Opeth vs Esoteric

Interesting that you say that, Mumblefood. Opeth is a band that I haven't been able to enjoy beyond a casual listen to a song or two... I just cannot get into any of their albums enough to spin them anymore.

Could be that I'm still massively burnt out on the band by those years of constant listening, but I'd probably pull out Metamorphogenisis before Morningrise any day these days.

Disclaimer: I'm not bashing Opeth in this post.

Why compare bands like that?

I can listen to Opeth whenever and like it. Not so for Esoteric. However, Esoteric can affect me much stronger.

so answer is: don't care.
Why? Because, one band is better than the other and we must know which one it is. After we decide, it will be easier to discard the lesser band.

why compare apples and oranges? and even if someone thinks oranges are better, why would you "discard" apples or vice versa?

one could only expect such logic from sadguru

why compare apples and oranges? and even if someone thinks oranges are better, why would you "discard" apples or vice versa?

one could only expect such logic from sadguru
I do not compare apples with oranges. I compare music with music.

"Why compare apples with oranges" - ASU
"opeth you fucking idiots" - ASU

Thumbs way up for the coherency.

I do not compare apples with oranges. I compare music with music.

there are different genres of music, just as there are different categories of food. think fruits and vegetables, meat, etc.

"Why compare apples with oranges" - ASU
"opeth you fucking idiots" - ASU

Thumbs way up for the coherency.

just because i prefer one band to another, doesnt mean the initial argument has ANY point whatsover.

you CAN compare apples and oranges, but... who gives a shit? what does that say? what does that tell anyone? fuck off!

there are different genres of music, just as there are different categories of food. think fruits and vegetables, meat, etc.

They are different genres of music with largely the same instrumentation and I'd wager a couple of similar influences somewhere along the line. No matter how ignorant you or anyone else on this forum may be, people are going to want to compare bands and talk about the differences and what they like better or worse.

Man, it sounds awkward even writing out things that seem like such common sense.

So, why compare them? Why not? Why compare any two things beyond the reason that you might be interested in hearing the results.