Opeth Song Survivor - Round 5 - My Arms Your Hearse (Vote for the WORST song)

Which song do you like the least?

• April Ethereal

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • When

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • The Amen Corner

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Demon of the Fall

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Credence

Votes: 36 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In order of greatness, here are the real best moments of MAYH. Of course, it would gbe impossible to rank them, so here they are in random order.

April Ethereal - IT WAS ME! PEERING THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS!
April Ethereal - And she was SWATHED! in sorrow!
April Ethereal - The rain was waving goodbye...
April Ethereal - I don't know how, or WHY, and I'LL. NEVER. KNOW. WHEN!
When - And I cried :cry:
When - When can we scream instead of whisper?
The Amen Corner - Intro
THe Amen Corner - Outro
THe Amen Corner - THe celestial touch...
Demon of the Fall - Silent dance with death!
Demon of the Fall - If I really need to explain this to you...
Credence - Deserted again...
Credence - Credence in my word...
Credence - Outro
Karma - Err... nothing sticks out, but it's a good song =/
Epilogue - EVERYTHING. Every single godamn thing.

And there you have it.

Reactions: Kajue
These moments spring to mind as really being mind-blowing. Yes, there is this many. (forgive me if there's lyrical fuck-ups, I'm tired :erk: )

April Ethereal - Intro/First riff, with that triple drum beat every so often
April Ethereal - T'was a token of ebony colour...
April Ethereal - I will endure....
April Ethereal - The rain was waving goodbye
April Ethereal - I don't know how or why....
When - Red sun rising...
When - This day wept on my shoulders....
When - To find my way back home....
When - So there I was...
When - The gate was closed that day....
When - ...and I cried....
The Amen Corner - Intro
The Amen Corner - White summer...
The Amen Corner - The celestial touch....
The Amen Corner - ...And so I rose from my sleep....
The Amen Corner - the growl after 'eerie circles upon the waters'
The Amen Corner - Until now we have shared the same aura....to the end.
Demon of the Fall - Silent dance with death....
Demon of the Fall - where he growls before 'demon, demon of the fall'
Demon of the Fall - 'demon, demon of the fall'
Demon of the Fall - She rose, screaming at closed doors
Demon of the Fall - Run away, run away, run away, to the end
Credence - The verses, especially 'credence is my word, written in dust, tainted by memories
Karma - The 'ohhhhh' bit, hehe....
Karma - that bit at about 2,53....can't explain.
Karma - 4.47 - 5.00
Karma - That fucking outro riff!
Epilogue - Whole thing is beautiful

Reactions: Kajue
Guardian of Darkness said:
Listen to it a few more times....how can you not love that intro....or 'the celestial touch....from grey to black....' or ANY PART OF THAT FUCKING SONG?!

EXACTLY! The Amen is pure epic, stunning piece of metal music! The best part, and one of Opeth's finest acoustic moments is from when THE acoustic guitar plays and onward...you know, "It was the only task I could undertake. To reap the harvest that was mine. The seed that had sprung into a florid meadow, and left me helpless in your embrace....unwritten secrets...." This is ALL hands down the finest moment on the ENTIRE album IMO....it goes slightly downhill at, "And I rose from my sleep....", but damn...the song is just too goddamn brilliant!

Yeah, MAYH must have the FINEST lyrics from all of Opeth's albums I say.

The Amen Corner gets my vote. I agree that this song is epic. Just I've never connected as deeply with it as I always have the other four. My Arms Your Herse is not just a collection of songs, it really is an album and should be listened to as such. Anyone who says this choice is easy has never truly heard this album.

Crap, I knew Amen would get murdered, but its one of my favorites on the album. I voted for When...i know, i know; it's a great song (hell, every song on the album is great), but for some reason it just never clicked with me as much as the others.

Kaberonie said:
I love credence though..can't see why its losing

Neither can I...it seems that the soft songs always get voted off quickly on these polls, even if they are equal to or better than some of the heavy songs. Benighted was the first to go on the Still Life poll. BENIGHTED! :yell:

It's linear songs without the same dynamic that people tend to equate with Opeth that get voted off quick. The whole process of voting seems pointless to me except that whichever song loses I end up listening to for 72 hours straight and gain a new found appreciation for it.

if demon wins i will be severely bothered. while it is fantastic and surely lights it up in parts, it cannot compare to the absolute brilliance that is april ethereal and when. april ethereal being the most brilliant song of all.
my 3 favourite opeth songs april, godheads and bleak MUST win (hope!)

call me crazy, i'm the first to vote demon of the fall
i've listened to it just as much as the others or more, yet it doesnt hold as many special moments for me
i love several parts...

"false love turned to pure hate..."
growls before "demon. demon of the fall"
"demon. demon of the fall"
"just one second..."-->end

yea..but.. think of all the others..
come on..
"something she said... 'eerie circles upon the waters'"

!

Kajue said:
The Amen Corner gets my vote. I agree that this song is epic. Just I've never connected as deeply with it as I always have the other four. My Arms Your Herse is not just a collection of songs, it really is an album and should be listened to as such. Anyone who says this choice is easy has never truly heard this album.

Absolutely.

I love credence though..can't see why its losing

The same applies with this, each song is so utterly amazing, that you have to vote for a song you love. If you don't love the other 4 songs, you don't know the album well enough yet, and therefore can't make a comment. ;)

Amen Corner. It can't beat Demon, April, or When. That vote is going to be brutal. I never liked the intro to AC, and it didn't have as many great moments as the others. Like the solo on When right after "to find my way back home." Or the end chorus on When. Or all of Demon.

"Run away..." to the end of the song...Oh man. Pretty much the whole song. It never stops kicking your ass for one second. It's short by Opeth standards, I guess. But that doesn't take anything away from it. It's a perfect song.