Opeth song lenght

Terrifyer

Born to Murder the World
May 23, 2002
Mexico
Visit site
Do you think they, really feel like doing all their songs that long?

I think thats its just whats its expected from them, some songs could have been shorter and have the same effect

anyway thats my opinion....

I think it's more a habit than something that's forced. The songs may be longer than necessary but i dont think that's a concious decision by them. just songs don't feel complete to them without being long, they have to make a concious decision to make them short!

KielbasaSausage said:
they have said that they dont intentionally make songs like that anymore. it just becomes a long song because they have the ability to come up with many ideas for one song... unlike other bands.

To me, Opeth's song length is a major factor in my perception of how great they are.

How many times have you watched a movie, and hoped for it to go on? Opeth gives me songs that by the end of my listening, I am satisfied. My usual complaint with musicians these days is how they slap out an album that's 35-45 minutes in length, with songs that are unimaginative. When I listen to Opeth, I feel that the band is not in a hurry. I don't feel a sense of being rushed in their music. They take their time moving through progressions, and even though some may complain about "over done" song sections, I find it satisfying. The 2+ minute outro to Deliverance for example: it could of been done with 2 refrains, but they chose more repetition, which just gives me more time to enjoy it.

Truthfully, until Opeth came along, I seldom enjoyed the longer "epic" songs I've heard. So many long songs just seem to be a waste of air space. But Opeth pulls it off to near perfection. I don;'t think I've ever commented to myself that a particular song could of been shorter.

It's fun to see how each person perceives a band. There are so many varied opinions in what Opeth does to people, and how they break-down the components of Opeth. I generally don't spend time over-analyzing the music I listen to. I either like it or not, and not for any real musical reason - my ears do my work for me.

I like as many simply structured songs as I like complicated ones. I just find that overall, Opeth creates the most mesmerizing music I've ever heard for the first 43 years of my life, and once I start listening to them, I donm't want it to end. So I personally hail their ability to continually create epic length songs that 110% keep my interest.

I believe "commercial bands" have to be concerned about song length (a requirement, indeed) and therefore their musical creativity is hindered. On the other hand, Opeth is not a commercial band and therefore their musical creativity is fully expressed. They write tracks that can be as long as their creative minds take them.

If you'll notice, Blackwater Park has a variety of song lengths, and they all work. I couldn't imagine Harvest being 10 minutes and the title track 6. Know what I'm saying? The song are only long when they have to be. Orchid's songs are longer than those on MAYH because that's how they WORK. It's hard to explain...

This is part of the reason I love Opeth. They can make an epic song that I don't get bored with at all! This band completely amazes me the way they compose their music..there's a perfect amount of repetition, tempo changes, clean and rough vocals..

pure genius!

Opeth do have a tendency to repeat riffs perhaps more than some metal bands. Though it tends to be more obvious in their acoustic refrains Anyone who is a serious listener and fan would say at times they over do it. But then again the much criticised ending of "deliverance" is one my favourite pieces of metal.
So I would say repitition works at times. I mean it is unavoidable obviously otherwise you don't have any structure. I guess that is the art of songwriting. A mix between recurring themes and the new.

And I assume you are talking about strictly sequential repeats of riffs. An example is the acoustic refrain on Blackwater Park that seems to drag for me. Just one too many identical repeats of that quirky yet brilliant piece of music.

Opeth do have a tendency to repeat riffs perhaps more than some metal bands.

But then again the much criticised ending of "deliverance" is one my favourite pieces of metal.

>>that's totally correct...

I agree with those who stated that their song length makes them so great...I myself am known to write songs that are very long and ever-changing..i think its a part of their progressive style...I dont know if i would love Opeth as much as i do if their songs were generally shorter...i would still like them and their music but not as much...i love long songs...it gets me to thinking and it sounds like the artist is trying to convey a story within the music itself not the lyrics...

The Leper Affinity is among my favorite songs and the riffs change so much, there isn't much repetition. I think that's what makes it so special. It's the only one that doesn't get repetitve on BWP.

EDIT: Maybe Funeral Portrait.

I don't think I've ever commented to myself that a particular song could of been shorter.

I agree with you on the most part, but I do feel like alot of the songs on D1 were forced. Wreath is a really great song - you have to listen hard and be in the right mood to tell how good it is. I only feel like the last minute or so shouldn't have been there. And the last two minutes of AFJ... why?... just, why?

KennonKun said:
And the last two minutes of AFJ... why?... just, why?

Because it's a great part. And it's only a minute and a quarter or until it starts to fade. Man, you people would never make it through a song by Neurosis or any given doom band if that stuff bugs you.