OT: KISS/NO Make-Up Years...

Hell, I didnt listen to them in the 80's when they didnt do the make-up. That "Unmasked" album was a true piece of shit. Love all the shit prior to that though and they did make a few good albums later on....Unholy was good, as were a few others.

Hell yeah I did! I'm listening to Hot In The Shade right now, because I saw this topic at work today (can't post there, well, I could, but I won't) and I had "Love Is Like A Slap In The Face" stuck in my head.

When I first stumbled upon KISS (keep in mind I was born in '77) they were just about to take off the make-up anyway. I remember seeing them on Solid Gold, which would've been about 1981, and of course CBS was rerunning KISS Meets The Phantom of the Park around then, and my dad (who has the best LP and 8-tracj collection of the 60's - 80's) had ALIVE!, so there was my familiarity. I saw these guys, and I flipped. I loved rock, I loved comics, and I like explosives - it all fit. But keep in mind, this was in the early 80's.

The first KISS album I remember getting while it was "new" was Asylum , and for the record, I love "UH! All Night," and "Tears Are Falling." My first tour Crazy Nights (which is how I discovered Anthrax, sort of, I paid more attention to them when I heard they would be replacing Ted Nugent on that tour about a month after my show). So 80's KISS was a genuine part of my existence. Gene and Paul were constantly on TV and in magazines, promoting the drug free life style and having lots of sex, so they became my role models! In all seriousness, Gene and Paul are very classy guys, they may be the best role models in rock when it comes to following your dreams and staying healthy.

Does 80's KISS compare with the original. Hell no! Was it that bad? No, it was fun arena rock the same way Cheap Trick, the Ramones, Aerosmith, and AC/DC were doing it. KISS did have some of that glam look from 85-88, and they did hire Ron Nevison to produce, and Micheal Bolton to write, but big fucking deal. Listen to any Poison album or Bon Jovi album, then listen to an 80's KISS album - you can't honestly tell me that BJ or Poison are or were better. One thing about 80's KISS, the songs weren't as good as the 70's, and the chemistry wasn't there, but they had better chops. Paul Stanley continued to grow as a song writer and vocalist, and Bruce Kulick was a solid lead guitar player. Throw in the rhythm section of Simmons and Carr, and you had a helluva band.

I was one of the few who was initially worried about the reunion. I thought Revenge was a great album, I thought the KISS Convention tour and Unplugged album were stellar, and I thought KISS were ready to age gracefully on their own terms like Aero or AC/DC. I thought that Peter and Ace were so far gone it would never work ( I had just seen them in the clubs, and they were waxed, I mean waxed.) I thought it would be contrived, and that it would be fake. I got tix to the Dayton show, about one week after Detroit, and I WAS BLOWN AWAY. It was no joke. That was how it was meant to be. I'm still going to shows now :)

I'm very much into '70s KISS up to Double Platinum. But the first 2 times I saw them was w/o makeup. Saw them on Animalize with Queensryche(ryche was better). Saw another tour no makeup(17th row), Anthrax opened up(ATL Phase III) Frank ruled that night, great show KISS opened with Love Gun not Detroit Rock City. Then I saw Psycho Circus with Ace and Peter and Ted Nugent and Skid Row - dream come true. :tickled:

Just an addendum: I picked up the KISS Symphony DVD. Killer, they shouldn't have put this out as "Alive 4" because ultimately it won't hold up to the legacy, rather, they should have just put this DVD out. It's great to watch the whole process from start to finish. Sadly though, it seems forced when compared to the spontaneity of Unplugged (although Unplugged was just as planned and contrived too, don't let 'em fool ya), it's like ever since Revenge tanked P&G have been pulling cards out of their sleeves, but at this point you have to wonder what's left in the tank. I'd like to think they'd do a round of club shows (and a new album if they want) - they can still can make their $$$$$$$$$, because with each club being small and a gauranteed sell out, they can sell tix for 500 - 1000 bones a pop. Then get the space man back, play Shea, and give it a real farewell.

The bad years, "unmasked and dynasty" - we call it KISSCO - (kiss + disco), get no play in my home. But I own a copy of most everything they put out, including Symphony.

Cincy Vigilante said:
Revenge tanked? I thought that album was one of the best they put out in years. I thought is sold decent as well, but Ty is the KISS man. So he knows.
Actually, it went top ten and gold, so to say it tanked is pushing it. But, KISS were hedging all of their bets on it being the "hit" that would bring them back to the forefront. All of KISS' albums were going platinum and stalling, and ticket sales were averaging around 7,000. KISS wanted a multiplatinum album and a bona fide sold out tour. They got neither. In fact, the tour and album underperformed even some of their worst 80's outings.
After the Revenge comeback didn't work to G&P's ultimate liking, things started to slowly work their way to a reunion. If Revenge had of been "huge" you can bet, they would have followed it up with another album and tour. Instead:
Alive III: easy $$$$$$$$, some 80's hits, some 70's hits, some Revenge tunes
X-Treme Close Up: lots and lots of maek-up footage on video
Konfidential: ALive III the video basically, with more 70's footage
KISS My Ass: tribute album, with a handwritten "apology" to Ace and Peter in the tray
KISS my Ass the video: a collection of old clips with P&G making Eric and Bruce talk about how great Ace and Peter were (pretty funny actually)
KISS Conventions: this was actually cool, they played fans requests acoustically.
KISS Unplugged: Ace and Peter are back
and then the Reunion tour.
It's all cool, but I'm just saying, Revenge was basically the end of KISS doing anything "NEW" It was all cashing in on the 70's from then on. I really liked Revenge and thought it was a shame the tour ended so quickly, and 1992 was basically the last tour Bruce and Eric ever got a chance to do.

Another thing and I'm done, at least until someone asks me another question. I find it funny when people talk about how KISS were at a "low point" in the 80's. Album says weren't as big as they were in the 70's. Ticket sales were down compared to what they would be in the 90's (the stats will show that KISS were bigger in 1996-98 than they even were in the 70s!!!! aside from a handful of stadium shows and 3 night stands at MSG and the Forum, KISS played places that held 10 - 12,000 eeevery night in the 70's, the arenas are just bigger and more bling blinging now!)
But anyway, KISS still averaged 8,000 or so fans a tour in the 80's. They still headlined MSG and the LA Forum and Cobo Hall. They had 3 gold albums, 4 platinums, and 2 double platinums. A platinum home video. A gold home video. A top ten radio hit, and several "dial Mtv" #1's. My point is, KISS' darkest hour, was bigger than most bands best hour. Most bands would kill to have the success that non-makeup KISS had. Thanks and peace out.

I gotta admit that I am a life long KISS fan, only missed four shows in Detroit since '76, but I took them for what they were, great musical entertainment. They were big beyond their dreams even, I'll bet. And, IMHO, unfortunately I think the time has passed. I love them and always will, but the product is slipping. The last good music they put out was Revenge and Unplugged(another good show).

Ya know, it's funny, some of my favorite 'Thrax songs are the KISS covers...they just play 'em so damn loud and powerful!

i can honestly say that revenge is the only kiss album i have heard from start to finish,it was a great rock album

hey td what did u think of the aussie girlies on the dvd?

Revenge was similar to Chemical Wedding by Bruce Dickinson in it was my favorite album by each respective band before they went back to the bigger payday. Not that I wasn't happy to see kiss reunite or Bruce back with Maiden but I just thought they found the right direction with what they were doing then changed gears to go back to the earlier incarnations.

Cincy Vigilante said:
Revenge was similar to Chemical Wedding by Bruce Dickinson in it was my favorite album by each respective band before they went back to the bigger payday. Not that I wasn't happy to see kiss reunite or Bruce back with Maiden but I just thought they found the right direction with what they were doing then changed gears to go back to the earlier incarnations.
Exactly. Revenge may have been about a year too late though. However, with Eric Carr's untimely passing, this was unavoidable. KISS suffered the same fate as some of "hair" bands in terms of MTV and radio ignoring them by late 1992. If Revenge had been released in the summer of 1991, when the single "God Gave Rock N Roll To You II" was, KISS would have been only one year removed from their most successful non-makeup tour (the Hot In the Shade tour was a phenomenal success, I'm quite sure having WInger and Slaoughter helped, as did "Forever" being a Top Ten single) and KISS could have toured throughout 1991 and 1992 for Revenge. Also, since KISS were only a tour or two removed from the "glam" look, I think that some people thought of Revenge as being contrived. It's shame really, because Gene and Paul both wrote some killer songs for that album. They even brought Vinnie Vincent into write some songs to make it even heavier, and of course, Bob Ezrin produced it so the sound was incredible. Revenge should have been a killer era in KISStory, but instead it was the beginning of the end of KISS going forward. At least non-makeup KISS went out with a bang.