Opeth-Watershed

Yup, it was also the first time Opeth started heavily relying on start/stop riffs which also kind of made the overall songwriting seem lazy. It didn't have the variation and the complexity of Deliverance and Blackwater Park.
While I agree with this assessment, for me, it's even more basic than this; the songs were weak.

(I leave Damnation out because it's an entirely different beast)
I had been looking forward to an all acoustic Opeth disc since their Still Life days. Unfortunately, I found Damnation a disappointment. Again, I just wasn't impressed with the songs. They certainly weren't on par with tracks like "Face of Melinda", "Benighted", "Credence", etc.

Zod

I have a feeling Steve Wilson of Porcupine, et. al., was probably involved as the rumors continue saying there is going to be a ultra-prog-metal-super collabaration between Portnoy, Akerfeldt, and Wilson someday.

Which would explain the '70s-era prog.

Wilson and Portnoy had nothing to do with writing this album. Akerfeldt writes all the music, and it's no secret that his big passion is 70's prog. It's always been there in the music (watch the DVD, he introduces "Ending Credits" as being a Camel ripoff)...I was just saying that it's really out in front on the new album in the use of keys.

Wilson and Portnoy had nothing to do with writing this album. Akerfeldt writes all the music, and it's no secret that his big passion is 70's prog. It's always been there in the music (watch the DVD, he introduces "Ending Credits" as being a Camel ripoff)...I was just saying that it's really out in front on the new album in the use of keys.

I know what I am watching tonight..... :headbang:

The mention of "'70's prog" sound has me even more interested in this.

Same here. Not that they haven't already had a lot of prog influence already (Camel, Comus, etc.), but I liked the addition of keys on Ghost Reveries, since it was done tastefully, and I'm really looking forward to Watershed.

^I've been listening to Opeth ever since Cashman played some for me on Ytseradio a billion years ago.

Wow, that kinda made my night! Glad to have (presumably) enriched your musical horizons back then! :)

I think I still rank Blackwater Park as my favorite Opeth CD overall -- it might have made its US club debut at PPUSA 1.0, as I played some of it over the PA :) -- but several CDs -- Ghost Reveries, Still Life, Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse are right behind it tied for #2. :kickass:

Morningrise was the first one I bought and I didn't like it at all. It was my first cd i bought with growling vocals that someone reccomended, and it just didn't do it for me, but I accidentally ended up with one of my friends cds one year at progpower, and it was Blackwater Park. I figured I best give them a better shot, and I was blown away, plus I was getting use to growling vocals by then, now I gotta have them. I think Still Life is my fav, and that is just with one song, The Moor, and then serenity painted death.

Yeah, it's not the best place to start with the band if you're not used to the growling style. There are so many layers to the sound that it's hard enough to wrap your head around what's going on let alone get used to the vocals. I highly suggest revisiting if you still have it. After an infinite amount of spins, I still discover new elements upon each and every listen. Just an extraordinary piece of art.

Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, etc. are far more accessible and immediate than the first two albums.

Jason

I always use Blackwater Park to introduce people to Opeth

Absolutely.

It goes something like this:

1. Friends who are open-minded, but don't care for growly vocals are present
  2. You put in Blackwater Park, track 3, "Harvest"
  3. Your friends express appreciation for the song, etc.
  4. CD rolls on into "The Drapery Falls"
  5. Your friends like the song, and its relatively soft opening
  6. Crunchy/growly part in the middle hits HARD
  7. Friends' eyes widen in shock...but after a fair judgement, they like it
  8. Mission accomplished!
:lol:

(And that was exactly the order I had the soundguy at JJ Kelleys play it, between bands at PPUSA 1.0.)

^:kickass: That is pretty much spot on. Or start off with Benighted or Face of Melinda. Introducing Opeth to non metal heads is not always the easiest thing to do. I have a hippie jam-band buddy that I recently converted into a huge Opeth fan. Believe me, that was NOT easy to do.:lol:
The key is starting off light and eventually working up to heavy.

Absolutely.

It goes something like this:

1. Friends who are open-minded, but don't care for growly vocals are present
  2. You put in Blackwater Park, track 3, "Harvest"
  3. Your friends express appreciation for the song, etc.
  4. CD rolls on into "The Drapery Falls"
  5. Your friends like the song, and its relatively soft opening
  6. Crunchy/growly part in the middle hits HARD
  7. Friends' eyes widen in shock...but after a fair judgement, they like it
  8. Mission accomplished!
:lol:

(And that was exactly the order I had the soundguy at JJ Kelleys play it, between bands at PPUSA 1.0.)

Hey hey hey..... a fair judgement is from Deliverance... :p