guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
Ok so in the studio currently I have the:

Krank Rev Jr
Peavey 5150
Bugera 333xl

I am looking for something different. I have been gassing hard on a Recto for about a year now, but I do have access to one whenever I need one so that will satiate me for the time being.

The being said I am looking for a head that sounds different from whats listed above. EL34 vs 6L6 makes no difference to me, I just need something affordable. I went the Jet City route and sold it, I also have had the Blackstar HT-5 and didn't like it.

What other small low wattage tube amps have you tried and how do you feel about them. Clips of said amps are appreciated.

Oh budget is around $600 - $700 american.

Thanks

Don't know how much they are across the pond but the Orange Thunder 30 is all kinds of nice imo. I had the Tiny Terror and couldn't stand the lack of eq (I got some good results out of it with post eq though) whereas the TH30 has a shape control on the gain channel, and with a ecc82 in the clean channel instead of the stock 83 the clean sound is gorgeous.

Maybe you could grab the new Engl Gigmaster?
Peavey Windsor is a good shout, but benefits from getting the volume up, so might not suit you.

I considered the JCM but I live in an apartment and cant really "crank" it up. I am a fan of "wide open" Marshalls, and the JCM at low volume just sounds stifled to me.

Maybe check out the JMP-1 preamp; you can run it into the power amp of one of your other amps or go direct with it; its distortions sound great (but the cleans are pretty terrible).

I, personally, would not go the preamp route...
The only preamp I like is the PSA, but just for scratch guitar tracks. Especially for the Bass grid this thing is the shit.

I love using heads, for me a preamp is always a compromise, if 2-3 poweramps are available the decision would be harder;)

If you're a little limited, money wise, I would buy a nice used head. They are so cheap in the US.

I, personally, would not go the preamp route...
The only preamp I like is the PSA, but just for scratch guitar tracks. Especially for the Bass grid this thing is the shit.

I love using heads, for me a preamp is always a compromise, if 2-3 poweramps are available the decision would be harder;)

If you're a little limited, money wise, I would buy a nice used head. They are so cheap in the US.

How is a preamp a compromise? A head is just a preamp and a poweramp in one box. A good preamp (Marshall, Mesa, ADA, VHT, ENGL, whatever) can cover a TON of mileage when paired with a nice poweramp.

To each his own!

Of course,
but if you own a preamp and can only use one single poweramp(from the 5150) for it, it MAYBE sucks(in the daily routine).
If you own for example a 2:90, case would be different, for me!

Imo, as i wrote above.

Actually all of my amps have FX Loops so Multiple power sections are available :)
+1
As a preamp fan I've never felt limited by sound choice. Although I prefer standalone poweramps I never shy away from pluging a preamp into a head if that's possible and the situation calls for it.