totally agree that if doing two sets would cause fatigue and could possibly affect their performance, then don't do it. But I'm afraid that we may never get all the Bloodbath guys together and able to tour the US again. This is a golden opportunity for them to take advantage of their schedules.

Soooo....they could add a Bloodbath tune to the encore, with everyone present and jammin', and make it a special one-off moment at each show....