gas prices ...

nicely done!

I had to do all kinds of annoying techniques like putting it in neutral on dowhills, driving annoyingly slow, turning off the engine at stops, and accelerating as lightly as possible.
I did the same with the Subaru recently and watched with amazement as I cracked the 30 mpg barrier.

Check out gassavers.org

turning the car off at lights seems a bit extreme to me. isn't it worse on the starter and engine if you do this dozens of times a day?

turning the car off at lights seems a bit extreme to me. isn't it worse on the starter and engine if you do this dozens of times a day?

Maybe. I only do it at lights I know are long and only if I get there right when it changes. I don't do it for any less than 30 seconds.

Chalk this up to confirmation bias, but last Fall the tires in my Mazda were so horribly underinflated that after re-inflating them to the correct pressure I swear I was getting at least 30% better mileage on longer road trips.

gassavers.org recommends inflating your tires to the max that the tire is rated for - not what the car manufacturer recommends. I'm too lazy to try this - not to mention there's always bums hanging out by the air hoses because they KNOW you have change to give them or you wouldnt be pulling up to get air.

Also, LOL @ Chromie for about the 12th time today

you can almost feel it when tires are underinflated ... the car drags ... like a sloth. higher rolling resistance of course ads to more consumption.
if you inflate to proper psi ... it feels like the car picks up speed and glides.

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/7/14/95317/4142
Happy now Krig? [possibly] lower gas prices [POSSIBLY] by 2030.

Short term: not a thing, except for some rich oil execs.

Next plan? We harvest every whale in the ocean to use as heating oil? or how about lifting any and all restrictions on burning coal to make electricity cheaper? And those damn food prices, lets just overharvest everything.

Is it so hard to accept that our lifestyle is not sustainable and things need to change, transit needs to be built and alternative energy sources need to be used?

No, but its not "the american way" right?

0.13 of each gallon goes to this kid's college fund.

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/7/14/95317/4142
Happy now Krig? [possibly] lower gas prices [POSSIBLY] by 2030.

Short term: not a thing, except for some rich oil execs.

Next plan? We harvest every whale in the ocean to use as heating oil? or how about lifting any and all restrictions on burning coal to make electricity cheaper? And those damn food prices, lets just overharvest everything.

Is it so hard to accept that our lifestyle is not sustainable and things need to change, transit needs to be built and alternative energy sources need to be used?

No, but its not "the american way" right?

Do you read the articles you link, or just the headlines?!?! The second paragraph begins with, "The move is mostly symbolic, however. Unless Congress repeals its long-standing ban on offshore drilling, nothing will change." :eek:

Settle down junior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fully aware of that, the fact that the president believes that to be a good thing, as well as McCain... I sure as hell hope the democrats win, thats all I can say.

Whether you hate the spics and my pals or not, would you rather pay to help them or live in a strip mined polluted wasteland? (republican's wet dream, think of all the cash they'd make!). Granted its a democratic Congress atm, but that can change easily enough next time around.

The move is mostly symbolic, however. Unless Congress repeals its long-standing ban on offshore drilling, nothing will change.
It's symbolic of just how stupid and greedy our current administration is. Repealing this ban is like buying a "Better Sex" video for a crack whore, to ensure she's skilled enough to always get drugs for sex. The repeal is indicative of the larger issue; we can't see the forest through the trees.

At what point do we begin taking serious, immediate steps to move our economy away from its reliance on oil? We have 4% of the world's population and use 25% of its oil. There's no way we can sustain that need as China and India grow. And as businesses raise prices to offset costs, consumers will cut back. When consumers cut back, businesses will lay more and more people off. The fact that McCain can't see this, just shows how completely stupid he is. He's a relic, using 20th century thinking in a 20th century world.

We're so fucked.

Zod

we need oil now. and it will only take a year or two to get it out of the ground. 4-6 years for the really really hard to reach places.

Theres oil all over the place and congress wont let us get it.
You like high gas prices, thank congress.

Alternative fuel is not something that will happen tomorrow or even 5 years from now. We NEED oil.

Frank, it's not like there's a sea of oil under the Earth's crust just waiting to be sucked up through a giant vacuum. It's literally locked inside rock. The best way to decrease the impact of gas prices on your personal economy is to limit your driving to an absolute minimum.

Even the analysts on Fox (the geniuses likely to back Bush and John McSame) believe that we're unlikely to see any impact from off-shore drilling for 3 - 7 years. And then it might reduce the price of gas by 17 cents a gallon. I'm not of the opinion that we should let Exxon go balls deep on the environment for 17 cents a gallon.

If Bush actually wanted to repeal something that would have an impact beyond raising Exxon's stock dividend, he could attempt to re-enforce the national 55 MPH speed limit, like we had during the gas shortage. Driving 55 and obeying existing speed laws is estimated to save 20% - 50% on gas.

Zod

we need oil now. and it will only take a year or two to get it out of the ground. 4-6 years for the really really hard to reach places.

Theres oil all over the place and congress wont let us get it.
You like high gas prices, thank congress.

Alternative fuel is not something that will happen tomorrow or even 5 years from now. We NEED oil.

Are you insane?

what is your solution?
Start funding green technologies. Eventually, if the planet is to survive, we are going to need to migrate off of oil. No matter what your point of view, there will eventually be no oil left. Why not become the world leader in green technologies? We saw what happened when the last technology that everyone needed was unleashed (the internet). Jobs were plentiful, salaries were high, stocks were up. Everyone needs energy. If the government started investing heavily in the development of these technologies, instead of investing trillions trying to secure oil fields in Iraq, we could realize this goal. I realize this isn't an overnight solution. There are no magic bullets/quick fixes. We need to stop thinking/looking for short term solutions.

By the way, off-shore drilling isn't an answer. As I noted earlier, no one thinks off-shore will have a real impact on fuel costs in the short term or the long term. Your simply moving deck chairs on the titanic.

Zod

yes....
what is your solution?
Oil runs the world, and supply and demand is killing us right now.

Supply and demand is not the issue. A supply shortage is merely a fallacy that has been thrown out there to cover congress' ass over why they are completely inefficient to do anything towards these index speculators who are driving pump prices higher than Demilich on a bag of primo ganja. Perhaps the politicians are in bed with these fucks, who knows?!

drilling does nothing to the planet. We arent ruining the planet. Drop the Al Gore bullshit.
We cant shit into our gastank and get 400 mpg so quit thinking "green" is the answer.
The world runs on oil. right now the world is using more than there is. Which means.... drill for more oil

Im tired of this hippy green bullshit being shoved down our throats.

If we would have started drilling around the US 10 years ago, we wouldnt be in the shits like we are right now.