Opeth's distribution issues in US?

Sfarog

Trapped in hated logic
Feb 10, 2002
NYC
www.gwynbleidd.com
Hey,

I've visited Virgin here in NYC, and for a few weeks now there have been no opeth cd's nor the dvd available in the store... maybe its a "congrats on selling all cd's" but whats up with this distribution??

good luck.

BWP/Deliverance/Damnation/Lamentations (Music For Nations/Koch) are all distributed by KOCH in the US.

Still Life (Peaceville) is distributed by NAVARRE in the US.

The others are on Candlelight and distributed by CAROLINE.

All three of those distributors are what we call in the biz Major Indies, they have pretty decent representation. If you think about it, ask someone at the store who does the Pop/Rock or Metal buying. I think there's been an explosion in Opeth's popularity in the past 3 years and they're selling more records without catching the attention of retail buyers.

You can always get their stuff online.

Most big retailers like Circut and Best Buy don't carry any of the older stuff. You have to remember that there is not a huge demand for old albums anymore because of MTV. The emphasis is put hugely on the new upcoming crap that producers shoot out every 10 mintues just because it will sell well for a few months. Old albums, by old I mean anything over 5 years old, will be found in your local record store. It sucks because I work at a Best Buy and we only carry two or sometimes three Overkill and Testament albums, which I already own, but we don't get any other ones and I wouldn't get my discount buying cds else where.

IcedMadness said:
Most big retailers like Circut and Best Buy don't carry any of the older stuff.

Yeah, I have noticed this myself..The shop I mentioned earlier (Media Play) tends have a pretty damn good Opeth selection, at least in my area. I have seen the entire catalog there before, although not all at one time.

Shame they dropped the ball on the DVD; I have a big coupon and could get that thing for like a dollar! :Smug:

IcedMadness said:
It sucks because I work at a Best Buy and we only carry two or sometimes three Overkill and Testament albums, which I already own, but we don't get any other ones and I wouldn't get my discount buying cds else where.

TESTAMENT! \m/

Had to do it... :loco:

The big HMV (biggest record selling company around Toronto), downtown, has a pretty great selection of metal. I've seen every Opeth album there at some point, and the tins, and the DVD was there in a nice display on the day of release. It looked like it was selling well. I was proud :)

i work at Best Buy too, and i just found MAYH in there the other day! I snatched up my copy for a mere $9 !!!! I was totally surprised...we actually have Damnation, Deliverance and BWP also....i think we're gonna carry the DVD in a bit

A good place to find Opeth cd's and other metal cd's is circuitcity.com. Reasonable prices and free shipping! The only Opeth they don't have is Still Life, which is too bad because that one is so great. Another good place but is hit or miss because they don't keep large inventory, theendrecords.com :kickass: