OT: Nightwish

Just like every band, Nightwish had to face some tough times this month. On Nov, 10, during their show in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, Anette walked out of the stage towards the end of "The Poet and the Pendulum." The band finished the song with Marco on vocals before doing two cover songs and ending the show. Anette's official statement says that the excessive smoke on stage had an adverse effect on her vocal chords. Marco, on the other hand, explained that Anette is going through some "intense shit," whatever that means.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3E4M9cNN-Q]Anette Walks Off Stage[/ame]

[ame=http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=c7DQpZ2ug58]Anette Walks Off Stage[/ame]

Marco, on the other hand, explained that Anette is going through some "intense shit," whatever that means.

It means she has to endure the same shit Blayze, Tim Owens and John Corabi had to go through: fans of the original singer won't accept the replacement. Despite Tuomas's explainations of why Tarja had to go (and I agree with him), fans just won't accept her.

It means she has to endure the same shit Blaze, Tim Owens and John Corabi had to go through: fans of the original singer won't accept the replacement. Despite Tuomas's explanations of why Tarja had to go (and I agree with him), fans just won't accept her.

Yeah, I read that the fans in Belo Horizonte were pretty vicious, but for crying out loud - it's been over a year. Regardless of which, it was only a temporary setback, as the band finished the rest of their South American tour without a hitch. More info can be found on the unofficial Nightwish forum (which also happens to be our sister forum here at Ultimate Metal):

Anette's Statement Regarding BH Show

Strange, but Nightwish is one of the few bands that would still be excellent without a singer because of the symphonic orchestration. I love the band no matter who is singing, Tarja or Anette. Cool that it sounds like Anette wants to continue and hopefully won't be quitting the band or anything.

I've read that the reason for Anette's meltdown was actually because of personal problems. Specifically, she's getting a divorce (apparently, joining Nightwish was the end of her marriage) and she has a young son (his name is tattooed on her forearm).

Well, apparently she may lose custody of the kid due to her excessive touring. Nightwish has toured insanely for almost 2 years now and won't be done until summer. Needless to say, this would cause anyone to melt down. On top of that you got an audience of pricks yelling for the old singer.

Yeah, that would cause someone to melt down.

I've read that the reason for Anette's meltdown was actually because of personal problems. Specifically, she's getting a divorce (apparently, joining Nightwish was the end of her marriage) and she has a young son (his name is tattooed on her forearm).

Well, apparently she may lose custody of the kid due to her excessive touring. Nightwish has toured insanely for almost 2 years now and won't be done until summer. Needless to say, this would cause anyone to melt down. On top of that you got an audience of pricks yelling for the old singer.

Yeah, that would cause someone to melt down.

I read about the divorce months ago, but I never thought the situation was that bad. I only wish for something good to come out of all this.

My mom just came back from Hong Kong and she got me the new Nightwish CD/DVD Made in Hong Kong (and in Various Other Places). The live CD sounds pretty good. Not as crisp as End of an Era and it's pretty short for a live album (as it only covers the Dark Passion Play songs), but it's still awesome. Not much can be said about the bonus tracks, as many of us have already heard them, but the demo version of "Cadence of Her Last Breath" is a surprise. Marco should sing this live one of these days.

As for the DVD, the documentary is rather short. The film was intentionally made to look grainy. You get mostly commentary from Tuomas (in Finnish with English subtitles) and Anette (in English with Finnish subtitles), while the rest of the band spends most of the film playing Uno and chugging Jägers. This documentary is very recent, too, as YouTube clips of Anette walking out of the Belo Horizonte show appear before she explains what happened (it was an annoying smoke machine that interfered with her breathing). Throughout the documentary, you get to know how the band interacts with each other through a grueling 40-country world tour.

Also included in the DVD are the three music videos for Dark Passion Play.

Overall, it's a great addition for any Nightwish fan. Non-fans will want to pick up the other albums first, though.

I'm just now discovering Nightwisha nd kicking myself for not dicoveringthem years gao.I think they're FANTASTIC! Tarja is playing a solo show here in SF next week.We're probably going to interview her.I just hope I don't have to put up with a bunch of diva bullshit!:rolleyes:

I'm just now discovering Nightwisha nd kicking myself for not dicoveringthem years gao.I think they're FANTASTIC! Tarja is playing a solo show here in SF next week.We're probably going to interview her.I just hope I don't have to put up with a bunch of diva bullshit!:rolleyes:

Great to hear you've discovered Nightwish. Wow - I'm surprised Tarja is actually touring the U.S. (according to the band's open letter, one of the reasons they fired her was that she didn't want to tour the U.S.). Best of luck on interviewing her. Just don't ask a lot of metal-related questions, as she apparently hates heavy metal (which makes you wonder why she was in Nightwish in the first place).

I've heard tidbits of Tarja's solo album. It's not bad, but nothing of the same caliber as her days with Nightwish. Not a fan of her version of "Poison", and her cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (performed live at some fashion show in Finland) is no better.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC8oVKsFgnQ]Tarja - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"[/ame]

Here's one of the better songs off the album:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7F-YYSoiK4]Tarja - "Die Alive"[/ame]

Well of course it's second rate. She was not a contributor to Nightwish in any way. She showed up and sang her parts. Tuomas did everything.

I just find it funny that she refused to tour the US, which got her booted from Nightwish, and now she's touring the US in much smaller venues than Nightwish played.

she's playingthe Grand Ballroom out here which is a very good sized venue. It holds about 3-5000 people. I'd assume Nightwish plays the same size places when they tour the states. since she didn't contribute anythingto the band but sing i wonder how she can cut it as a solo "artist". I use the term "Artist: loosley for people who don't write their own songs.She probably hires song writers like most divas.

she's playing the Grand Ballroom out here which is a very good sized venue. It holds about 3-5000 people. I'd assume Nightwish plays the same size places when they tour the states. since she didn't contribute anything to the band but sing i wonder how she can cut it as a solo "artist". I use the term "Artist: loosely for people who don't write their own songs. She probably hires song writers like most divas.

Though the crowd size varies by venue, both Nightwish and Tarja more or less perform in front of the same numbers in the U.S. Still, this is another example of Tarja eating crow.

Tarja's solo album My Winter Storm reached Platinum status in Finland and Russia, as well as Gold status in Switzerland and Hungary, but otherwise, it's been trounced by Dark Passion Play in worldwide sales. And while it's a given that she hired songwriters, half of the album was co-written by herself.

This is entertaining.

Nightwish live, performing "Wishmaster" (the only song where the guitarist really gets to shine). Listen to those riffs in the final seconds of the song. Sound familiar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a side project Anette did with the industrial rock band Pain. It sounds more ABBA than her works with Nightwish.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRbv4O65vBo]Pain - "Follow Me"[/ame]