Other forums

SentinelSlain

Suck my joined date.
Nov 21, 2007
I suppose this could just be a thread for discussing other forums.

Anyway my specific question is, are there any forums people know of that are frequented by pretty intelligent people who are up for reading long posts or referring to books, without tl dr and getting upset about it, idiocracy style.

I was just thinking about that movie, Idiocracy and how much it reminds me of most of the people I know who are the none intellectual type of stoner.

I used to spend a lot of time on musicbanter.com, all poetry.com, new grounds, deviant art, and some others devoid of intellect. The first two are pretty legit, although AP has some really annoying artsy douches sometimes and MB pissed me off because a mod was waving his cock around over a completely innocent post. Still, legit sites with intelligent folks.

Man. Allpoetry and DeviantArt were the bedrocks of my high school experience. I thought I was all cool and expressing myself...*shudder*

Hey man, writing poetry and engaging in contests IS cool.

Discovering the forums is not...

Same goes for DA.

The biggest presence I ever had on a forum was probably on Nation-States for a whole 9 months until I was banned. I was 12 years old and would brag to my parents (who were very supportive) when people would insult me and call me a bitter old man for supporting the death penalty for teenaged vandals. I was also a young Earth Creationist back then and still have posts of mine archived on FundiesSayTheDarndestThings. Last I checked (a few years ago), people were still registering new accounts and pretending to be me; supposedly I had legit caused someone to have an emotional breakdown or something so I guess the scars are still there.

I didn't know DeviantArt has a forum, btw. On first impression, the level of discussion seems indistinguishable from their usual comment boxes.

fwiw I wouldn't say I'm entirely non-religious today, although that's still a complicated subject for me. The quick summary would be to say that I became very serious about religion due to loneliness (a way of coping, both in the positive reinforcement sense of "Who needs friends when I have God?" and negative in the sense of "Most kids my age are disgusting hedonists anyways") and due to a couple phobias that I could manage through rituals (frequent prayer, sacrifice of things that brought me pleasure, etc). Believing in a hardcore, micromanaging deity made it easier to imagine divine involvement in my own life, but my religious fervor was always inversely correlated to how happy I was. Probably the first major turning point was when I was 16 and passed out from drinking for the first time, and I made the mistake of having a large glass of milk the following morning, as an emetophobe. I spent hours pacing around the side of the house, crying, praying, and telling myself everything was alright while fighting the nausea, and at some point I found myself passed out a second time on a pile of dirt, a few hours having passed. I continued to think happy thoughts and chant "I am healthy, God is great" a thousand times for that day, but afterwards I realized how absurd it was for a whiny hypocritical masturbating drunk to earn personal protection and not many thousands of poor Christians in Africa or elsewhere dying.

Forums of whatever games I'm playing at a given time. (Elder Scrolls Online & League of Legends at present) though I try not to bother discussing anything non-game related with those people as they're largely trolls. I'll also visit the MetalArchives forums, the Sputnikmusic/Last.fm comments can be entertaining, and Tumblr is great for pictures. Oh, and Reddit of course. Again for metal/gaming- especially at work where its not blocked =D

the phora is an 'intellectual' board of sorts which strikes up a perfect balance between autism and fascism. GMD legend demiurge moderates around those parts

this is my only forum

i used to post the league of legends forum but not anymore