Do I even count as a "Metalhead"

Mischief

New Metal Member
Jul 18, 2013
Earth.
Hmm, okiday.. Naturally, by the very fact I question my capability of holding the title, I would lean toward no.. That being said, I'll explain momentarily.

The argument:

For:
I like well written solos (Gorod's Disavow Your God is beautiful)
I like heavy, crushingly heavy music. (Note, I did say music)
I do listen to some bands that fall under various subgenres of metal, such as Nevermore, Flyleaf (some of their music, such as I'm So Sick qualifies.. Love that song), some Breaking Benjamin and Animals As Leaders, and a little Deftones, Gorod* and SOAD. (Which leads me to the suspicion that alternative metal is probably what I enjoy the most.
(Oh yeah, and on the instrumental side, I've enjoy the videos I've seen of Ola Englund, and Artificial Fear.. Yes, I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan. :)
And lastly, I am planning on starting a metal band.. (Probably a heavier Alt-metal band with a few progressive, tech death, and who-knows-what-else.. Probably jazz, elements and influences thrown in.

Against:
I see so many arguments and fights over "who's more metal", it really seems like a massive invisible wiener measurement competition... I'm just a guy who like heavy music, among other genres. I don't primarily listen to it, I just listen to it when I want to.
I have no piercings, tattoos (though I am considering getting a tribal phoenix tattoo that my best friend designed, on my chest..)
I'm a really laid back guy, who's quite sarcastic as well, but still, if music itself was a personality, I would be the love-child of Two Door Cinema Club, Closure In Moscow, and maybe a little Gorod thrown in. :)
I don't really care about the whole "metal look", or trying to look metal. If you like the costumes and makeup, that's fine.. I wear costumes and makeup too, sometimes, but that's a different story (aside from music, I'm an actor).
Although I like a few songs here and there by Metallica and Priest, I don't really listen to them.. In fact, aside from those two, and maybe a couple others, I tend to avoid almost any metal band that sounds like the 1980s vocally, or guitar wise.
And lastly.. I don't like EMG pickups, solid state amps (give me a Mesa any day), or anything that says "Line 6" on it. haha
I will admit, aside from Gorod, I don't really get into most music that nigh entirely have screamed/growled vocals. I'm not judging anyone for liking that, to each his own, I say. Of course, as someone pointed out on a different thread, most genres that have entirely screamed vocals, it's not about the vocals as much as it is the instrumentation.. Perhaps that's why I still like Gorod.

Basically, I'm a laid back guy who wears vests, drinks tea (along with a nice moscato here and there) enjoys some heavy music, and doesn't really care about looking or sounding "metal".. Well, aside from the music I'll be making.

Part of me wants to say you're thinking about it too hard and the other part makes me want to say who gives a fuck?

Part of me wants to say you're thinking about it too hard and the other part makes me want to say who gives a fuck?

Part of me wants to agree, and the other part of me agrees with that last part two, and the other part of me is clearly overthinking it, for the sake of pure curiosity..
I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts.. This also qualifies as a warning, if anyone ever says "Wait, do you even LISTEN to metal?". haha

I was tempted to post this into the "controversial views' thread.

Stick around here, kid. A number of us are shorthairs. This is me playing bass guitar in my "alt metal" (did you really say that) band.

One of my friends told me in a single night that the two acceptable metal looks are bald + beard, and long hair + shaved face, and that my band's sound checks are more entertaining than most band's sets - we check mics by singing "puppykittypuppykittypuppykitty", guitar by playing Zelda songs, and sax and flute with popular smooth jazz melodies.

We've still been included in and embraced by the metal scene. Don't think about it too much and be yourself. You sound pretty awesome.

Has everyone seen that Dead Can Dance interview where the guy says that he worries about grownups who still wear long hair, and then says that metal is something that pubescent males go through?

Metalhead is being a fan of and putting effort into discovering the music. IE taking the initiative to find metal outside of what is force fed to you. Who gives a fuck how you dress/cut your hair/etc.

Is that supposed to offend me or something?

I'm into both metal and Dead Can Dance but yeah, that was to offend you. What?

The interview is from just a few days ago and I watched it this morning, on a metal account to boot, so that's why I brought it up.

Most people into metal are also into music like darkwave and vice versa, so it's interesting that even those types of non-metal bands look down on metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
They clearly have a skewed view of "metal" as a musical genre and probably view Slipknot and Disturbed as metal. That being said, I didn't watch the interview because tl;dr.

My definition of a "Metalhead" is somebody who listens to Metal, and prefers it to other genres of music. If you don't listen to Metal a lot, you're not a "Metalhead". Simple as that.

Has everyone seen that Dead Can Dance interview where the guy says that he worries about grownups who still wear long hair, and then says that metal is something that pubescent males go through?

He's probably just jealous because he can't grow any hair.

(Which leads me to the suspicion that alternative metal is probably what I enjoy the most.
(Oh yeah, and on the instrumental side, I've enjoy the videos I've seen of Ola Englund, and Artificial Fear.. Yes, I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan.
And lastly, I am planning on starting a metal band.. (Probably a heavier Alt-metal band with a few progressive, tech death, and who-knows-what-else.. Probably jazz, elements and influences thrown in.

What on earth is going on in this ( ) fest?

Number one - There is no such thing as a quality moscato.

Number two - Anyone that feels the need to prove themselves as metal, or tell others that they are not is a silly winky wrangler that needs to get over throwing their tastes around as though they were some kind of credentials.

Stick around here, kid. A number of us are shorthairs. This is me playing bass guitar in my "alt metal" (did you really say that) band.

One of my friends told me in a single night that the two acceptable metal looks are bald + beard, and long hair + shaved face, and that my band's sound checks are more entertaining than most band's sets - we check mics by singing "puppykittypuppykittypuppykitty", guitar by playing Zelda songs, and sax and flute with popular smooth jazz melodies.

We've still been included in and embraced by the metal scene. Don't think about it too much and be yourself. You sound pretty awesome.

Nice bass! What kind? I got a warwick double buck corvette myself. Love that bass. Sounds fantastic and it plays smooth as fuck.

I'm also a short hair.

366497_artist.jpg

The only criteria of being a "metalhead" is constantly listening to metal and actively finding new artists. Nowadays, (at least in New York) I see a lot of people dressed in studs and spikes, crosses and all sorts of metal shit, but you can just look at them and tell they don't really listen to metal, just like the fashion (which is cool). I've also seen kids wear shirts with kittens that have the upside down cross on their foreheads.... Satan is popular now! Therefore, how you look shouldn't really come into play.

I'm Jamaican and my hair is bigger than my head... who cares. :rofl:

Do you have to tattoo James Hetfield on your butt cheek to be a metal head?:Spin:

Most people into metal are also into music like darkwave and vice versa, so it's interesting that even those types of non-metal bands look down on metal.

Sounds like they don't know what side their bread is buttered on. That's like if a Chinese restaurant owner talked shit about Jews on Christmas.