Opeth Song Survivor - Round 7 - My Arms Your Hearse (Vote for the WORST song!)

Which song do you like the least?

• April Ethereal

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • When

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Demon of the Fall

Votes: 31 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Scourge of Malice said:
It seems to me that MAYH hasn't grown on most of the people here. Cause when it does, people realize how great of a song when is.

Yeah, I agree. Anyone who didn't find this poll HORRIBLY difficult obviously hasn't got into it properly yet. I could almost say that the 6 full length songs on MAYH are better than ANYTHING else Opeth have done. Almost.

Wouldn't rigging the votes defeat the whole purpose of having a poll in the first place? :lol:

I voted April Ethereal.. it was a fairly easy choice to me, especially seeing what it was pitted against. April Ethereal is definately the most overrated song on MAYH... there's just nothing there, and musically its pretty simple (especially the start).

To be honest, if I could have it, I'd have Madrigal win the whole competition... it's my favourite song on MAYH, haha.

I hope April Ethereal doesn't pop out this round though, because it would make my choice SOOOO much more difficult in deciding between When and THE DEMON... because they're both just freakin masterpieces.

God. I lvoe all of them, but When and Demon of the Fall are two of my favorites, so the worst of the three is April Ethereal.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Yeah, I agree. Anyone who didn't find this poll HORRIBLY difficult obviously hasn't got into it properly yet. I could almost say that the 6 full length songs on MAYH are better than ANYTHING else Opeth have done. Almost.

Almost? I think it's not that close. Credence and especially Karma aren't near the top of my list Opeth. Amen Corner is somewhere in the middle, but When, AE, and Demon are near the top. Also the most underrated song -- Epilogue -- is near the top for me as well. Possibly the best ending song on an Opeth album.

@Flood, if The Amen Corner isn't near the top of your list, you need to listen more. It's just as good as Demon of the Fall. And frankly I like each song for a different reason, so it's very hard for me to choose a favorite. For your convenience I've made a chart. :)

April Ethreal - The emotion. Simple or not (you need to stop looking at the complexity of guitars Moonlapse :D) the emotion and dreariness stays throughout the whole song.
When - It's expansiveness (is that a noun...? can you make an adjective a noun by adding "ness" to it?) When has gives me that feeling of a "full" song. It's got emotion (although not on the same level as April or Demon), it's got beautiful riffs, an amazing ending, and it's structured in a perfect way.
The Amen Corner - Best intro and outro in any Opeth song, ever. ANd it's hard to say that, considering how kickass all Opeth intros and outros are. Besides that, the middle part is pure Opeth brilliance. Nothing really special about it, just pure Opeth.
Demon of the Fall - The furious pace and emotion of this song always gets me pumped up. Something's happening all the time, and there are no breaks. Not even in the acoustic sections. How they did this I don't know. It makes me wonder if MAYH was really made by only one person...

ANd that takes care of the best Opeth songs off MAYH. Karma I like but I don't love. It's too hectic. ANd not Demon of the Fall hectic, just too unorganized. Although it's still a good song. Credence is the one of the best mellow Opeth songs, and I like how linear it is. It's not overly complex, and it's a great break before Karma.

So that does it.

Peace, you cracked up whores... voting for When...
Dan.

People just have short attention spans in these polls. For example, the Moor somehow won the SL poll. I put it sixth out of the seven songs. But it and GL were in the final, being the first two tracks. The first real track on an album has always stuck around (Advent, AE, Moor, leper affinity, windowpane) Of course Wreath is bad, but that's the exception. And if any of those songs deserved to be in the last vote, the Leper Affinity did. You people all suck because you vote out the best songs without fail, well almost without fail (Deliverance won). I'm just mad because Leper lost, and When's going to lose.

Err, so are you just saying we voted out the best songs? You probably could've reduced that post to about two or three sentences without losing anything.

Anyways that's your opinion. Frankly I think The Moor is by far the most superior song off Still Life. Also, Wreath is not bad. If you think it's bad listen to it again. There are no bad Opeth songs. If Wreath was released by any other band they'd be fucking worshipped.

Third, the first track always stuck around because Opeth have always made excellent first tracks. It's not due to our "short attention spans." It's also common sense to put your better songs near the beginning of the CD.

Fourth, yeah I'm mad too that Leper Affinity lost and so will When. =P

Epilogue is pretty damn epic to me. Its hard to believe thats even Opeth. Sounds like something out of the 70s. Opeth should make more music like Epilogue now that I actually think about it. Moonlapse is my fave. on Still Life and it didnt get nothing,lol. Leper losing was just bullshit across the boards. By the pain I see in others didn't get nothin. Damn the fans!

My fave on Orchid (Twilight) didn't even make the finals. Black Rose Immortal didn't make it to the finals either. Moonlapse or SPD didn't make it to the Still Life finals. In my Time of Need just got voted off, Blackwater Park couldn't make it to the semi-finals, and Master's Apprentices couldn't make the final cut either!!! Only MAYH has my fav song on the album (Demon) going to the finals. At least it looks like it right now.

@Illbeleavinnow, I've listened to Amen Corner a lot, I'm not saying that it's a bad song. There are just a bunch of Opeth songs that appeal to me more. I don't actually HAVE a list top to bottom but if I made one it would be in the middle.

MasterOLightning said:
People just have short attention spans in these polls. For example, the Moor somehow won the SL poll. I put it sixth out of the seven songs. But it and GL were in the final, being the first two tracks. The first real track on an album has always stuck around (Advent, AE, Moor, leper affinity, windowpane) Of course Wreath is bad, but that's the exception. And if any of those songs deserved to be in the last vote, the Leper Affinity did. You people all suck because you vote out the best songs without fail, well almost without fail (Deliverance won). I'm just mad because Leper lost, and When's going to lose.

In Mist won, that was fair enough.
Advent got to the final when it shouldn't have done.
April Ethereal is beating When. That is wrong.
The Moor won like it should've done.
The Leper Affinity didn't win, but it should've done.
Wreath didn't win, but it isn't bad.
Windowpane is not the best. At all.

illbeleavinnow said:
That's the same thing I said about When, and April Ethereal, and The Amen Corner, and all of MAYH. :) I said I would never ever "get it", and after a few months I finally did. Yeah, months.

And who do you have to thank for that? Eh? Eh?

Fruitcake.

I'm doing the Blackwater Park final now.