ORANGE PPC4X12 Speaker Cabinet : First impression = buyers remorse

From what you're saying I'm honestly wondering if you're running too much lows in your rig anyway? the Orange has plenty of low end, and if you're struggling to get enough from it then you've probably got a tone that doesn't exactly leave much room for a bass guitar.

Exactly what I was thinking. Shouldn't need to have any boost in the loop to get good low end from that cab.

Orange cabs are alright theres way to much hype behind them the tones dark and flat i also find theres a bit of a scoop in the bass frequencies and its not that open but not in a tight way in a stale way compared to my recto cab tried it out with like 4-5 diffrent amps side by side

Recto Engl powerball mark IV and a laney and randall cant remember what model but a high end randall

Orange cabs are alright theres way to much hype behind them the tones dark and flat i also find theres a bit of a scoop in the bass frequencies and its not that open but not in a tight way in a stale way compared to my recto cab tried it out with like 4-5 diffrent amps side by side

Recto Engl powerball mark IV and a laney and randall cant remember what model but a high end randall

Punctuation.
Use it.

I'll probably get some shit for this...but...

In my experience, if the cabinet sounds good to you while standing in front of it, it's going to sound like complete ass when you record it.

I've NEVER had a sound I 'liked' when standing in front of the cab translate into a recorded tone I was pleased with.

Just saying.

^^ Nah, you just probably haven't gotten your ears adjusted to liking a sound in the room that will sound good recorded. Took me a good bit to adjust from live/band playing to mixing in that aspect; now the two are synched up and my live sound has never been better ;).

^^ Nah, you just probably haven't gotten your ears adjusted to liking a sound in the room that will sound good recorded. Took me a good bit to adjust from live/band playing to mixing in that aspect; now the two are synched up and my live sound has never been better ;).

Entirely fair and possible. I've played in bands here and there, but for the vast majority of my career as a guitarist, I've been a studio musician.

I MUCH prefer playing guitar through a miked amp and listening on monitors.

Can you post some clips? Also a comparison between the orange and the marshall could be usefull

I'd love to, but haven't had the opportunity yet... Even if I did, my recording gear isn't all that great... SM57-> Art Pre (with or without)-> M-Audio Fast Track Pro-> Cubase

this thread makes me feel bad about owning a 1x12 orange haha. next will be mesa!

Sorry man! Didn't mean to rain on your parade! maybe it works for you, but not for me yet. I was a an Orange fanboy until a day ago :( But maybe what works for you doesn't for me.

y'all are deaf.
Love orange cabs.

What's your setup with an Orange? What do you play? Have you ever A/B'd with other cabs?

You will generally perceive alot more lows and highs from the Marshall cab, as the T75 is a more scooped sounding speaker. And it can take a while to adjust and learn to dial your amp in to the new cab. The settings you use with your marshall will not work with your orange at all. You'll need to scoop your mids more and give it more lows and highs to compensate for the fact that the V30 is a more mid heavy speaker.

I had V30's in a 2x12, and although I didn't like that cab either, it didn't crush the low end and didn't sound very midrangy.

Maybe I do need to learn to dial in my tone better with this cab but I find myself fighting it. I've tried compensating with EQs for hours. Like I said, I built my tone from the ground up. I ditched my settings I turned all my knobs to zero and started from scratch.

You'll probably find that if you mic both up the orange will be alot easier to work with in the mix.

Possible, but I haven't had the opportunity to record anything yet, and I don't have really good gear.
The thing is, from other reviews I notice people saying how the Orange was their "favorite cab in the room" but not recorded. Might be a question of different strokes for different folks though or just the fact that our ears are all blown differently ;)

From what you're saying I'm honestly wondering if you're running too much lows in your rig anyway? the Orange has plenty of low end, and if you're struggling to get enough from it then you've probably got a tone that doesn't exactly leave much room for a bass guitar.

I hear what you are saying, so here are my settings:
Typically, it's
Bass=6
Resonance=4
7 band BOSS EQ pedal in FX loop (on Marshall 1960A)= +1 to +1.5 on the lowest frequency.

If it conflicts with the bass, I can always cut the EQ just a tad.

On the Orange I have to everything up more.

I own the PPC212 and this thing is pretty dull sounding.
I could'nt get rid of the dullness, even if presence and treble are cranked. I love the cab, but for metal stuff tones I prefer other cabs.

If it's dull, how can you love it? Please explain.

Orange cabs are a bit too boomy for my liking.

Mine isn't really boomy in comparison to my 1960A at all.

In my experience, if the cabinet sounds good to you while standing in front of it, it's going to sound like complete ass when you record it.
I've NEVER had a sound I 'liked' when standing in front of the cab translate into a recorded tone I was pleased with.
Just saying.

Sounds like my experience, but I don't have much experience working with guitar, and I've never had a good experience except for maybe once. This "translation" thing drives me nuts. You sit there and make something sound great outta the cab, just to find it doesn't sound good recorded.

Entirely fair and possible. I've played in bands here and there, but for the vast majority of my career as a guitarist, I've been a studio musician.
I MUCH prefer playing guitar through a miked amp and listening on monitors.
In this case, I believe by doing it that way and working on the sound that way, you have a clearer picture of the end result.

I'd love to, but haven't had the opportunity yet... Even if I did, my recording gear isn't all that great... SM57-> Art Pre (with or without)-> M-Audio Fast Track Pro-> Cubase

That's plenty adequate for getting a good recorded tone. I own a Fast Track Pro and don't really have any issues getting good mic'd tones running a 57 into the built-in preamp.

Not a 412 comparison but still... Orange 212 and Marshall 412. Same speaker, mic in same position. Orange first, Marshall second.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3202762/orange_v_marshall.mp3

Thanks for that. Seems the orange would cut a little bit more. Same or different amp/eq setting? I wonder how they'd sound together...

Also, what's the setup? And did you reamp or do it separately?

The differences between the cabs in the room are much more severe for me though; although, I haven't had a chance to record them both yet.

It's the v30's. They take a loooooong time to break in and until then they will sound like total ass. Definitely try the G12k75's in there and see how you like it. Personally I just plain hate v30's, even after they are broken in. But the good thing is lots of people love them, so you could always sell them and get a different set of speakers with the money.

Just saying.

It really depends on the specific cab. I am really pleased with how the Mesa mics up. With other cabs you always have to kinda search around for a sweet spot and/or dial the settings to try to help out the mic toned (ignoring the room sound), but with the Mesa I think it's pretty easy. Get it sounding good in the room first, and then getting a good mic'd tone is really easy.

It really depends on the specific cab. I am really pleased with how the Mesa mics up. With other cabs you always have to kinda search around for a sweet spot and/or dial the settings to try to help out the mic toned (ignoring the room sound), but with the Mesa I think it's pretty easy. Get it sounding good in the room first, and then getting a good mic'd tone is really easy.

I find the Mesa 4x12 really easy to record as well, it's my primary cabinet. I'm still never pleased with it in the room though.

Edit: And I'm very happy with my recorded tones.

I find the Mesa 4x12 really easy to record as well, it's my primary cabinet. I'm still never pleased with it in the room though.

Edit: And I'm very happy with my recorded tones.

I feel like it's a chase for the Yetti. You get your gear sounding great in the room, then it's back to square one when you stick a 57 in front of it. :ill:

On top of it, you get a great sound by itself in the room, and then you find yourself having to double track L and R just to get it sounding as thick... And THEN, you have to decrease your preamp gain just a tad for the recording or else the double tracked sound gets noisy/fuzzy. It's just wanna doze things that make you go "who's palyin' tirckz on meh?"

On the other hand, you get a great tone in the booth, but then when you go into the room, the tone is even that much better which pisses you off, or your tone sounds like butt and you gotta rework it for live purposes... and then, you'll always have the chance of it sound better or worse through the main PA because it is mic'd and it's a totally different animal.

Anyhow... enough bitching... going to go play through this thing s'more and switch out the speakers just to see what happens... if I have time and can do it before the lady gets home and tells me to cut out the racket ;)

RESULTS: DAY 2

-no recordings yet so... yeah..

BUT! - I did a GT12-75 and V30 X-Pattern configuration ala Bogner Uberkab....

orangeppc4x12withv30andgt1275inxpattern.gif

AND IT IMMEDIATELY SOUNDS MUCH BETTER IN THE ROOM.

My thinking is that maybe the V30 to most sounds great recorded, but the GT12-75 to me sounds more "Hi-Fi" as far as "scooped" etc.

So this gives me the best of both worlds... Slightly less boomy bass, clarity and "open-ness" of the 75's + other characteristics of the V30's in the room, and a choice of which to mic. I think maybe a bit of the bass from the 75's might get in the mix, but hopefully it won't be overpowering, and I can always cut some EQ if I have to.

What I also found is that this mellowed out the 75's ice picks because now there are only 2 instead of four :).

The only fear I have is getting super used to the sound, and then having to double mic and worry about annoying phasing issues all the time which is its own can of worms.

NEXT TEST: I will now put the spare V30's from the Orange in the 1960A and see what happens.

BTW, here is a comparison of G12T-75 vs V30 on gearslutz (I know these shootouts are subjective, but the GT12-75's in these clips aren't bad...) :::

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...346716-celestion-g12t75-vs-celestion-v30.html

Just a stupid question (or not :D):
You have your amp at 16Ohms right?
This cab is 16 Ohms.

Just to make sure you are aware of that :)

Anyway, this cab with V30s is darker, less forward than a Mesa, Marshall, Diezel, Mills...
But has a great low end although the amp working at 16Ohms isn't so tight as at 8Ohms.

Just a stupid question (or not :D):
You have your amp at 16Ohms right?
This cab is 16 Ohms.

Just to make sure you are aware of that :)

Anyway, this cab with V30s is darker, less forward than a Mesa, Marshall, Diezel, Mills...
But has a great low end although the amp working at 16Ohms isn't so tight as at 8Ohms.

Yes. 16 ohms.
Woah... nice gear at that link! Fala Portugues?