Favorite Bassist fo all time?

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Who is your favorite bassist? Describe his style, and the effect he has on you, and the music he plays...

For me, it would definately be Chris Squire of Yes.. His bass is in the front of the music, and weaves in and out of the music all over the place, at one point, he'll lead it, and then he'll accompany it. His skill is amazing, close to many of those solo bassists that make a career out of their lightning fingers. Through all Yes's styles he's there, through the spaced out prog of the 70's, the pop rock opf the 80's, and the mom music of the 90's (lol) you can just here his signature technique. The low end of yes has always been prominent and it makes the band I think.

I completely agree, Chris Squire is one of the best bass players alive today.
Other favorites include Martin Mendez, and Jeff Berlin (this guy has done just about everything, but focuses on fusion and prog)

Les Claypool :headbang:

He's been responsible for some pretty fucked up music, but it's cool. Awesome technique, and awesome riffs. And his vocals are cool as hell :lol:

Oh yeah, he's in Primus, for those that don't know.

Morningrise-Jeff Berlin is amazing! Ever hear his stuff on Bill Brufords solo stuff with Alan Holdsworth? It's insane!

My inspiration and reason for learning to play bass is Geddy Lee. Playing along with all the Rush stuff when I was in High School helped make me a very good musician. He's my fave.

A bit weird that no-one has mentioned Johan DeFarfalla this far, isn't it. I mean, he isn't necessarily the best bass-player there is, but damn does his style fit Orchid and Morningrise, IMHO.

And I agree with Myung and DiGiorgio, they're both great in their own way.

-Villain (whose father and brother are both bassists - am I cursed or something?..)

Umm, have you seen him play? Trust me, he frets the notes, that slappy sound is his other hand, he does dynamics and stuff (doesn't always sound good though :lol: ). I'll have to check out that other guy later, but I totally conceed that Les isn't the best. He's just my favourite. :D

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
Umm, have you seen him play? Trust me, he frets the notes, that slappy sound is his other hand, he does dynamics and stuff (doesn't always sound good though :lol: ). I'll have to check out that other guy later, but I totally conceed that Les isn't the best. He's just my favourite. :D

Trust me, I have worked with some truly great session bassists, Les is a hack. And yes, I have seen him live. All he does is moves his hand around and mutes strings. He has gotten where he is on quirkiy songs and image.