Orphaned Land in NYC 03/08 - Who's going?

be

there

early.
This.

:kickass: Gwynbleidd :kickass:

Everyone should make it a point to get there in time for Gwynbleidd's set. I've seen them live twice and they were excellent on both occasions. If you're not familiar with them, the most obvious point of reference is Opeth. That said, they're hardly an Opeth clone, they simply operate in a similar head space.

http://www.myspace.com/gwynbleidd

Zod

This.

Everyone should make it a point to get there in time for Gwynbleidd's set. I've seen them live twice and they were excellent on both occasions. If you're not familiar with them, the most obvious point of reference is Opeth. That said, they're hardly an Opeth clone, they simply operate in a similar head space.

Zod

Awesome. Glad to know that means you're gonna be there. :lol:

This.

Zod

They were great as the last minute substitute on the first Pagan Fest for the Montreal date.
Curse you Monday show!

This.

Zod
Can't wait to check 'em out. See you all there!

(0T: AeonicSlumber? Lol. Wish I knew what he looked like. )

Can't wait to check 'em out. See you all there!

(0T: AeonicSlumber? Lol. Wish I knew what he looked like. )

He's somewhere in here:

MT148_400px_72dpi.jpg

They blew the roof off BB King's.

:kickass: :worship: :headbang: :kickass: :worship: :headbang:

It was also great seeing everyone last night!

That is all...

Steph
Indeed they did! What fun! Great crowd! Was super seeing everyone.

Real quick, I want to address what someone said about being disappointed in the show in another thread.

I was a little worried that the show would be boring because of that post. Well, I have to firmly disagree with their assessment. I thought OL totally ROCKED! The first three songs were incredibly heavy, melodic and fast tempo. The fourth was a new one I think, (No, I don't know any of the names of the songs; I'm lame like that i.e. lazy), but I liked it. I'm pretty sure they played at least three or four from Mabool. Someone help me out with this.

Overall, I felt the whole show was very metal, spiritual and totally fun. Too bad B.B. Kings has perfected the muddy sound syndrome. Can't say I've missed that place since they've stopped having so many metal shows. It's hot, smelly and sticky. Only other downer of the night was when some poor girl (Lela?) got her arm bit HARD by some feral bitch. Hope the cops got her.

The crowd looked to between 500 - 600. Pretty good for a Monday night. I recall there being some discussion in another thread, regarding what sort of support a band like Orphaned Land could expect to receive outside the traditional Metal community. I'd say perhaps 5% of the folks there seemed like they were in attendance based on culture, rather than Metal.

Orphaned Land's performance was strong. Not quite as good as they're first PP appearance, but better than their second. The band was tight, and Kobi's voice really blossomed throughout the first two thirds of the show. However, it began to fade a bit as the night went on, more so on the clean vocals. Not surprising given the circumstances (first headlining tour, crossing great distances, clean/death style, etc.). Overall, a very good show.

I was really surprised by just how much pre-recorded sound the band leverages (they even used additional drum sounds, during the drum solo). This isn't a criticism mind you, just something that struck me.

Of note, at one point Kobi asked the crowd for whom was this their first Middle Eastern Metal experience. This question brought a loud cheer. He then followed that question up by asking who had seen Orphaned Land before. When that question also got a fairly loud cheer, Kobi said, "Ahhh... my ProgPower people."

Also of note was Gwynbleidd's performance. They were perhaps the tightest band of the evening and really deserve to get more attention than they've received to date.

As always, it was great to see all the PP people.

Zod

Wow...

I don't recall being that captivated by a concert in a long time.

Orphaned Land was fantastic. I was really surprised to see how many people showed up. Easily 600 people there, which was great. I agree with Ann Marie, the show was very spiritual in a way. The setlist was mainly the new album and 3 songs off Mabool. Not bad at all if you ask me. I honestly thought there was the potential for a failure (like the Grave Digger show at BB King's).

Gwynbleidd must have made new fans, for sure. Tight band. The best "local" band I've seen in my life. These guys deserve a lot more exposure. I have a feeling they'll go far. Suidakra was fun, but I didn't see the whole set.

As usual, it was great to see all of you there!! Hope you all had as good a time as I did!