Opeth Windowpane cover

don Livio

Aug 12, 2011
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44862070/Windowpane.mp3
Guitar was a PRS Custom 24 (not mine, unfortunately) through a Mesa Mini Recto (mine, latest GAS purchase, fortunately). Only fx send to interface, then Torpedo PI poweramp sim and Ownhammer IRs put on the guit tracks - the guitarist was quite anxious to get his baby back, that's why I was a bit in a hurry. No edits either and everything bar the main riff was learned by me on the fly.
Bass was a Squier Jazz VM V with Onqel's sansamp vst on it. Again, no edits and I haven't really fingerpicked since I quit Flamenco guitar years ago.
Cut to the chase, playing might suck, but it was a lot of fun mixing something different than extreme metal.

Been meaning to do a vocal cover of this one for a while now. Guess that I can finally get off my lazy butt and actually do it, using this as the backing tracks. Thank you kindly.

Sounds great ! How did you like the Torpedo poweramp sim section ?

When i gave the PI-FREE plugin a try, i'd like the colour it added after ampsims (with their poweramp section on already).

I guess it can come handy for those who cannot use a poweramp (no loadbox to go with their amp head, or using a preamp or preamp sim) and have their favourite IRs.

tghRF
If you ever do so, please post the vocal cover here or pm me about it. Would be pretty cool to hear a non-instrumental version of this.
Djabthrash
Tbh, I'm a bit biased because I find it easier to get a good tone by mic'ing a cab up. That way I know if the magic happens in the room but not in the daw I f*ed up the mic positions. With IR's it's a lot harder for me, so this choice was due to time shortage rather than any ulterior motive. But I gotta admit IR+Poweramp sim blew IR by itself to smithereens, at least for prog rock.

Djabthrash
Tbh, I'm a bit biased because I find it easier to get a good tone by mic'ing a cab up. That way I know if the magic happens in the room but not in the daw I f*ed up the mic positions. With IR's it's a lot harder for me, so this choice was due to time shortage rather than any ulterior motive. But I gotta admit IR+Poweramp sim blew IR by itself to smithereens, at least for prog rock.

'ight !

I hope to try it out this weekend and if it is remotely decent, then I will message you and get the file to you so you can mix it with your existing tracks.