Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

Amogh

The Philosopher
Nov 25, 2006
Mumbai, India.
Do you?

Well, I don't to a great extent... Metal has made me more 'musically enlightened', so to speak... but I still abhor trance, hiphop and pop. It's sacriliege to call those genres music.

Post your views!

Respectfully...this is probably not the forum for such a question. I suspect this is better suited to the General Discussion forum or the like, as it is hardly a philosophical issue one way or the other.

Agreed with OldScratch.

But I can say that I respect music to no end. I respect those who write it, record it, and play it live. I've gone through every sort of phase there can be, and I'm actually in a huge trance/techno kick the last few months. I absolutely love zoning out to it while I'm just staring into space or trying to do my homework actually, I find trance/techno to very focusing. But I'd have to say that trance, hip-hop and pop are indeed genres of music; it's a way for an artist to express themselves. Sure, a lot of what we see is catered towards the biggest of the big in the music industry, but there's a lot that is unseen from the all-seeing eye of the public which is great in its own right. Just last year I found a pop/rock band that I fell in love with and can't wait to find more of it. It's unfortunate you feel that way towards some of the music I love, but beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder, eh? :kickass: :p

Yeah, truly... but I am totally against the crass commercial aspect part of it.

@Mods: Sorry for starting this thread here. Could you please move it to an appropriate section?

I personally don't care what people listen to. If its metal, then thats great - if not, it doesnt bother me.

But to a large extent, a lot of people who listen to mainstream music are rather ignorant in regards to the music that they listen to. For example, liking a band for only one popular song and knowing next to nothing about them...This usually isn't the case with fans of metal. I'm quite knowledgeable on the music I listen to.

I know this thread is just a copy of an already existing one and should be closed, but i just wanted to reply to Vittra's post.

"liking a band for only one popular song"
Thats what i don't get about people. They play the one song over and over and over on repeat for a few weeks, then move onto another song. And if they buy the album containing that song, they skip half the songs in the album when they listen to it.

I can't do that shit, i have to listen to it the whole way through. But i guess thats how the mainstream game is played.