opeth on the front page of NY Times Website???

It's not fake, go to a search engine and search for New York Times. That's the first website you get. This is fucking crazy! And he didn't even bash the vocals!

yeah i heard that review. Its a positive review. But I didnt like it.

First of all, they didnt say anything I haven't heard before. Selection of the music was played, but there was not one moment of clean vocals, and that pissed me off. I could have done a better review and selection of music. Fuck that.

For good or bad, Opeth are hitting it big slowly... and with damnation coming out soon.... ehh..

Mike once said that popularity might tarnish music... I wish they could somehow become more underground again, but I guess there isn't turning time. You cant get young again... can you become less known again? Stop it before its too damn late...

sf

who gives a shit if they get big, thats so stupid. ill be glad for them, maybe popular music will take a turn for the better if that happens, as long as a band doesnt conform to corporate ways strictly for monetary or popularity issues, then who gives a shit. opeth are sincere performers so none of that matters. i hope they get real big, for the sake of music in general.

Yeah, you only need to worry about it if it's the sort of band that would listen to some suit's "musical advice". I mean, you can tell they tried to turn away from BWP's accessability with Deliverance, and they only got more popular.

Edit: I listened to it.. yeah, it was a bad selection of stuff, mostly. Nice review, anyway, and not expected at all.

In order for bands to stay popular they need to feed the mainstream what it loves over and over again. Opeth changes almost every album, in ways that no one really sees coming. Someone will hear Damnation and like it, and buy the album Opeth releases after that and probably hate it.

Yeah, I was surprised that they didn't play any clean vocals. He just played the intro of WREATH for a long time, and right before it switched to that beautiful guitar harmony he switched it over to a heavy riff from the title track...it's like he was trying to attract extreme metal fans and make everyone else hate it. He didn't even MENTION clean vocals, oddly enough. Still, he obviously liked it, and the fact that it was in the new york times makes me happy. They just could have played something PRETTY, cause everything that got played was nasty brutal riffs and then a couple of really bland atonal acoustic parts.

It's right at the top under Arts now, which is still something.