OT: Anyone have some tips/help regarding a garage conversion into a mini studio?

Tesseract

Dec 2, 2003
Milton Keynes UK
Visit site
Yow peeps,

I might be moving soon and am looking at the idea of converting the garage into a soundproofed room for mixing and recording guitars. The house is in a row of 4 houses which is a bit of a downgrade from the detached im in at the moment. Behind the houses are all the garages for the houses and the one i'm getting has a single garage.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips, useful resources, things to look out for etc? I just want to make sure no sound can escape from the garage to the houses (which are about 20ft away maybe). Bearing in mind the loudest thing i'd be doing is micing a cab...other than it would just be mixing which is only loud if i'm getting my groove on with some new material :p

Was looking at things like:
-Building a wall (is breezeblock the best material?) behind the MAIN garage door...but what else would be needed around here to keep it sound proofed.
-It would need some kind of ceiling making because at the moment its just beams to the angled roof.
-Adding wooden frames with the sound insulation stuff inbetween them on the walls...then plasterboard.
-Possibly some kind of 2nd door infront of the back entrance from the house? Or perhaps just a better quality door?
-What sort of stuff could be done to the floor?
-Was also thinking of a tiny booth to fit a guitar cab into...possibly on a raised floor to help reduce low frequency leakage.

After all that there might just be enough room to fit a cat into.

Any ideas would be grateful!

necromancer called it - you're going to need to build an entire set of interior walls and a ceiling inside of the existing structure.

when you build it, space the studs out 8" instead of the usual 16". when you attach the drywall to each side, attach it to every other stud, with none of the pieces of drywall sharing a stud.

remember, the best method of keeping sound from escaping is to put a mass-air-mass barrier. aside from that, your best bet is a wall of cement/cinder blocks.

Kurtz, that's a cool idea about alternating studs - is that just to avoid transmission of vibration from one piece of drywall to the other through the nails?