opeth record sales?

My understanding, and I am pretty much pulling this out of my ass, it that the first four albums sold total about 20,000 copies each. When BWP came along it was the big breakthrough, selling about 80,000 worldwide. I don't honestly know about D1/D2. What I do know is that Opeth are now amongst the biggest bands in underground metal, which is a bit of a shock to me, were you to tell me that 5 years ago. People who don't really know underground stuff are starting to have at least heard of Opeth. I see random teenage goth girls with Opeth stickers and such now. It's all very strange to me, I always pegged Opeth as the one band I could rest assured NOBODY I just randomly met would be into. No longer the case...

haha, funny you should mention that, because i once met this guy who hated opeth because "girls like them"

deliverance said:
that's pretty lame. he must be a "real m3tulhead"

i dunno, he was kind of a holier than thou dude anyway, esp. with regards to music.... you know, like the kind of guy who will stop listening to a band if they actually sell 10 records or something :rolleyes:

HoserHellspawn said:
My understanding, and I am pretty much pulling this out of my ass, it that the first four albums sold total about 20,000 copies each. When BWP came along it was the big breakthrough, selling about 80,000 worldwide. I don't honestly know about D1/D2. What I do know is that Opeth are now amongst the biggest bands in underground metal, which is a bit of a shock to me, were you to tell me that 5 years ago. People who don't really know underground stuff are starting to have at least heard of Opeth. I see random teenage goth girls with Opeth stickers and such now. It's all very strange to me, I always pegged Opeth as the one band I could rest assured NOBODY I just randomly met would be into. No longer the case...
I've heard the same numbers on blackwater park... based on that I tend to believe all opeth combined sales are somewhere in the 200-250 k range.. but who the hell knows the truth