Opeth's Road gear

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

If they could afford, I hope they could acquire some amps like Triamp, Soldano, ENGL or some boogies, coupled with a G-System & bring it on tour.

Haha! Laney's are cheap man's Marshall i would say.

I think the band ought to invest in good amps, since Mikeal uses Modern Eagle & other PRSs.

To be honest, I think the guys could afford pretty much any amp they want, certainly via endorsment deals. The reasons that Mike uses Laney, and I asked him this in London, are fairly simple:

He uses the Boss GT6 or 8 for all live sounds and is happy with the Laney's power amp section.
Secondly, Laney were very helpful to Opeth in the early days with providing amps, so there is some loyalty there.

I don't really see how an amp can be "good" or "bad"..it's a matter of personal preference. I've owned Mesa's, Marshalls, Fenders, Vox, Soldano and VHT...my favourite is an old 1972 Marshall Mark II..many people might think it's a piece of shit compared to a more modern amp, but, the sound works for me..

To be honest, I think the guys could afford pretty much any amp they want, certainly via endorsment deals. The reasons that Mike uses Laney, and I asked him this in London, are fairly simple:

He uses the Boss GT6 or 8 for all live sounds and is happy with the Laney's power amp section.
Secondly, Laney were very helpful to Opeth in the early days with providing amps, so there is some loyalty there.

I don't really see how an amp can be "good" or "bad"..it's a matter of personal preference. I've owned Mesa's, Marshalls, Fenders, Vox, Soldano and VHT...my favourite is an old 1972 Marshall Mark II..many people might think it's a piece of shit compared to a more modern amp, but, the sound works for me..

Yeah. And endorsing PRS in a way compensates the lack of a massive pedalboard, twenty rack processors and a wall of Marshalls.

^^^^
Lol!!!...indeed. Usually, the twenty rack processors are being used to replicate the sound of a good Marshall!...so just use a good Marshall!!...reminds me of the story where Kirk Hammett said he spent huge amounts of money trying to replicate Gary Moore's lead sound for Metallica's "Black" album...when Gary Moore heard this, he just said "well, he could have saved a lot of money if he just bought a good Les Paul and a Marshall!"....I must admit, I tried a GT-6 through a Mesa power amp and found the distortion too "synthetic" for my tastes...but Mike certainly makes them sound good..

Laney are great amps, I use a GH100L head (same as mike) and it sounds fantastic with my new GT-10. It certainly is a matter of personal preference though. But I think Opeth sound fine with what they use.

haha! some of you guys have a point too.. For me, i just feel that they can improve their tone more.... Not to say Laney & GT8 sucks.

Laneys are in no way bad amps, but it just goes to show you don't need a ridiculously expensive/complex rig to sound great. It's all about the player...

That's true, but when you've as famous as Opeth are today, I'd at least make the most of it, sign endorsement deals with cyber expensive amp builders and etc.

Well, since at least Mike uses still a GT 6 or 8, does anyone have a clue which settings he uses? I really like the Guitar Sounds Opeth produce live and own a GT8 myself. So any hints or advice is appreciated.

BTW: I read somewhere that they tried tons of different Amps during the Recordings of Watershed. Not sure though if they didn't like them or for which reason they still use their "old" Stuff on Tour.