OT: Star Wars Question

It's also possible that he uses the Force to compensate for some sort of minor injury or frailty that he has at ordinary times.

But I think the above theory probably has the most to do with it.

As people said, appearances can be deceiving. And he IS really old... he probably just saves his strength and flips himself all over the place with the force when he gets in a fight.

If THAT'S what you found unrealistic about a movie series depicting space battle, light speed travel, artificially intelligent droids, etc...

There's nothing unrealistic about space battle, light speed travel, or artificially intelligent droids!

well its actually a mix of what people have said, looks can be decieving yes! But he is very old & somewhat weak. The force when he uses it makes him momentarly stronger... Anyone who plays the games or reads the books will see many Dark side figures being held together by the force... For example KOTOR2... That guy blew up, but is being held together by the force.. Same thing for yoda in the sence of why he can do ninja stuff!

HeroBoy said:
There's nothing unrealistic about space battle, light speed travel, or artificially intelligent droids!

Actually, I believe that the space battles are very unrealistic. Planes that fly through Earth's atmosphere rely on the force of wind to generate lift. Since space is a vacuum, wings are useless. Space ships rely solely on sudden bursts of force by, let say, a combustion engine. The ship then relies on kinetic energy to continue moving until it encounters a retarding force. Yes, those ships require wings since they all eventually fly through some planet's atmosphere. But hearing someone say "lock wings in S-foil position" in space is a bit weird.

I never understood why the droids were given the feeling of pain. Like when R2-D2 zapped that Super Battle Droid's hand in Greivous's ship. Also the battle droids knew of fear. Adding fear and pain to droids defeats the purpose...well our idea on what droids are meant for anyways.

One of my biggest issues with Star Wars is the reliance on ground combat. You would think such an advanced galaxy could have a more interesting form of warfare.

There are other little things that bug me about Star Wars, but I still consider it as one of my favorite movies. The many concepts intertwined with each other makes for one amazing story. It also raises some questions that I find very interesting. Can democracy effectively rule an entire galaxy? Is a totalitarian regime, whether just or not, the only way to peacefully rule the galaxy? When humanity discovers intelligent aliens will they be able to develop a cooperative system like those humans in Star Wars? And on a more philosophical level; what is man's significance as an individual in an ever increasing galaxy?

And to answer dargormudshark question...Yoda only can move like that when he is using the force. The same goes for Palpatine, as well as Vader in the later episodes.

And by the way, Episode III is amazing. It come second to Empire Strikes Back on my list.

I've seen it and it was pretty crap, but back to the question.

I asked the yoda question after episode 2.. i think he just keeps his light saber up his ass and whips it out to duel...

Where else could he keep it?

Soundgarden--I think you'd probably prefer the more realistic maneuvering seen on the remake of Battlestar Galactica, as far as the space battles are concerned. The ships on there (at least, the human ones) actually seem to follow the laws of physics when it comes to things like how they brake, reverse course, and so on. I think they do have wings for flying in-atmosphere, but in space they actually seem to behave right.

Rose Immortal said:
Soundgarden--I think you'd probably prefer the more realistic maneuvering seen on the remake of Battlestar Galactica, as far as the space battles are concerned. The ships on there (at least, the human ones) actually seem to follow the laws of physics when it comes to things like how they brake, reverse course, and so on. I think they do have wings for flying in-atmosphere, but in space they actually seem to behave right.

Is that the show on Sci-Fi? The only show I use to watch on Sci-Fi is Stargate SG1. I liked that show but I couldn't watch it because the new episodes were on friday evenings and I was usually doing something that night.

Rose Immortal said:

The only instance in which I have seen almost realistic behaviour of spacefighters is Babylon 5. Rumor has it that some people at NASA were so impressed with the Star Fury's design that they asked creator Michael Straczinsky (sp?) if they could use that design for an ISS cargo or repair vehicle. He is said to have aggreed on the condition that the craft be named Star Fury as well.

During the first season, Battlestar Galactica was on SciFi after Stargate Atlantis and before Stargate SG-1.

I think this is when a DVR comes in handy... ;)

soundgarden said:
Actually, I believe that the space battles are very unrealistic. Planes that fly through Earth's atmosphere rely on the force of wind to generate lift. Since space is a vacuum, wings are useless. Space ships rely solely on sudden bursts of force by, let say, a combustion engine. The ship then relies on kinetic energy to continue moving until it encounters a retarding force. Yes, those ships require wings since they all eventually fly through some planet's atmosphere. But hearing someone say "lock wings in S-foil position" in space is a bit weird.

I never understood why the droids were given the feeling of pain. Like when R2-D2 zapped that Super Battle Droid's hand in Greivous's ship. Also the battle droids knew of fear. Adding fear and pain to droids defeats the purpose...well our idea on what droids are meant for anyways.

One of my biggest issues with Star Wars is the reliance on ground combat. You would think such an advanced galaxy could have a more interesting form of warfare.

There are other little things that bug me about Star Wars, but I still consider it as one of my favorite movies. The many concepts intertwined with each other makes for one amazing story. It also raises some questions that I find very interesting. Can democracy effectively rule an entire galaxy? Is a totalitarian regime, whether just or not, the only way to peacefully rule the galaxy? When humanity discovers intelligent aliens will they be able to develop a cooperative system like those humans in Star Wars? And on a more philosophical level; what is man's significance as an individual in an ever increasing galaxy?

And to answer dargormudshark question...Yoda only can move like that when he is using the force. The same goes for Palpatine, as well as Vader in the later episodes.

And by the way, Episode III is amazing. It come second to Empire Strikes Back on my list.

Another thing that ive thought about is all the sounds you hear in space, ie explosions, engines and what not. Without any air or other medium it would be no sounds. But of course, how fun would it be if there were total silence during the space episodes?

acording the ground fights, that is really something that is significant for starwars, the mixture of old and new. you know, they ride big anymals even though the can make howercrafts. they fight with swords. the begining pretty much says it all: "...a long time ago...", its not in the future.

about the philosophical aproach, i think the whole force thing and jedi art is damn beautiful. mind over matter! (sadly, you have to be unearthly gifted with midichlorians to have any contact with the force ;) )

About SW: 3-

IMO The part where Darth Vader gets his legs chopped off and burned is better than the last two movies COMBINED. Sorry, Jar Jar, you just got schooled by Anakin.

Gildamere said:
The only instance in which I have seen almost realistic behaviour of spacefighters is Babylon 5. Rumor has it that some people at NASA were so impressed with the Star Fury's design that they asked creator Michael Straczinsky (sp?) if they could use that design for an ISS cargo or repair vehicle. He is said to have aggreed on the condition that the craft be named Star Fury as well.
that was a great show for the first few seasons