Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

Amogh

The Philosopher
Nov 25, 2006
Mumbai, India.
Cross-posting this from another forum.

Do you?

Well, I don't to a great extent... Metal has made me more 'musically enlightened', so to speak... but I still abhor trance, hiphop and pop, and the fans who speak like they're the ultimate authority about music. It's sacriliegious to call those genres music, IMHO.

Post your views.

Nope, I love metal, but then I also love rock. And i like listening to classical and some country and western.....

Eclectic is the best word to describe my musical taste, but metal is my first love.

But then apparently I have crap musical tatse so what would I KNOW ?

I look down on stupid people who don't seek to improve themselves. I don't really give a crap about what they listen to.

i am more likely to look down on metal fans for being uppity retards (see: "It's sacriliegious to call those genres music, IMHO.")

Me too. Being called a metalhead should be considered an insult, not a compliment.

I don't necessarily look down on the people who listen to rap, pop, r&b, but find the music itself to be somewhat lacking. Also I think that there is music which is more complex, such as Progressive Rock, and Classical Music, which I can imagine people who listen to must think of metal as being not even a real form of music. But I think it's safe to say that metal is one of the most progressive and accomplished forms of western music...

i am more likely to look down on metal fans for being uppity retards (see: "It's sacriliegious to call those genres music, IMHO.")

When it comes to moshing, I feel the same way. Also I can't stand nu-metal and people who don't really know shit about 'underground' metal... But otherwise I give credit to metalheads in a way, and I wouldn't call them "uppity", what do you mean by that anyway. Do you think people should be conformists or should not challenge the norms of society?????????????????????????

I don't like people who make sweeping generalizations about genres and other people's tastes in music. Pretentious know it-alls and raging elitists are another pet peeve

When it comes to moshing, I feel the same way. Also I can't stand nu-metal and people who don't really know shit about 'underground' metal... But otherwise I give credit to metalheads in a way, and I wouldn't call them "uppity", what do you mean by that anyway. Do you think people should be conformists or should not challenge the norms of society?????????????????????????

what exactly are you talking about? i recommend a dictionary sir.

I certainly felt superior when I pulled up at the lights the other day and was listening to The Rack, and the guy in the car next to me was blaring Britney Spears out of his window.

OK, let me rephrase that. What I'm trying to say is that I feel that it's absolutely retarded to judge someone by his/her musical preferences alone. Having said that, people who say that metal is "noise" and a less valid form of music, need to kicked square in the nuts.

I only look down of people if they look down on me as a metalhead. Basically, I look down on the closed minded people. You don't have to like metal for me to think of you as an equal, but don't insult my musical tastes just because you don't understand it. :zzz:

I assume he means that the stereotypical metalhead is the kind of person who considers anything that isn't metal (or 'true metal') to be 'pussy music' and who makes sweeping generalizations about other music genres (ie. "genre X or Y shouldn't even be considered music") while at the same time having absolutely no musical perspective whatsoever to base those claims on. And just generally overvaluing the importance and superiority of the metal scene.

Metal is a fantastic genre of music, but it isn't the be all and fucking end all of music. If it's all someone wants to listen to then hey, fine with me. But then don't make retarded claims and exude some kind of sense of superiority which is based on absolutely nothing.

No, because it is childish to do so. It s like a kid goin "ooh look my toy is so much better than yours"!
ANY type of music deserves respect be that rap, hip-hop or techno.
I hate some bands, but that does not mean I have to look down upon people who like them, and keep rattling about how great my music tastes are comparing to theirs.
A good example of that happening is going in another thread in this very forum, where a guy asks for the music thats similar to his tastes, and half of the people go: oohhh my music tastes are better... ohh listen to some Linking Park, metal is not for you..wtf is this all about? We are not some kind of bloody "elite club" just coz we like this music!

Sorry if I sounded mean to anyone there, but this "metal elite" stuff is really pissing me off sometimes.