Orange Cabinets

AllanD

boom tap boom-boom tap
Jul 2, 2008
Houston
Hey guys, currently cab-less and looking for a new one. Can't find any Mesa's nearby, but some guy is selling a 4x12 Orange in my city for dirt cheap. Does anyone have info/clips of one? I've used the google search, but I couldn't find any clips. All I've read is that they're "dark", which is fine because I have a fizz problem anyways.

I don't find the PPC412 to be dark at all. Very tight clear cabinet. That being said, if I had to choose, I think I'd get a Mesa Rectifier 4x12, or at least get one of those first.

My ppc 212 was very dark, indeed.

Personally, I'm happier with my Mesa as main box(just for recordings) she's more versatile, imo...
Would love to own a PPC412 as option, though.

Oranges cabs are definitely dark... very muffled sounding compared to other v30 cabs... kinda boxy/honky mids too... I just don't like the way the mic up at all. I like my recto 4x12 way better than the orange 4x12 I used to have...

Listen to Swallow the Sun's "Hope" (the song itself) that's a pretty good indicator of the sound IMO; it sounds good, but still way too much mids for my liking (though at least they're more around 1k and less around 400 like my old nemesis, the Mesa Stiletto)

In closing, for anything modern-sounding, Recto cab FTW

I just got rid of your "old nemesis" :lol:

I'll check that band out when I get home, any more references/clips would be great guys.

I find my Orange 4x12 both brighter (V30 mid spike sits higher) and less deep (the 'thump' comes in at a higher frequency) than my Recto 4x12. It works better with some amps than others. With my Mesa's it's generally less clear, with a harsher pick attack and more mud than the Recto 4x12. With my Orange's it was thick and punchy.

Tried it with a 6505, Recto, Fireball 100 and some other amps, and it was everytime very dark, thats her character.

Only time it has satisfied me was for Indie tones with singlecoils, the dullness made sense in this context.

Me and buddy tried out a orange 412 with different amps compared to a mesa OS.
In the room (30qm) the orange sounded better with his single rectifier, but with all the other heads the mesa sounded better (5150,6505, jcm 800, ....)
under the mic the mesa sounded always better.

But here in germany the mesa os costs more then 600€ compared to the orange 412.....

I went with the mesa...

Oranges cabs are definitely dark... very muffled sounding compared to other v30 cabs... kinda boxy/honky mids too... I just don't like the way the mic up at all. I like my recto 4x12 way better than the orange 4x12 I used to have...

Definitely agree with the honky mids, I'm changing mine for a 1960AX