Opinions needed EMG 85 or 60?

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So her is my deal. I am looking for a new set up pups for my Les Paul. I have been a passive guy for 20+ years and the more listen to some of the tones here the more I think I need to move to EMGs.

The 81 is def going in the bridge, but I am wondering what do you guys prefer in the neck. I want something beefy and high output but I still want it to get nice and warm.

Opinions?

I have the 85 on neck 81 on bridge setup, I'd say 85 has a more jazzy sound and its great for cleans. However I find the 81 better for rythm with heavy sounds, but thats probably because of my presets.

The 89 would seem like a cool option too. On the guitar I'm building, I'll have a 81/89 setup, 89 being the neck pickup.

Depends of the guitar you're putting it it. It won't sound the same in alder, in koa or in mahogany.

Its an ibanez with Maple neck, basswood body, rosewood fretboard. I find the sound of it to be a tad dirty and not so crystal clear. Maybe I should lower them a bit :)

If 'warm' is what you want then you don't want the 60 :lol: It's cold blooded with a really raspy single-coil-like ice-pick attack, which is why i fuckin love it! Got a 60-7 in the neck of my 7 string, and I fuckin loves it. Compliments the 81-7 perfectly and i love the tone of it.

Here's a clip (clean then lead)

right, my opinion on the 89, the 85 and 60 (i have all three in different guitars)

60 - truely awesome sounding pup for clean tones, it has soo much character i think, has the warmth, but that nice clarity and presence you want for clean tones, but with no single coil type openness

85 - well ive used this for years in my ancient ltd m100, i think it sounds great, its not bad on cleans, but i find it to be too warm, im actually tempted at putting an 81 in the neck

89 - im still getting used to it, its like the 85, but not, i sold my 81TW for the same reason (that its an 81 but coil tapped but the tones are totally different)

in short, i really ned to try an 81 in the neck position, but my current fav is the 85 in neck for leads, but the 60 for tone in the clean dept

Well with all the differing opinions I think I figured out HOW to figure this out ....lol

If any of you have an all Mahogany guitar would it be possible to post a DI of each pup playing some lead stuff? I can re-amp through my 5150 and get a feel for it.

If not then I guess its the old purchase and return game all over again .....lol

WTF? The 60 isn't nearly as bassy as the 85...

Pfftt!! My leads need to be fat. 81 is not fat enough :lol

Exactly my opinion.

I LOVE the 85 in a Les Paul neck for ultra-fat and creamy leads and dynamic blues heaven.

The 60, which I have at the neck of my Root Teles (mahogany), has a very distinct and unique tonality. I prefer the 85 for leads and blues but the 60 shines for clean passages a la the intro to Metallica's "One". Which is IMO on of the best examples to showcase the unique clean tone of the 60.