Other music styles you like

ElPredicador

Yeah... Whatever
Jul 27, 2002
Santiago, Chile
WHat music genres besides prog/metal do you like? but I don't mean "Yeah I can stand that", but music you actually put in your cd player.
Mine: i like: 70's hardrock, 80's pop (Tears for fears rules!!), first half of 90's electronic-pop (the music from a night at the roxbury, for example), electronic music, modern jazz (70's till now, don't like standard that much), classical music (specially baroque and contemporanean).

List yours!

Prog Rock
Prog Metal
Flamenco
"Grunge"
Alternative Rock
Alternative Metal
Post Rock
Black Metal
Blues
Irish trad
Breton trad
Western classical music (especially Romantic and 20th century)
Indian classical music
Death Metal
Electronica
Folk (when mixed with other styles)
Funk
World Fusion
Gothic Rock and Metal
Hard Rock (especially Thin Lizzy)
Jazz
Jazz Fusion
Neo-Classical (NOT the shreddy wanking kind)
Pop
Power Metal
Psychedelic Rock
Punk
Soul (not that Motown cheese)
Thrash Metal
Trip-Hop
Frank Zappa

:worship: Antonio Lucio Vivaldi

Other than Vivaldi, I also enjoy Beethoven, Bach and Mozart as well. I must say, overall, Vivaldi is easily the best Baroque artist and my favorite Classical artist overall.

Otherwise, I absolutly LOVE power metal, which is the music that gives me the "full-body orgasm when-listening-to-music" feeling everytime I pop in a good power metal record. I love it!

I am throughly enjoy folk/viking metal such as :headbang: THYRING :headbang: and Moonsorrow. Epic, powerful, majestic, Nordic ... AMAZING! :D

Also, I like what I like to call "extreme melodic metal" ... being bands such as Norther, Kalmah and Children Of Bodom. Killer stuff! :Spin:

That about covers it for me :)

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Neo-Classical (NOT the shreddy wanking kind)

Then what neo-classical do you like?:ill:

I REALLY like jazz/fusion. The really complicated and grooving kind like Tirble Tech, Vital Tech Tones, Frank Gambale, Greg Howe, Holdsworth, Al DiMeola etc...
I also like death metal (mostly technical death) like Nile, Cryptopsy, Cynic, Opeth, Soilwork, Death etc...
Also most metal (but i can't stand Black metal and Nu-Metal)
Classical is one of the most divine styles of music out there, so you can't deny that.
South american/brazilian groove music is also very fun and groovy.
What about Old-school jazz like Djanjo Rienhart (sp?), Theolonius Monk (sp?), Wes Montgomery (sp?)
Some real funk that only Black people can produce is very fun aswell. And i do NOT mean the shitty, cheezy kind in the mainstreem rap/R&B MTV shit.

Yeah, so there.

Oakenson said:
Other than Vivaldi, I also enjoy Beethoven, Bach and Mozart as well. I must say, overall, Vivaldi is easily the best Baroque artist and my favorite Classical artist overall.
Vivaldi is my personal violin fav, but out of the Baroque period, I think Scarlatti is by far the best, IMO.

My current genre fav's:

blues - most rock - most metal - a little in the Romantic period, most all of the Baroque and Classical periods, hardly any 20th cent. - opera - 1995+ jungle/break-beat/electronic/trip-hop and a little generic house(drum & bass) - early 90's alt rock(I guess it's commonly called grunge) - acid jazz - smooth jazz - funk - celtic - flamenco - Gregorian chant - mariachi - ambient - bluegrass - some gothic

I'm a big fan of Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits, as well as many many female fronted bands like Cocteau Twins and Bjork era Sugarcubes.

There are just so many awesome genre's it's hard to think of them all.

black, death, thrash, power, prog, some ohter stuff. not much outside of metal sees my cd player on a regular basis. Though i enjoy some *gasp* pop, like the finish pop/metal band H.I.M. And if anyone remembers +ogether from mtv's show that was ripping on boy bands, they are deffinately enjoyable because they are funny as hell (i recommend "rub one out" lol)

I forgot to mention Celtic music!

Irish folk/Celtic music is amazing music, and I listen to my few Celtic discs quite often. I am beginning to look into artists that create Celtic music, and I ordered my first Celtic CD by an actual artists ... I can't wait to get it! :)

By the way, the CD I ordered was Enaid - Avalon: A Celtic Legend.

Other than the usual metal/prog/hard rock, I'm a big fan of old school singers like Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra. Tony Bennett's voice is strong enough to compete with even the most well-trained metal singer and the guy is in his 70s. :) I'm also into bands like Social Distortion, The Cramps, and the godly Reverend Horton Heat. And I've recently developed a taste for lighter electronic synth-pop stuff (Dive, Elbow, Tweaker, etc). I use that stuff to relax as well as when giving or receiving a massage. Somehow Opeth didn't seem to work. ;)

~Christina

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Therion, Lacrimosa, Hollenthon and Nightwish.

Neo-Classical? Perhaps Classical inspired metal bands...

I would say movie soundtracks are much more Neo-Classical than anything else since they are Classical music of this era.

I listen to Progmetal, some Powermetal, some Death (Soilwork, Atheist, Cynic, Nile), Meshuggah( what genre is it?), Guitar Virtuoso(McAlpine, G. Howe, P.Gilbert), R.I.O. (Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Art Zoyd), Canterbury(Gong, UK, National Health),Fusion, Old Sympho Prog(YES, King Crimson, Camel, ELP), Iron Maiden, Classic (Wagner, Chopin, Stravinski, Schnitke?), Neo- Prog (Arena, IQ, Anekdoten),
70 Hard Rock :headbang:, Blackmore's Night.

What I don't like: Divinization of DT/Mike Portnoy, Rush(except one of their live albums, Pain of Salvation, Black Metal( see 101 rules of forum member rule #? maybe 8 :)), all MTV stuff.

I'm totally into Peter Tosh and Old Bob Marley and the Wailers at the moment.

Just got Peter Tosh complete Captured Live and Mystic Man with a smoking version of Buk-in-Ham Palace on it.

Other music I like funk, funkrock, punk, ska, old soul.