I'm going to Israel (discussion,also orphaned land concert dates?)

Apr 8, 2005
Hey guys.

I'm going to Israel on a program called Shnat for 10 months on the 6th of Febuary. I'm really excited as several of my friends have gone before and said it was the best year of their lives, I have a few questions concerning Orphaned Land and Israel

a) Does anyone know any Orphaned Land concert dates in Israel this year? I looked at the ones in the other topic but they were all outside of Israel as I'll be there for a year I'm sure I'll have a pretty high chance of seeing guys!.

b) For those who have been to Israel (or Orphaned Land!) what are some places you'd recommend going to? In relation to interesting biblical stories and stuff.

c) If I can't see Orphaned Land in concert is there anywhere I could see you guys in Israel (I dont mean hey can I come to your house) I mean is there anywhere you'd be like a music meeting or something where I could possibly meet you guys or something?

SO EXCITED about going to Israel, and it would be like a once in a life time chance for a New Zealander to see Orphaned Land as you guys would probally never come here. So yeah, really be a shame if I came over and didnt get to see you guys play!

Hey!
As far as I know there is at least one concert planned for february or later then that, so I believe you'll make it!

Israel is an enormous little piece of history, basicly there arent areas which are not bible-related or historically insignificant so you will find interrest in most areas here, However you do have to see Jerusale, the western-walls tunnels and the old quarters, The Negev desert which is an unspeakable experience for the senses, the Kinneret (galillei sea), Sefad (sefad/ tzfat..) which is the birthplace of Kabbalah, specially Mt. Meron area. You would love old Jaffa and tel aviv, perhaps you shouls also visit the edge of the country - Eilat which is a summer city on the bands of the red sea.
This is only a tiny tip of what you should see here but its the main tourists visit places.

Do you know where you will stay in Iisrael?

Great for you, Natalie...we could use some dutch people here to lighten the spirit a bit.well I guess I'll see you in one of the OL concerts if you ever come here again
and finally I'll meet my boss:D
you still look like Angela Gossow don't you?

and Avish...is there an exact date for the concert?

Folklore said:
Hey!
As far as I know there is at least one concert planned for february or later then that, so I believe you'll make it!

Israel is an enormous little piece of history, basicly there arent areas which are not bible-related or historically insignificant so you will find interrest in most areas here, However you do have to see Jerusale, the western-walls tunnels and the old quarters, The Negev desert which is an unspeakable experience for the senses, the Kinneret (galillei sea), Sefad (sefad/ tzfat..) which is the birthplace of Kabbalah, specially Mt. Meron area. You would love old Jaffa and tel aviv, perhaps you shouls also visit the edge of the country - Eilat which is a summer city on the bands of the red sea.
This is only a tiny tip of what you should see here but its the main tourists visit places.

Do you know where you will stay in Iisrael?

I know we are going to the Negev,The Kinneret not sure about the others. We are staying all over the place! Probally the main places and a kibbutz for 3 months real near the city (which I forgot the name of), once I'm over there I'll post some info and stuff.

Thanks,Morticia NL. I'll be sure to do that in the future if I'm stuck or whatever. Plus I might need to know about some good Israeli Metal bands I could possibly see ;) all I know about music from Israel is some hilarious Israeli rap (Subliminal), Israeli Trance (Infected Mushroom) and the amazing Orphaned Land :).

Also I forgot to tell you guys I'll probally also be going to Poland, Sweden and Canada. Amazing ah!

Kobi showed me this before - www.metalisrael.com

And yeah, Folklore basically said it - every inch of the country has historical significance in one way or another. There are a ton of different places to hang out for interesting biblical stuff, and they'll almost definitely take you to all of them on the trip. Are they really strict with stuff, or do they give you enough freedom to get to an Orphaned Land concert in the first place? In fact, what kind of trip is it in the first place - most have like a stated purpose or something...

coolsnow7 said:
Kobi showed me this before - www.metalisrael.com

And yeah, Folklore basically said it - every inch of the country has historical significance in one way or another. There are a ton of different places to hang out for interesting biblical stuff, and they'll almost definitely take you to all of them on the trip. Are they really strict with stuff, or do they give you enough freedom to get to an Orphaned Land concert in the first place? In fact, what kind of trip is it in the first place - most have like a stated purpose or something...

Nah it's not strict at all, you basicially go a few classes but for the rest of the time go out party hard etc. So yeah I'd definately get to go.

The Minds Eye said:
Nah it's not strict at all, you basicially go a few classes but for the rest of the time go out party hard etc. So yeah I'd definately get to go.

What's the point of the trip supposed to be?

Yossi_Orphaned_Land said:
We'd be happy to host you in our humble country :)

As for the show - No final dates yet, but be sure we will have a show within the 10 months you'll be visiting here (at least one, and possibly a regular set and an acoustic set as well)

That would be great, I'll check the site for details as being a New Zealander getting to see you guys would be like a once in a life time experience. PLUS! It would also make up for me missing the only time Opeth come to New Zealand on the 29th of April while I'm away.

Anyone who wants to know the point of it search these keywords on google: Shnat Israel, or like Habonim Dror Shnat Israel or something.

The Minds Eye said:
That would be great, I'll check the site for details as being a New Zealander getting to see you guys would be like a once in a life time experience. PLUS! It would also make up for me missing the only time Opeth come to New Zealand on the 29th of April while I'm away.

Anyone who wants to know the point of it search these keywords on google: Shnat Israel, or like Habonim Dror Shnat Israel or something.

Opeth are doing a show Tel Aviv on April 1st this year but It was all sold out...I bought tickets for me and my friends.If one of my friends eventually rejects his ticket(which is highly unlikely but still),I'd be able to sell it to you.

paradoxile said:
Opeth are doing a show Tel Aviv on April 1st this year but It was all sold out...I bought tickets for me and my friends.If one of my friends eventually rejects his ticket(which is highly unlikely but still),I'd be able to sell it to you.

I would probally become your new best friend after that happens.

OK, so you got some time to spend- GREAT
Let me tell you you will never get tired of Israel!!!!:hotjump:

As Paradoxile stated: Jaffa is a must see!!! I don't know the name of the place, but there is this bakery store just outside Jaffa which is pretty well known and they have the best food there. Some kind of bread with feta like cheese and herbs called "zahar"on it> yummie!!!!:loco:
What you should do is walk down the whole of the Tel Aviv boulevard along the beach, then you finally end up at Jaffa. It is about 25 minute walking. Great scenery!
You probably know that the pictures of the Mabool booklet and the Norra el norra clip were shot in and around Jaffa. This place is the home of many artists today ( painters, sculptors etc)

Then Kineret ( known as teh Sea of Galilee), up north is beautiful!You take a trip through the mountains, then suddenly you see a glittering diamond in the distance- this is the site of Kineret> the one and only resource of sweet/drinking water in Israel.
The beach just before you get to Haifa is one of the most beautiful ones. In Haifa itself you got the Baiha gardens, also very nice sight. One thing about Haifa> humidity is very very high, if you are not used to it, it feels like you are suffocating at first.o_O

You know Israel has 3 different climates.....so nights in Tel Aviv are warm and sweaty, when 1,5 hours down the road, in Jerusalem the nights are a bit more chilly already!

Go and visit the holy place of the Kabalah, an ancient city in the mountains up north, called Safed. It is quiet and peaceful and the buildings of the center look a bit like Jaffa. You can take the bus everywhere by the way> Egged company is cheap and they run buses throughout the country.:cool:

Jerusalem is a must see ofcourse!!! My tip: go to the arab market and get on top of the roofs. To my amazement I found places to walk there and benches, lantarns. It is the fastest way to get through the ancient city.

Tel Aviv is great!!! You can shop till you drop dead, but also there is a great nightlife there. Go to the Mosad on thursday nights. It is not a quality nightclub, but they play metal and you can meet some famous people there ( home of Uri, who is a dj at this club, Eden & Matti go there almost every week) Then there is some new club in Jaffa, I dont know what its like, cause I have not been there, but this is a metal club as well. From what I’ve seen it looks promising.:headbang:

Eilat is wonderful for a lazy vacation. Miles of beaches beaches, restaurants, a lot of Israelis go there to have a relaxed vacation. When you are at the beach in Eilat, you can see Jordan to one side, Egypt to the other. Towardsthe end of August you can go to the Red Sea Jazz festival, the location of the festival is at the harbour. You must realize that around this time of year it can get to 40/45 degrees in Eilat!!! I could recomend you some cheap and good places to stay, same goes for Jerusalem.

If you still have some time to spare: the dead sea region. It is about a 1,5 hr busride when you are in Jerusalem. Go to the ancient fortress of Masada- I don’t have to explain this historical site... then afterwards, take a spa at some dead sea resort. You have to go to a resort to be able to bathe in the dead sea, because the largest part of the coast line is muddy and very dangerous! Only at those spa places you can get to the sea. Entrance will set you back about 12 dollars and you can stay there for the whole day ( sulfur bath and shower, swimming pools, rub the dead sea mud onto your skin), DO bring some plastic sandals, because you cannot walk on the sand- it’s too damn hot. Then float in the dead sea, a wonderful way to relax!!!:)

On the other end of the sea, you can see the beautiful country of Jordan. I have not been there myself (yet!) but it is said to be breathtaking. You need a visum to go there, but you can get it when crossing the border. From Tel Aviv to Amman is only 55 miles. I suggest you go to Eilat and cross the border there. Take a day trip to visit the ancient place called Petra- one of the most extrodinary places to visit. This is the city built in the rocks, as you probably know.

-sorry, it seems I’m writing a book here, cannot help it for being so enthousiastic-:Spin:

Go to the beach in Ranana, the beach is beautiful there! If you get tired of the sun, go to one of the many bars. And also visit the MaxBrenner shop if you like chocolat like me- grrrrrreat shop> they even serve chocolat sou and chocolat pizza :tickled:

If you would like to see some pictures> I can send you some. I have removed the ones that I put in some threads, due to lack of space. But the pics will give you a pretty good idea of where to go.

:wave: wish I could be there to show you the sights, but it so happens I am thinking of coming over towards the end of the summer- we should meet.

:wave: Nathalie

Couldn't put it better myself...
The bakery Natalie talked about is probably Aboulafia...Nearby there's a flea market where you can get all sorts of cool things and cheap(It's improtant to negotiate the price because the merchants there always offer a high price in the beginning).

Paradoxile, I think that is the name of the place!!
Oww, I forgot to mention the flea market.There is also a great open air market on Ben Yehuda street ( am I right??, or is this Jerusalem) on a friday.

On bargaining in Israel>
1. go to Turkey to master the skills
2. learn the numers in hebrew
3. I always say I can only count to 99:D
4 I ask> kama ze? and then 'Bambi eye' them. They think> oow the little tourist Barbie girl puts effort into speaking hebrew and I walk away with the best deals :p
5 NEVER show them euros, dollars or credit cards, always say you are a poor student!!!

Morticia NL. said:
Paradoxile, I think that is the name of the place!!
Oww, I forgot to mention the flea market.There is also a great open air market on Ben Yehuda street ( am I right??, or is this Jerusalem) on a friday.

On bargaining in Israel>
1. go to Turkey to master the skills
2. learn the numers in hebrew
3. I always say I can only count to 99:D
4 I ask> kama ze? and then 'Bambi eye' them. They think> oow the little tourist Barbie girl puts effort into speaking hebrew and I walk away with the best deals :p
5 NEVER show them euros, dollars or credit cards, always say you are a poor student!!!

There's Mahane Yehuda Market in Jerusalem as for Ben Yehuda street in TA...Never been there so I don't know...perhaps you mean the Carmel Market...I don't visit those parts of Tel Aviv.

as for the rest...you're pretty much right except for the fact why you get good deals...It's not your effort to speak hebrew or anything like that...It's because you're blond and pretty:worship: ...maybe the bambi eyes have something to do with it.

almost forgot one more usefull tip which is good for every country that doesn't use Euros is to make sure you know the coins. the highest coin we got is 10 shekels...looks like a 2Euro coin(gold in the middle and a silver ring around) and is worth alittle less than 2Euros.it's a shame to give 10shekels instead of 10agorot(israeli cents) just because you don't know what the coins look like.seen it happen to tourists in the flee market.