Origin review

I've seen a lot of comments here in regards the similarities of Vintersorg's later works and Borknagar's more recent.

Andreas has a very recognisable voice, we all know this. He has a VERY unique timbre, thats the very characteristic of his singing which ropes us all in.

If there are similarities between both bands, I feel it would most likely be because of how huge the effect that Andreas' voice can have on music. It's a VERY big stamp on the music, it sticks out like a sore thumb (I mean this in a positive way, not negative).

If I had any real criticisms, it would be his singing style in recent years:

Take the last 2 (now 3) Borknagar albums. We have seen a steady rise of sharper transitions from lower to upper registers, in some cases creating a complete break into falsetto. I feel this destroys the sustaining quality of Andeas' timbre, which is his voice's most remarkable quality.

Because of his natural mid-range timbre, I don't find that he has a strong enough falsetto, it thins incredibly when used and I dont find it works well. Amazingly, he has a beautiful lower register which somehow seems to texturise his timbre even more when used. Its like listening to water running down a stream.

I prefer his singing style which we heard back on the Vintersorg album "Visions of the Spiral Generator": take for example "Spegelsfären" - my GOD, when I first heard this I shivered like anything!

On this verse (the chorus)

"Bildspel sprungna ur själens essens
Spränger varje tankes gräns
Ett klot bortom världsalltets kvintessens"

Listen CAREFULLY to his transitions on the words "själens essens". This single moment is what I feel is his single most powerful vocal delivery in his entire recorded career, and this kind of delivery is what he needs to use even more. It is not only jawdropping, but it is unorthodox and VERY different.

Those vocal lines are simply BEAUTIFUL, clear, smooth transitions maximising his timbre throughout his entire delivery on the song. It is simply stunning, and that is what I want to see him do more.

Peace, H

Finally got this disc- I enjoy it but I just haven't been in the mood for subdued, acoustic music lately. I've been feeling a little antsy and impatient, and I need something more visceral. Still, I enjoyed it. It just doesn't get many spins.

Finally, at bloody last... I got my copy of Origin today! I've been waiting forever for it to appear in a store here. I'm the proud owner of every single album :)

I've seen a lot of comments here in regards the similarities of Vintersorg's later works and Borknagar's more recent.

Andreas has a very recognisable voice, we all know this. He has a VERY unique timbre, thats the very characteristic of his singing which ropes us all in.

If there are similarities between both bands, I feel it would most likely be because of how huge the effect that Andreas' voice can have on music. It's a VERY big stamp on the music, it sticks out like a sore thumb (I mean this in a positive way, not negative).

If I had any real criticisms, it would be his singing style in recent years:

Take the last 2 (now 3) Borknagar albums. We have seen a steady rise of sharper transitions from lower to upper registers, in some cases creating a complete break into falsetto. I feel this destroys the sustaining quality of Andeas' timbre, which is his voice's most remarkable quality.

Because of his natural mid-range timbre, I don't find that he has a strong enough falsetto, it thins incredibly when used and I dont find it works well. Amazingly, he has a beautiful lower register which somehow seems to texturise his timbre even more when used. Its like listening to water running down a stream.

I prefer his singing style which we heard back on the Vintersorg album "Visions of the Spiral Generator": take for example "Spegelsfären" - my GOD, when I first heard this I shivered like anything!

On this verse (the chorus)

"Bildspel sprungna ur själens essens
Spränger varje tankes gräns
Ett klot bortom världsalltets kvintessens"

Listen CAREFULLY to his transitions on the words "själens essens". This single moment is what I feel is his single most powerful vocal delivery in his entire recorded career, and this kind of delivery is what he needs to use even more. It is not only jawdropping, but it is unorthodox and VERY different.

Those vocal lines are simply BEAUTIFUL, clear, smooth transitions maximising his timbre throughout his entire delivery on the song. It is simply stunning, and that is what I want to see him do more.

Peace, H

Yup, but his timbre is so unique that it won't fit in everywhere, as with Origin. In Waterclime it was great, and the same goes for Vintesorg and the two other Borknagar-albums. All in all nothing beats his compatability with Otyg's sound, that's where he fitted the most in my opinion :)