gas prices ...

anyone ever check out gassaver.org? There is some seriously funny shit on there. These assholes are squeezing 60 mpg out of 15 year old civics and I'm happy to get 20 out of my truck. In one year, my gas expenditures are more than their entire car.

You beat them again:
http://www.thelocal.se/12534.html
Original: http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=2502&a=794124
Translated:

So Mike, what threats does sweden have? I'm curious about some internal insight. Überwachung ist Krieg!
That right there is what we in Sweden call "the Government assrapes nation-law".

Our threats have been null and void since the demise of the Soviet Union, so I have no idea how they convinced eachother to vote for this since obviously lots of people are strongly against it. The sitting government will pay in the next election, but this was originally a proposition made by the former one (or so I've heard) so the question is who to vote for next... Mine will probably be blank, fuck the government, society and all kinds of big brother oppression.

That right there is what we in Sweden call "the Government assrapes nation-law".

Our threats have been null and void since the demise of the Soviet Union, so I have no idea how they convinced eachother to vote for this since obviously lots of people are strongly against it. The sitting government will pay in the next election, but this was originally a proposition made by the former one (or so I've heard) so the question is who to vote for next... Mine will probably be blank, fuck the government, society and all kinds of big brother oppression.

yeah, thats basically how I understood it as well. Way to out-orwell the UK AND the US in ONE move. Talk about owned, they did it in small steps over years, and you did one big plunge.

:lol::loco::puke:

Anyway, back to gas prices, anyone ride a Honda Ruckus or know one who does? They're the mileage champ, apparently, with 107 mpg.

So last night, I realized I could coast (tranny in neutral) my stupid truck nearly an entire MILE on the way home. I came within maybe 1/10th of a mile of the house before I had to put it back in drive. I only blew one stop sign and I probably couldve made it all the way home if I didn't have to make two 90 degree turns near the end.
I also broke the 20 mpg barrier (23.xx mpg) yesterday. My truck is rated for 18 mpg combined city/hwy. That's a 28% increase over EPA values. Take that Saudi Arabia!

:erk:

So last night, I realized I could coast (tranny in neutral) my stupid truck nearly an entire MILE on the way home. I came within maybe 1/10th of a mile of the house before I had to put it back in drive. I only blew one stop sign and I probably couldve made it all the way home if I didn't have to make two 90 degree turns near the end.
I also broke the 20 mpg barrier (23.xx mpg) yesterday. My truck is rated for 18 mpg combined city/hwy. That's a 28% increase over EPA values. Take that Saudi Arabia!

:erk:

LOL ... that's great dude. these fucking gas prices have taken the fun out of driving ... or not?!

Are you people driving jet engines?! All high-octane fuel does is prevent detonation in high-compression engines. It's not necessary for the vast majority of engines available to the general public.

nope, it burns crisper and better and therefore requires less fuel to get an appropriate burn and is thus better on fuel.

Saw a road test on it recently, they used 91, 95 and 98. 91 was the first one out by a long way then 98 and 95 lasted the longest by a bit over the 98.

You need to run higher octane fuel in older cars now that leaded fuel is phased to stop detonation, newer cars don't require it though but they do run better.

That flies in the face in every article I've ever read about octane so I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. If anything, higher octane fuel returns WORSE mileage.
Leaded fuel? That got phased out before you were born. Here in the States anyway.

That flies in the face in every article I've ever read about octane so I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. If anything, higher octane fuel returns WORSE mileage.
Leaded fuel? That got phased out before you were born. Here in the States anyway.

Burns better = more energy effective, dunno how that would translate to cost effective though - our gas prices are still close to twice yours I think.
Also higher octane fuels provide better lubrication (if that's the proper word) to the engine, meaning you get more miles in total before the heap dies on you. Easily countered by a higher motor oil use though.

This above text is a collection os facts I just thought of, should be true but I have no sources or whatever except for my excellent brain.

Leaded vehicles were phased out years ago but we still had the fuel up until like 5 years back here. You need to run higher octane on older vehicles for many reasons or they ping and you can case fuckloads of damage.

Many late model cars have engine management systems fitted with knock sensors that allow the engine to perform better and return better fuel consumption when run on higher octane fuels.

I also know from personal experience and testing that premium runs better and is more fuel efficient, I have a fuel consumption readout in my dash and when i first got the car I put normal unleaded in it and then put a tank of premium in afterwords and the consumption was better on premium.

So Dorian, go run your car on some shit 50 octane fuel or something and tell me how well it goes....

There's a middle ground here.

Octane does not affect gas mileage directly. There is a minimum required to run properly on certains cars , like what you say, older ones needing higher, etc, but for example jumping up to premium when your engine isn't knocking on regular will make no noticeable difference and will only cost you more.

Once again, the sole purpose of high octane is to prevent detonation on high-compression engines. That's it. There's no fuel economy advantage to it - if anything you're going to have worse mileage because an engine requiring high-octane gas has more compression and high compression yields more horsepower.
I know everything!

Yea, not that I have even 1/10 of the knowledge of cars as alot of you guys, but I have also heard higher octane fuels increase fuel efficiency slightly. And not just heard as in "some guy told my friend who heard it from his brother who saved 3 cents on the gallon" heard. But who knows. One thing is for sure, I doubt something other than a substantial increase in fuel economy could even begin to persuade me to switch to premium gas.

Unless a higher RON petrol comes with hard evidence that it has other properties that will increase power or fuel economy then you're better off sticking to the recommended RON. The only time I would be tempted to splash out on a slightly higher than recommended RON petrol would be for a track day when the car is being driven at full throttle.
fatality.png