Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon

Static

Manically depressed robot
May 5, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
It has been a long time since I've had so much fun listening to an album. Now, many people get extremely stuffy nosed about this group, and I can see why. The cliche image maybe? The groups more carnivalesque aspects? However, I am more concerned with the music itself, and Death Cult Armaggedon is an energetic, invigorating, and just plain enjoyable album, moreso even than Dimmu's previous efforts.

The addition of a fully-fledged orchestra to the proceedings has served to add a grand, epic slant on their brand of heavy, atmospheric black metal. The more symphonic moments of this album are grandiose, and the backing orchestra has been applied to great effect. Dimmu has not gone overboard in it's use of the orchestra, the strings usually float just behind the band, never dominating too much, and sometimes disappearing so the guitars and drums can rock out for a while. Also present are soft synth choirs, tastefully played keys and piano, sound effects and amusing samples.

If there is one thing that can be said of this album it's that the riffage is particularly inspired this time round...the album is damned catchy. The first track, Allegiance, opens with strange mechanical noises and a haunting riff, before the band slams into action with great riffage and pummeling drums. Soon the orchestra soars over the top of the song and perfectly accentuates the bands playing. The second track, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, is certainly the most symphonic on the album, with the orchestra dominating the whole song majestically and an amazing piano midsection, as well as one of the only appearances of Simen/aka Vortex on vocals in an amazing clean part.

If there is one complaint I have of this album, it is that Simen is completely underused, the band opting instead for Shagrath's raspy ranting 99% of the time. This is enough for me to bring my mark of this album down a notch, I want to hear more of Simen!

Lepers Among Us is not one of the standouts, but it is still pretty good. It has nice riffs and a great forward drive, as well as nicely complimenting orchestration. An amusing midsection in which a voice announces 'Satan was there, Satan was real to me, and Satan called himself god' provides some fun. Vredesbyrd is probably my favourite track. This song kicksass. Shagrath's growling seems so much cooler when it is in Nowegian (correct me if I'm wrong), and the heavy riffs and deathy chug of the song is infectious, awesome.

To cut this review a bit shorter. Other standouts include:
Blood Hunger Doctrine - The slowest and most atmospheric track in which violins soar and soft effects converge to produce an instensely effecting song.
Allehelgens Dod I Hellveds Rik - Whoa, this song fucking rules! Incredible heavy riffs introduce the song and give way to amazing orchestration and a soaring clean vocal section by Simen. How can you hate Dimmu when they make music like this?
Cataclysm Children - This song starts off kind of average, with some cool riffs and growling, but when it hits its stride at 2:49 it becomes PHENOMENAL. An extremely catchy riff hits you in the face and an incredible melodic solo comes in that just makes me go WHOA. One of the best climaxes to a song...ever.
Eradication Instincts Defined - The second most orchestrated track, which has a great orchestral introduction. When the distortion hits the great orchestral accompaniment keeps up throughout and makes this one a standout. It also has a short electronic bit, that is very nice.

I found the other tracks, For the World to Dictate our Death, Unorthodox Manifesto and Heavenly Peverse (featuring Abbath from Immortal), to be less interesting than the others. They are not bad tracks, just not anything to write home about.

I can say with a clear conscience that I am completely enthralled with this release. I've heard all the arguments, 'dimmu borgir are fags', 'dimmu are boring and unoriginal', 'dimmu suck'...whatever, it's all bullshit. This music is far to vibrant and energetic too be considered boring, and far too orchestrated and epic to be considering unoriginal in my eyes. I've never heard a metal band hit the whole 'symphonic' nail so firmly on the head as Dimmu Borgir have here. The huge orchestra is implemented flawlessly, and there is many truly inspired sounding songs and riffs all over this album. Some may not be able to take Shagrath's 'incompetant ranting', or whatever you want to call it, but his vocals come off to me as perfectly on the mark. This is so far my favourite album of the year, and if you want to lie yourself into thinking it isn't good, your loss. This album is awesome.

9/10.

Reactions: futile
Good Review...

I agree with you, they could have used more Vortex Clean vocals.....

Im sure this album will reach my top ten at the end of the year

Your review is accurate, but to me DCA simply isn't that good. Its still a very slight progression from Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, despite it being decorated with yet more synths and samples. True, they are improving with each release, but by limiting themselves to the style that they play, maybe Dimmu have gone as far as they can - achieving perfection with their music. I would love to see them continue to release enjoyable music, but how satisfying can it be for them to be continually reusing ideas for each album?

Great review. I think Dimmu have hit their stride. Two phenominal albums in a row and I'm sure there's more to come. It's obvious that Galder had more of a chance to write on this one as there are so many cool thrashy riffs dotted throughout this album. I really am not a fan of Simen's vocals but they are used perfectly on the two songs we see him on.

I personally don't care what the Dimmu critics say about the band. I think they are excellent and have perfected the style. Should they use more of the same ideas on the next one, I'll be just as content because it will be a sure sign of quality. Now if only the metal box set would get here...

hibernal_dream said:
Your review is accurate, but to me DCA simply isn't that good. Its still a very slight progression from Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, despite it being decorated with yet more synths and samples. True, they are improving with each release, but by limiting themselves to the style that they play, maybe Dimmu have gone as far as they can - achieving perfection with their music. I would love to see them continue to release enjoyable music, but how satisfying can it be for them to be continually reusing ideas for each album?
'yet more synths and samples'

I might be able to give you samples, but synths? All of the orchestra synths are gone and replaced by the REAL THING, so no, you are wrong there.

Perhaps their music style is limiting, I could give you that too...but in my opinion they have hit the pinaccle of this style, and this in itself makes for powerful music. They are reusing old ideas but are still able to make it fresh sounding, epic and exciting...I don't see how music as strong as this could be written off for being 'unoriginal' or what have you. It has enough heft to lay such complaints to the wayside, imo.

I am also wondering though...where to from here? They probably do need to expand their sound now, as I don't see how another album in the same vein could quite top this one.

I agree with hibernal_dream and Static on the issue of progression. Certainly they have found a sound they like and have perfected it. There's really nothing wrong with that, but it can get boring at some point for fans. Also, if every album sounds the same there is no reason for the casual fan to buy them all. There is no doubt a huge difference from their 1st 2 CD's to the last 4. There is also no doubt this is an excellent CD and I love it. On the other hand they will need to come up with something different next time or it might start getting really tired.

Check out the late 90's Abyssos stuff.

Good review man. I heard the first leak of the album, which was a tape cassette rip of the album and there was toooo much bass and kind of ruined the sound. I refused to hear this again until I actually purcahsed the cd and I found it to be very very good. The sound is great and the orchestra adds a great touch to the songs. I give it an 8/10 since there are some boring songs but nothing to skip over.

I am awaiting the DVD version of the album to be released, which features 3 bonus tracks (Bathory cover and two Orchestra mixes), and will review those bonus tracks once I hear them, even share them if anyone wants them for their car player :D. But yeah, this album is good and its weird seeing their new "image" which is a mix from the "Tor All Tid" era and "Puritanical" era. Once again, the album rocks, its not a downer or a "STanger" type album. Its pretty honest and straight forward.

Yes yes, good review indeed. I was starting to enjoy DCA quite a bit, but I went and ruined it by listening to Enthrone.. and Puritanical.., both of which respectively have much better synth/orchestral compositions, and more depthful song structures, not to mention better guitar riffery.

I rate DCA 9.5/10 , just because the lack of Simen's clean vocals

Well I got the Japanese version of "DCA" and it ahd the two "Ochestra Mixes" of "Eradication Instincts Defined" and "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse" and i must say this, If Dimmu Borgir ever releases a "score" to their album featuring only Ochestral mixes they will be held as one of the innovators of black metal. Those mixes are good enough to be in a goddamn movie! I do think that the "score" to "Eradication Instinct" is a bit long but then again.. that's how it was made and it does have a great interlude portion in the middle.

So overall, If you can get your hands on the Japanese version of the album, get it for those two tracks!!! They are gold!!! If you want some samples I'll post some links so you can hear them.

Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse is amazing!

CoF need to learn how to use an orchestra right...

No wonder Dimmu beat them out for the Grammy...