Star Wars on DVD

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Heres the press release:

All of the unforgettable heroism, villainy and epic adventure of George Lucas's STAR WARS trilogy comes to the ultimate home-entertainment format for the very first time around the world this September from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, ending the wait for the most-anticipated DVD release ever. The four-disc collection will be released on Sept. 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.

"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the STAR WARS TRILOGY on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

The STAR WARS TRILOGY tops the list of "cinephiles' most-requested titles never released on the format," according to a May 2003 E! Online report. Further, the three STAR WARS TRILOGY films -- "Star Wars: A New Hope," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" -- also hold the top three spots on Amazon.com's "most-requested DVDs" list.

"Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope," "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" and "Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the STAR WARS TRILOGY has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time." The films of the STAR WARS TRILOGY will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

If they are the special editions only I am going to smash Lucasfilm into the ground with my bare hands.

Instead, the DVDs will include the much-debated versions director Lucas released in the '90s with new digital effects and plot twists that softened the character of Han Solo - even though DVD makes it easy to offer both the original and director's cut of a movie.

It's simply a matter of an artist's right, says Jim Ward, a Lucasfilm vice president and the executive producer of the set.

"We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one." The original "Star Wars" from 1977 is the second-highest-grossing movie of all time in the U.S. (behind "Titanic"), and all three "Star Wars" movies in the trilogy still rank in the Top 20.

George Lucas is a FUCKING MORON :mad: Ill democrasize that bastard right upside the head. He is old and senile and has completely LOST IT.

Oh darn, my sources were wrong.

Have you seen whats in the new one, when they remove vaders helmet, it's a digital imposed, older version of the guy who plays Anakin.

HA, gay.

George shouldnt be allowed to have anything to do with Star Wars anymore. The only good attribute to Attack Of The Clones is that Episode 3 cant possibly be any worse than it. George has no idea anymore, its like he is so happy to have computer effects he needs to not only fill new movies with them but also go back and screw up the old ones as well. Greedo fired first my ass.

Joe Salami said:
My greatest fear, spawny, is that it COULD be worse that AOTC...
I just dont understand how that could be possible, so im optimistic :)

The stuff about making vader in the old films look like an older hayden christianfag was all just rumours of what COULD be in the next release of the original films.

Im in total agreeance that the edits he made in the 90's or whenever it was should be scrapped and the original films released. Fuck what he says with "This is how I wanted to make the films back then"...You made the films back then, dickhead. And they were stand out awesome films, with very good effects for their time, which stand the test of time, regardless of whether or not you can sometimes see boxes around the tie fighters, or the explosions dont look as immense as they could look.

The fact that the vast majority of the fans want to see the original trilogy released on DVD rather than his reworked versions, yet he is basically raping them sideways by not releasing them just goes to show that his motives are 100% selfish and not fan geared at all.

Because Georgie knows that 99% of the fans who bitch will still buy the DVD's when they come out regardless of the version. And then they will also buy the box set of all of the 6 films when it comes out...plus all of the reissues and special editions that get done. Its a huge money machine, that has lost any resemblance to a respectful film making venture. The new movies are pale shadows of pissweak CG non talented acting tripe. I hope Georgie sits there and watches the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and crys into his little beard at a bunch of films that were released within the time he managed to squeeze out 1 turd of a film, that have a larger scale, talented performances, immesurably superior CG and are raking in awards left right and centre.

I dread the day that A New Hope is re released on super special DVD editions where Han Solo and Gredo shake hands and walk away, and all of the Storm Troopers blasters are super imposed with Walkie Talkies.

This is from a post I put up at talkmovies.net whilst talking about Return Of The King

As for George Lucas, his arse has been handed to him by Peter Jackson, and he knows it. Check out this quote from Empire mag talking to Sean Astin:

"I met George Lucas at the MTV awards," he recalls. "I was really nervous, he's such a hero, and he was like, 'Yeah, hi' and turned away. I'm like, 'Hey, I'm Sean Astin, you know, Sam...' 'Oh,' he said, 'all you Hobbits look the same to me.""
Astin pulls a lemon face, and then wheeling away from the anecdotal director, coughs into his fist, "Yeah, and Jar Jar sucked, man."

:lol:

Now there is rumours of a third trilogy, I think Lucas is actually intimidated by LOTR and wants his crown back.

The space battle at the end of Return Of The Jedi still hasnt been bettered, it still holds up to todays best CGI, only the first film suffers from date special effects, the next 2 still look great today for the most part. Then George goes and sticks OBVIOUS computer generated edits into them, thus completely destroying the suspension of disbelief. They stick out like a sore thumb, its a joke. Especially the Jabba scene and that ridiculous dancing muppet shit in ROTJ.

Ill buy the dvds because im interested in the extras and the unseen footage, and im sure in a years time he will release them as they originally were after being bombarded with insults over how stupid he is :)

Alas the Lithgow StarWars Bar is gone (but not forgotten).

It wasn't named that at all, nor anything to do with StarWars, but when you walked in, you thought that you were in the StarWars bar with all the funny heads, voices, and crawling creatures.

It's gone semi-decent, and has a good chef now.