opeth record sales?

I don't know the world wide stats for all the albums but on the swedish newspaper clipping with peter thread it say's that deliverance has sold about 150,000 worldwide.
I think

count up the number of members of this forum and you have the number of people who bought BWP. the number of orchid and morningrise albums sold are about one third of that number. mmmmm, i'd say 9. count up the number of members of the symphony x forum to determine the number of damnation albums sold. for the other albums, you'll just have to use a little less accurate method. i wont even venture to guess.

i dunno if deliverence sold 150,000 then i would think that damnation sold around that or more since its more "mainstream" than there other recordings. then id do about 3/4's of that for BWP. and then half that total for Still Life and then half that for MAYH, and then half that for Morningrise, and half that for Orchid. and as for the dvd, i know it wasnt asked but...id say 10,000....maybe

Actually I believe the numbers are a little higer.
Taken from Opeth.com : "Opeth's DVD, "Lamentations - Live at Shepards Bush empire" has reached Gold status in Canada!"
Gold status usually means 500 000 copies sold. I doubt it is the same with DVDs, but we can safely say that if it went gold here in Canada (about a 36 millions population), it should have sold at the very least 100 000 copies worldwide.

Gold DVD status in Canada is more like 5,000. 10,000 max. Seriously. Also, I saw some official stats once upon a time, somewhere on this forum, and it was nothing like 150,000. I would guess that Opeth has sold 150,000 albums worldwide....total; all their releases combined.

Blackwater Park only sold, oh, less than 10,000 or something in America. I might even have been 4,000.

....not that they don't deserve to sell more, by the way. Somebody put some scantron stuff up here back when Deliverance/Damnation had been out for about 5 months....and the numbers were just not that high. Still, you multiply 5 or 6 thousand by all the countries where people buy metal, and yeah, they might have sold 150,000 (all releases combined) worldwide.

I don't think so.
I don't need an Opeth Greatest Hits, 'cause we all have the discography.
BUT if someone who doesn't have any of those records and don't know what album they'd have to buy, I guess it would be pretty different.
But for me, nope dude.
\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

Jahn said:
What about a Opeth greatest hits albume?? hehe..

If an Opeth's Greatest Hits were to be made, you'd have to at least spread it over 2 albums due to the average length of an Opeth song.

Worldwide sales have got to be better than 150,000. Think in terms of concerts. When I saw Opeth there were several hundred people there. The vast majority were there for Opeth only, and it is very likely that they all owned multiple albums, judging by their reactions to a variety of the songs, and shouts for "In Mist" and such. A low end guess would be 2 albums times the number of people there. That's maybe 1500 cds. A higher guess would be 4 per person, or between 3-4000. That's only the people who went to the show. I would guess in Chicago (7.5 million people)alone Opeth has sold at least 10,000 albums. The local record stores/Best Buys/Borders all carry Opeth, and I frequently see the albums restocked. North American sales have to be well over 100,000. For the band so consider touring places like Chile, there have to be considerable record sales there. Add in Australia, Europe, and elsewhere, and there are probably between 300-400 thousand worldwide.

Minion520 said:
It doesn't help record sales any when half of the faggots on Ultimatemetal alone not to mention the rest of the world download all there music
What's wrong with downloading? If I hadn't downloaded Opeth's previous albums, I would have not bought them.

MasterOLightning said:
Worldwide sales have got to be better than 150,000. Think in terms of concerts. When I saw Opeth there were several hundred people there. The vast majority were there for Opeth only, and it is very likely that they all owned multiple albums, judging by their reactions to a variety of the songs, and shouts for "In Mist" and such. A low end guess would be 2 albums times the number of people there. That's maybe 1500 cds. A higher guess would be 4 per person, or between 3-4000. That's only the people who went to the show. I would guess in Chicago (7.5 million people)alone Opeth has sold at least 10,000 albums. The local record stores/Best Buys/Borders all carry Opeth, and I frequently see the albums restocked. North American sales have to be well over 100,000. For the band so consider touring places like Chile, there have to be considerable record sales there. Add in Australia, Europe, and elsewhere, and there are probably between 300-400 thousand worldwide.

i dunno if its THAT high, but yeah... at the place where i've seen them a few times, it was always packed, and the capacity is like 2,000 people or something... so if they have that many fans in the CT/RI/MA area, i don't see how it could be much less than 80,000 for the US alone...

of course, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter how many albums they've sold, seeing as the band gets almost no money from record sales themselves...