Opeth's Vinyl Releases!

Board

A role model to mankind:
Jun 13, 2001
Støvring, Denmark
Visit site
Is it just me who thinks that the vinyl relases of Opeth's "Orchid", "Morningrise" and "My arms your hears" are crappy?
The vinyl are of low quality, so when you have played it 5-10 times, it sounds like it's been played 20 times.
I think this is only on MAYH, but I could be wrong, but when side 1 ends, you can hear the start of side 2 and the same thing on side 2 & 3.
The bonus tracks are also on the cd's (as far as I know) and they're all crappy low-fi primitive death metal that probably has no interest to any person who likes the music Opeth plays now. The only decent bonus track is their cover of Iron Maiden's "Remember tomorrow", but falls short of Maiden's original version.
And then, probably the worst part, the covers are crappy! Just the front cover and the back cover, two white innersleeves and NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!! :( :(
No mention of band members, no pictures, no lyrics, not even the year the were originally released - NOTHING!!!:mad:
I buy vinyl because I think the sound quality is superior, but I can't feel other than ripped of when I pay for shitty stuff like this. :eek:
I saw someone saying something like "This is the first time the records will be released on vinyl and I've heard we can expect a little extra". Well, where's the extra? In Displeased pockets, I guess.
I paid 135 Kroner for a nice Music for Nations edition of "Blackwater park" with a nice gatefold cover. The three Displeased versions costs 149 Kroner each.
It's the same thing with the Zyklon album; Front cover, back cover, white innersleeve, nothing more.
Maybe the reason they call themselves Displeased is because they want us to be displeased? :confused: :confused: :confused:

yeah! some weeks ago we discussed on how those reprints on vinyl are bad, really bad... because they offer nothing to the fans!!!!

in some days, peaceville will release the still life vinyl, but i think in this case things will be really OK!

Maybe I should check that discussion out (if I can find it), to see what you guys said.
I expect the "Still life" to be better to. I've heard it should be a gatefold cover too!

Hello!

Yes, you're damn right those 3 don't live up to the expectations. When Candlelight first mentioned to us that they were doing vinyl versions of the first 3 we were really happy to participate and make em really classy, but no, they more or less went behind our backs with these as well as they did with the reissued Cd's.
Being a collector and avid lover of vinyl records this was a disgrace for me and the band. I'm very sorry about the low quality of these, but we we're simply screwed over by Candlelight.

BWP is exactly what we wanted our vinyls to look like and I cross my fingers for "Still life" too, however, I kinda trust Peaceville to do a great job here.
And yes, the bonus tracks were not meant to be on the vinyls at all...I have no idea in hell why they did that...

I had pretty nasty fights with both Candlelight and Displeased about these, but they were already printed so there was nothing we could do.
Mike

Originally posted by Mikael Åkerfeldt
Yes, you're damn right those 3 don't live up to the expectations. When Candlelight first mentioned to us that they were doing vinyl versions of the first 3 we were really happy to participate and make em really classy, but no, they more or less went behind our backs with these as well as they did with the reissued Cd's

I take it this is after Lee's departure? :err:

WHAT?! No, don't say this!
suru.gif

I bought the Orchid vinyl a few weeks ago. I'm getting a new turntable in about 2 weeks. I was looking forward to hearing how much better it might have sounded in vinyl.