Opinion on the last Dimmu Borgir opus!

Sengir*Buendia

Baron of Macondo
:hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:
DAMN AND HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!
Death Cult Armageddon is the most ferocious piece of music I've heard in a long time. It makes the heaviest Opeth moments i.e. 'Wreath', 'Demon of the Fall', 'Funeral Portrait' sound like children's lullabies. Technical skills meet brutality meets epic grandeur. Shagrath's vocals are unique among brutal metal singers, as they range from Canibal Corpsish grunting to Dani Filthish screeching, Immortalish vomiting and so on (this last is his specialty). The orchestral parts are gorgeous and never cheesy or out of place. The songs in norwegian, specially Vredesbyrd, add an atmosphere of old-school bm, with soaring keys. The album is VERY similar to its predecessor, now whether this is good or not is apt to you. Who loved PEM shall love DCA. It's AMAZING AND, LET IT BE SAID, HEAVY AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :OMG: :OMG:

Tracklist:
01. Allegiance
02. Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse
03. Lepers Among Us
04. Vredesbyrd
05. For The World To Dictate Our Death
06. Blood Hunger Doctrine
07. Allehelgens Død I Helveds Rike
08. Cataclysm Children
09. Eradication Instincts Defined
10. Unorthodox Manifesto
11. Heavenly Perverse

NP: Allegiance

First impression...this does actually sound pretty heavy, the production sounds claustraphobic in a way. Its like the symphonic stuff is slightly toned down and the pummeling up a bit. Some cool riffs.

Sounds decent. :)

...thats an extreme first impression though. Haha, halfway through first listen.

Hamtaro said:
Mr. Holland had a better opus

Bloom County had a much better Opus yet.

opus.gif

Morfiend said:
It's good, but not great. I like Enthrone and PEM better.

Yeah. I've noticed Dimmu has slowly started putting more and more filler on each album they release....and each album starts sounding more similar and less developed from the one that came before. DCA is no exception. It sounds pretty lame to me.

Dimmu fans might also be interested in Graveworm and Ninnghizzhidda, or Old Man's Child for a more derivative sound. Susperia have a similar but more thrashy sound. (their old drummer's current band) Dragonlord are thrashy variation too.
Don't let Dimmu Borgir be your entire symphonic black world, because they certainly aren't the only band playing the damn stuff.