OT: Nightwish

nlukes

Apr 21, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Any Nightwish fans on here? Wanda?

I saw them last Sunday. WOW!!!.. The audience from the kids to the HM guys to beautiful looks model women, were in bliss. The music satisfies so many different sonic template tastes. While I miss the opera singing of Tarja, the new singer is great in her own way. Best keyboardist in a metal band that I have ever heard.

Only heard Over the Hills and Far Away but that kicks some serious ass.

Nemo is the their biggest hit I think. I really like that song, especially the solo.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKf1gTx7qM[/ame]

And just for comparison, here's a clip of the new singer Anette singing it.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fx1AVypdPUc[/ame]

I love Nightwish and have done for about 2 years or so now.

I was devastated when they fired the singer and said it would be the end of the band. However, I like the new album, and I also take my hat of to Tarja for getting on with her own career.

The keyboardist is cute!! :lol:

I only like a couple of the songs with Tarja but I heard the new single with the new singer the other day and thought it was fantastic!!! I might buy the cd yet!

The song "The Poet and the Pendulum" from the new cd is worth the cost of the cd in itself IMO. A masterpiece!

I'd figure Steph would love this band, given the heavy use of orchestral accompanyment. And yes, "The Poet and the Pendulum" from the new album is incredible. It's more Wagnerian opera than metal.

I had figured they were screwed when they bounced Tarja. For the unfamiliar, their previous singer Tarja was pretty much the face of the band. Not for her looks, quite frankly, they did nothing for me. But she had an unbelievable, operatic voice that would have worked as well at La Scala as it would in Nightwish.

But her husband apparently polluted her head and she copped an attitude that would put Diana Ross to shame, such that the band was forced to fire her. To add insult to insult, the termination letter was posted on the net. Ouch.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Open_Letter_To_Tarja_Turunen

Clearly they were hurt. Read the lyrics to "Bye Bye Beautiful" and "Master Passion greed" on the new album, which the new girl doesn't sing because she has no dog in this fight. Some serious FUs in those songs.

But what band has thrived after the loss of an iconic singer? Priest? Sabbath? MAIDEN? still, the managed to defy it, partly because Tarja was a hindrance on the band. She didn't want to tour at all, certainly not the 8 months a US tour would require. This is their first American tour and Toumas, the band's genius, said he's got the band on the road until 2009, something he could never do with Tarja.

That open letter probably helped, too, making fans realize just how unreasonable Tarja had become. It will be interesting to see how her solo album does.

I didn't discover them until I stumbled across a video for 'Amanrath' and loved it. I downloaded some MP3s from Undernet IRC and was floored. This band is fantastic and Toumas is an unbelievable songwriter/composer.
I think the "Once" album is their best. Some incredible tracks there: 'Dark Chest of Wonders,' 'Wish I Had an Angel,' 'Planet Hell' and 'Creek Mary's Blood,' which features an American Indian singer. The middle part, when the orchestra kicks in, is just amazing.

I'm glad to have found such an amazing discovery, especially in light of the HUGE disappointment in Soilwork's newest. What a monumental letdown that was.

Only heard Over the Hills and Far Away but that kicks some serious ass.

Check out the original by Gary Moore. Gary is one of my favorite geetar players and the CDs Wild Frontier and After the War get lots of rotation. Very expressive player and vocalist. Blood of Emeralds on After the War is one of my favorite songs period.

The extended version of this song on Wild Frontier smokes this rendition.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-gc2B2IKik"]Live....[/ame]

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Tuomos is the composer behind Nightwish, they will do fine without Tarja and her huge ego. Too bad that her husband has brainwashed her or so it seems.

Being that I am well beyond 25 years old, I just laugh at the absurdness of so many metal bands and their posturing etc. However, I think I could love Nightwish's music til I am 80 !

Another big thumbs up over here. I'm a bit of a sucker for drummers that are not afraid to use the crap out of the floor toms. Kinda like the big sound from the symphonic timpani. :headbang::headbang:

Quite the soap opera with Tarja and her departure but Tuomas is the creative force of the band and they should be much bigger. If she was holding them back, then good riddance.

Poet is quite the epic kinda metal meets Broadway. Other highlights are Last of the Wilds, For the Heart I Once Had, perhaps my favorite track. :headbang:

IMHO check out Amaranth and if you like it, you will dig the CD. If not, you will hate it. Annette is a soprano so her voice is always in the range of Amaranth.

I'll be sure to try and catch them when they swing through San Diego in May.

Amaranth video....

Eva much more mellow but check out Annette's vocals...

Amaranth misheard lyrics. "Jesus snow white Zorro", "Hiding M&M's in a lamb"...:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Nightwish fans on here? Wanda?

I saw them last Sunday. WOW!!!.. The audience from the kids to the HM guys to beautiful looks model women, were in bliss. The music satisfies so many different sonic template tastes. While I miss the opera singing of Tarja, the new singer is great in her own way. Best keyboardist in a metal band that I have ever heard.
I saw them when they came to San Antonio and the new singer didn't impress me that much. She sang a couple of Tarja's songs pretty good. My favorite songs of Tarja's like I wish i had an Angel or Dark Chest of Wonders she messed up alot on the singing. She only sang her own songs from the new album really good.

I'm officially hooked on this band. The mix of heavy metal and Anette Olzon's sweet vocals makes one think ABBA crossed paths with Metallica.

Definitely getting Dark Passion Play next week.

Saw them Friday at the HOB in San Diego. Killer show by what is now a cohesive unit of a band. All of them were very gracious and thankful to the sold out audience and at the end all of them came up to the front of the stage shaking hands with the fans.

Given the conditions under which Tarja was sent packing I support Tuomas and the rest of the bands decision. She said she would only do one more album with them and then leave. They decided to start rebuilding right away and sent her off.. I can respect that. Annette is a great, albeit very different, singer. There are moments her voice has a resemblance to Agnetha Faltskog so the ABBA reference is one I thought of as well.

She did great on the Dark Passion Play material and did well enough on the Tarja material. I thought she killed on Dark Chest of Wonders and Nemo but The Siren wasn't as strong as the other old material. She did a fantastic job also on Higher than Hope which Tuomas wrote for his friend, a local young man who died of cancer. His family was in the wings during the whole show.

Seems many NW fans were in an uproar when Tarja was fired but given that Tuomas is the founder and principal songwriter it was his call. He didn't want to go make a new album with a “lame duck” vocalist.

At least down here the crowd was just as excited over the new material as the old. I think their future with Annette is secure.

Jim

Saw them Friday at the HOB in San Diego. Killer show by what is now a cohesive unit of a band. All of them were very gracious and thankful to the sold out audience and at the end all of them came up to the front of the stage shaking hands with the fans.

At least down here the crowd was just as excited over the new material as the old. I think their future with Annette is secure.

Jim

Yes, I noticed and like that decency in the manner with the band too.

The shocker about Nightwish tho is how low their ticket prices were when they played Minneapolis. They are about the most famous of the new metal bands in Europe at this time and tickets were..............$18 !!!!... What??.. I was in shock. I was expecting to pay at least $50 ?

Yes, I noticed and like that decency in the manner with the band too.

The shocker about Nightwish tho is how low their ticket prices were when they played Minneapolis. They are about the most famous of the new metal bands in Europe at this time and tickets were..............$18 !!!!... What??.. I was in shock. I was expecting to pay at least $50 ?

$25 here in San Diego. Very low for a show out here and the show was worth twice the price.

Several vids from Denver posted in the unofficial NW forum on UM.

Jim

I saw them at HOB in San Diego as well. We were both disappointed with the show to be honest. I honestly didn't think Anette pulled it off. She couldn't hit the range needed for the older songs, and just doesn't have Tarja's power. Notice how Marco sings much more now, and I think that's the only way to recover some of that. Seemed like the set list was even set up for this. I'm not a Tarja fanboy by any stretch, but they need someone closer to her talents IMHO.

Got my tickets for the Nightwish show at the Showbox SoDo in Seattle on Sept. 9. I have one extra ticket. If anyone in the Seattle/Kitsap County area wants to watch the show with me, send me a PM. Thanks.

The more I listen to this album, the more I want to strangle someone at Century for overcompressing the ever-loving shee-at out of it. Look at these travesties (wish I could thumbnail them)

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/1923/amanrathxc7.jpg (Amanrath)

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8695/darkchestyi4.jpg (Dark Chest of Wonders)

What a mess. I've been trying to restore them to listenabaility in Cool Edit Pro but it's like trying to take paint off a canvas after it's dried. This needed to be done at mastering, and Century made a fracking mess out of it.

I suppose it could be worse. The Testament album is a bloody disgrace. :mad::mad::mad::mad: