Opinions on my recorded tone (MP3's INSIDE)

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
I finally got around to trying to record at home, so I'm trying to get some usable tones to record with. I did some clips for you guys to critique, so let me know what you think.

These clips were recorded with my Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ Head Unit. They were recorded with an EMG-81 equipped Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I was playing with the Mark IIC+ Head through a Marshall 1960BV 4X12 Cab. I put a single Shure SM-57 mic on the cab and ran it directly into my computer that has a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card. No mixers, no fluff, etc. The first clip (SBT2) is comepletely dry so you hear the tone in it's purest form. The second clip (SBT3) is mixed a little lower and has a little reverb to smooth it out a bit. These clips should download fast from my server, and they're only about 35-45 seconds long each. Both clips are here:

http://silverwulf.org

The drums aren't really programmed drums, just a simple "click track" to keep time to. Let me know what you guys think of it, and any comments on the tone and suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

hey get rid of the verb! Shouldn't be needed on rhythms. Hard to give an oppinion cause i only have my lap to rigged up for internet, but sounds like you're in the right area.

Andy Sneap said:
hey get rid of the verb! Shouldn't be needed on rhythms. Hard to give an oppinion cause i only have my lap to rigged up for internet, but sounds like you're in the right area.
Thanks for the input. The first clip (SBT2) had no reverb on it. That's the way I like it. The second clip (SBT3) has some reverb, though.

If you ever get a chance to listen good, you'll have to let me know what you think. For a $89 sound card and a Shure SM-57, I think I'm getting close to what I want so far.