OT: Argh! $3.49 GAS In Michigan!

Miltbrand said:
Boo hoo hoo! Around here it´s about $7.20!!!

Yes, but how is your public transportation? It would take me 2 hours to get to work if I wanted to use it. It would involve me driving to the train station, taking that into downtown, walking several blocks south, then taking the elevated train out to where I work. With all monthy passes I would need, it would come to over $200/month.

remington69 said:
Yes, but how is your public transportation? It would take me 2 hours to get to work if I wanted to use it. It would involve me driving to the train station, taking that into downtown, walking several blocks south, then taking the elevated train out to where I work. With all monthy passes I would need, it would come to over $200/month.

Actually, right now there are massive problems with national and regional trains, the rails are worn down and the trains that are actually running have to do so at an extremely slow speed = massive delays!
City buses run frequently and on time, metro/city trains are infrequent because of the bomb scare. (Many people think we are next in line for a terrorist attack like the ones in London and Madrid)

On top of the $7.20 for a gallon of gas, cars here are extremely expensive. Like I wrote in an earlier thread, we pay an extra 180% taxes on top of the actual price of a car....

So I don´t think we´re much better off....

This is killing me.
I live in Michigan and have a 55 mile drive to work.
That's 110 miles a day minimum!

Next to my Mortgage payment, fuel is my next biggest bill.

I just read that many stations are running out of fuel too!!! Therefore prices are going to skyrocket further. My Labor Day camping trip is in jeapordy, unless I choose to not take my truck, trailer and 4 wheelers.

MyHatred said:
Amsterdam$6.48
Norway$6.27
Italy$5.96
Denmark$5.93
Belgium$5.91
Sweden$5.80
Germany$5.57
France$5.54
Portugal$5.35
Hungary$4.9
Egypt$0.65
Nigeria0.38
Venezuela$0.12

Maybe we should all move to Venezuela and hang out with Hugo and the Reverand Jesse Jackson:ill: :yuk:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news/gas_prices/index.htm

As it says on the site: All prices updated March, 2005.

Since then, the prices have gone one way. Up! Tomorrow the price will rise about $0.40

Lordlindsey said:
This is killing me.
I live in Michigan and have a 55 mile drive to work.
That's 110 miles a day minimum!

Next to my Mortgage payment, fuel is my next biggest bill.

I just read that many stations are running out of fuel too!!! Therefore prices are going to skyrocket further. My Labor Day camping trip is in jeapordy, unless I choose to not take my truck, trailer and 4 wheelers.

I hear ya LordLindsey. I was supposed to go up to Manistee this weekend to go fishing and drink beers...It's not looking very likely now.

My fill up last week was $2.74 - I'm sure I'll crap my pants on the next fill up.

The stations that were at $2.65 last week were very crowded.

as much as I hate the high price of gas, we (americans) still pay less than pretty much everone else in the world. I dont feel bad for people who daily drive big old SUVs with V8s and hear them bitch about the price of gas. Get a fuel efficient car. Gas will never go back down, thats a reality. I had to sell my truck and got a Scion. I now get 39-45 MPG. 35 bucks to fill the tank, and it lasts me 3 weeks as a daily driver.

I have to agree a little with Iam138. I drive a Prism, it costs me about 35-40 bucks to fill up but I have gas for 2 weeks on daily driving. People who drive H2's and other gigantic gas sucking automobiles, get zero sympathy from me.

The thing that pisses me off is how the media basically controls the prices with their damn speculation.

I don't think the overseas drivers understand our situation here. They all keep clamoring about how much more they have to pay where they are. The United States oil prices have been so low in the past it was never really a big deal. But now the prices are at record levels and our incomes aren't getting any larger, how are we supposed to feel and cope with the higher prices? The reason we're bitching is because we're not accustom to these prices. Also our economy is SHIT here so we're definately gonna feel the impact more signicicantly. Generally, european currencies are worth a lot more than the USD.

ThraxMan

It's scary to think how quickly the price went up when just a few weeks ago we had this same discussion, only then the speculation was $3.00 a gallon and we thought that was ridiculous. And as I stated in other thread, I hate SUVs and H2s as well. I don't give people sympathy who drive them either because I have to pay the same damn price they do and they are eating up way more gas than me.

ThraxMan said:
I don't think the overseas drivers understand our situation here. They all keep clamoring about how much more they have to pay where they are. The United States oil prices have been so low in the past it was never really a big deal. But now the prices are at record levels and our incomes aren't getting any larger, how are we supposed to feel and cope with the higher prices? The reason we're bitching is because we're not accustom to these prices. Also our economy is SHIT here so we're definately gonna feel the impact more signicicantly. Generally, european currencies are worth a lot more than the USD.

ThraxMan

Just because the USD doesn't buy you as many, say, euros, as it did a few years ago, doesn't mean that the euro is worth more in its own region; relative to the standard of living in euro countries, petrol prices are still much higher than in the U.S., relatively speaking. I would say that petrol prices in the U.S. have been artificially low for a very long time. Again, maybe now people will start to think about the car they drive (buying more fuel-efficient cars), now that it directly affects their pocketbook.

Drokk said:
Just because the USD doesn't buy you as many, say, euros, as it did a few years ago, doesn't mean that the euro is worth more in its own region; relative to the standard of living in euro countries, petrol prices are still much higher than in the U.S., relatively speaking. I would say that petrol prices in the U.S. have been artificially low for a very long time. Again, maybe now people will start to think about the car they drive (buying more fuel-efficient cars), now that it directly affects their pocketbook.

As much as I would like people will think about the cars they drive, I don't think many people will be giving up their vehicles any time soon. They will complain about it now and for the time being afterwards but people will get accustomed to it and just deal with it as sad as I think that is.