OT: Vocal Effects

astream

Burning headbanger
Jul 24, 2009
Hi guys,

just wanna ask if anyone has some idea about vocal effects for live use. No computer stuff. Just rock n roll. Been playing guitar for many years and have been fooling around with distortion pedals, waah-waahs, effect stuff (mainly my ZOOM pedal).

Am singing in a band now ("progressive rock") and would like to explore the world of vocal effects. Basically it would be cool to have an equivalent like my old ZOOM, but for vocals this time.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/gfx8/gfx8body.gif

Has anyone of you had any experience from this? Very happy for all help!

Well what effects do you need, surely just some reverb? Unless you want to do a cover of King Diamond, then you'll need a pitch shifter

Well what effects do you need, surely just some reverb? Unless you want to do a cover of King Diamond, then you'll need a pitch shifter

Yes, I think reverb would be needed. Am a newbie but think this should definitely be useful. =)

Hehe have heard very little from King Diamond, that is the Mercyful Fate singer i believe. Has quite a range! =)

Best of luck!
Let me know how it goes, and if you manage to get a hold of it I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on it.

As others shave mentioned, reverb but also a delay for certain parts, maybe a touch of chorus. Your monitor or front of house guy should have effects like that on hand, but he would have to know your songs really well.

^^^^^
What Stompy said.
I've seen people who have tried to use some sort of bypass for vocals and it tends to sound terrible and can be a nightmare to deal with on the end of the performer and the house sound. Probably better to have your own sound person.

Thanks a lot for all your thoughts on this!

Really cool to hear what you think. As I have no idea about reverb, delay, bypass I guess I will have to know about it before our first show. So far we've only played once for a couple of friends in the rehearsal space. I brought a beer crate (German "Kölsch") and we had good fun. Maybe mainly thanks to the beer, but still a good time.

I am still the highest bidder on eBay. It ends in exactly five hours.

Will let you know! :popcorn: