Thoughts on new guitar cabinet?

antiheroinc

Feb 23, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I've been looking into maybe purchasing a new guitar cab and am just wondering on what you guys might think. I'm currently running a Peavey Triple X head with a few basic rack gear and was looking for something that will make my sound a bit better.

Currently looking at either,
Mesa Boogie Recto 4x12, Orange High Powered 4x12 or possibly MI Audio Megalith Beta 4x12

Any others I should consider?
Cheers.

Are you looking for better sound in the studio or on stage?

Mesa if in the studio, Krank 4x12 if you're on stage.

The Megalith cab is nice, but only really pairs well with the Megalith itself. Worth plugging your gear into one to give it a test anyway. The orange is rubbish. Mesa goes without saying.

Ideally i'd love it to be both able for studio and stage, but it would spend most of its time on stage.
I've only really read up about the Megaliths, haven't heard one just yet, but it was enough to keep me interested.

On a slightly different note.. Why is Mesa Recto THE king of all cabs? Surely there must be some other cabs that also are fucking awesome in the studio and on-par with the Mesa :confused:

I almost bought a Mesa Recto cab but decided to try it first and when I did it was clear that it wasn't for me. It sounds extremely dark. Probably the best SOUNDING cabs out there are the Marshall 4x12 1960BV and the Orange 4x12 V30 cab.

I almost bought a Mesa Recto cab but decided to try it first and when I did it was clear that it wasn't for me. It sounds extremely dark. Probably the best SOUNDING cabs out there are the Marshall 4x12 1960BV and the Orange 4x12 V30 cab.

Ironically, I rarely use my Orange 4x12 because it's too bright and harsh. I much prefer my Recto 4x12 because it's a little darker/smoother and has that tailored midrange it's known for.

Yeah, I didn't find the Recto cab to be exceedingly dark, just chunky and evil :heh: (but still with plenty of cut, they are still V30s after all, even if they've supposedly had the special Mesa pixie dust sprinkled on them)