Opeth Still Life sessions diary...

SSJ2 Vegeta

Melonhead
Dec 17, 2005
Islip Terrace, NY
There was one day when me and Peter worked for almost 24 hrs, and we ended up getting so ****ing tired we hallucinated. It started with me hearing a cough while I was in the vocal booth. I looked out but saw no.one. I asked Peter: "Man, did you cough?", "No, why". I was terrified thinking that someone was there with us. Me and Peter went out probing the area after suspicuos things. And mind you, the new Fredman studio is pretty big with several different rooms, and if that is not enough, it´s located in an industrial area where no-one usually comes around in the middle of the night.

Anyways, we didn´t find anything, but the rest of that day we were certainly affected by everything as there was indeed some kind of spooky felling in the air. Sure enough it was just our tired brains that played us a trick. And the cough I mentioned had somehow been recorded on the tape. We still don´t know who it is, and it´s still there on the album in the 1st track.

Has anyone heard this cough? Where exactly is it in the song?

Also, I heard that you can hear Mikael breathing in The Night & Silent Water, or possibly Nectar (can't remember which song I heard it was on). Anyone else heard of this?

well, there are 2 coughs actually on the moor, and it seems there's one also in white cluster. try searching some old threads about it now that you can...

Yeah, I did a quick search. So far I've gotten that:

1. The Cough, some say, is at 10.08, but in truth it is just Mikael sighing on purpose.
2. There might have been an original cough somewhere in the beginning of the song on the original version, within 3.xx, but was removed on the reissue.

So, I guess I'm out of luck on hearing this Cough.

I've only heard the sigh at 10:08 on The Moor, I figured that's what they were talking about...if something creepy like that had happened to me, I totally would have kept it on there.

SSJ2 Vegeta said:
Also, I heard that you can hear Mikael breathing in The Night & Silent Water, or possibly Nectar (can't remember which song I heard it was on). Anyone else heard of this?

Yeah, I think I know what you're talking about. It happens in The Night and the Silent Water, you know that acoustic break at 2:50? Right as the drums come in a few seconds later, you can hear Mikael breathing in, sounds like he's sighing resentfully. I always liked that sigh, also because it fits in with the beautiful, melancholy vocals that follow it.